Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

solar site surveys question

holguinerito

Reaction score
did not know where to post this . I was wondering if anyone has a idea of the pricing per house when doing solar site surveys . Im currently in the LA Los Angeles area with a job offer but the pay looks too low to me ( around 75$ per house , and wanted to know what is the average fee for a job like this . ???? .. thanks in advance .

Last edited:
did not know where to post this . I was wondering if anyone has a idea of the pricing per house when doing solar site surveys . Im currently in the LA Los Angeles area with a job offer but the pay looks too low to me ( around 75$ per house , and wanted to know what is the average fee for a job like this . ???? .. thanks in advance .
It’s average and it’s too low.

What is the deliverable? Are you just doing data aquisition? Do they want RGB and Thermal? How many jobs a day? How far away are the Jobs. what is the square footage or Acrerage?

Reasonable in California is $100.00 per hour on site, plus travel. The next question I have, what are you flying. For roof, (solar inspections) you need up close detail. One of the problems with solar on roofs and drones is you can't see under the panels. I had a home inspection business for a while and used the drone for roof inspections. Roofs with solar panels I needed to get on the roof and inspect under the panels to do a proper inspection.

Reactions: Erhin
OP if you are just going to do the solar panels only, make sure you disclaim in a contract what you are and are not doing. And Error and Omission insurance is a good idea for any type of inspections. Here in NJ this starts to get cloudy. In NJ you do NOT have to be a roof contractor or home inspector to inspect solar panels, but when you start to make judgement on the roof it sits on, you are in a gray area. Make sure you speak with a lawyer, others doing this type of business in your area and a general liability and error and omissions insurance agent (insurance reps can talk to lawyers specializing in these fields they may have on retainer). Also don't forget about a certification (Helps to establish your credibility) in thermography. I am currently in Home Inspection school and my teacher always says "In this business it's not if you get sued, but when".

Good luck in your business!

Reactions: R.Perry
Also beware of the effect of reflected sunlight on the UAV and its object avoidance and control systems.

Reactions: Erhin
OP if you are just going to do the solar panels only, make sure you disclaim in a contract what you are and are not doing. And Error and Omission insurance is a good idea for any type of inspections. Here in NJ this starts to get cloudy. In NJ you do NOT have to be a roof contractor or home inspector to inspect solar panels, but when you start to make judgement on the roof it sits on, you are in a gray area. Make sure you speak with a lawyer, others doing this type of business in your area and a general liability and error and omissions insurance agent (insurance reps can talk to lawyers specializing in these fields they may have on retainer). Also don't forget about a certification (Helps to establish your credibility) in thermography. I am currently in Home Inspection school and my teacher always says "In this business it's not if you get sued, but when".

Good luck in your business!

I know there are always exceptions, but if a home inspector that knows his trade does a proper inspection and documentation with proper disclaimers it lessens the chance of a suit. I was sued once and won including all court and legal fees.

Is this through EagleView where you attend an online training and then they send you around to conduct drone inspections on houses?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143