Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Something to think about for those flying in Florida.

MichaelMuni

Reaction score
If you are in Florida and you are using a radio to monitor air traffic. If the radio you have is capable of receiving any communications for EMS, Fire, or Law enforcement, you are not able to legally "transport" it in your car no matter if it is on/off. If you have a valid Amateur radio operator license from the FCC you are exempt from this law and can legally transport the radio in your car to the location you plan to fly.

All of our local services have switched to Digital Trunking technology, so you have to have special radio AND access to those trunks to receive the broadcasts. It's rendered the older scanners to static. None of my radios that I use to monitor air traffic frequencies are digital.

Do local services in Florida still use the old technology? They haven't switched to the secured Digital Trunking?

I’m in miami. They moved mostly over to digital trunk but its not 100%, I still get some of them on conventional.

I have an SDS100 that I use to listen to whats going on around Miami-Dade County, was planning on using it when I fly. Just got my part 107 cert, waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I decided to try and do some research about it since I always heard you cant listen to scanner in the car but never actually went as far as to look for confirmation. That’s when I found the law about “transporting” the radio in a car. Luckily I am a HAM so I should be OK. KK4DJI

I thought aviation frequencies and LE frequencies were on different bands. I don’t know of any aviation radios/scanners that can pick up land-based (non-aviation) channels, though I suppose there may be scanners with wide enough bandwidth to pick up both sets of frequencies.

If you are in Florida and you are using a radio to monitor air traffic. If the radio you have is capable of receiving any communications for EMS, Fire, or Law enforcement, you are not able to legally "transport" it in your car no matter if it is on/off. If you have a valid Amateur radio operator license from the FCC you are exempt from this law and can legally transport the radio in your car to the location you plan to fly.

You can legally transported as long as it is off.

Attachments

• D1D004FB-8B66-49C2-9BFB-4A57F34E1A37.jpeg
    D1D004FB-8B66-49C2-9BFB-4A57F34E1A37.jpeg
    902.2 KB · Views: 7
I thought aviation frequencies and LE frequencies were on different bands. I don’t know of any aviation radios/scanners that can pick up land-based (non-aviation) channels, though I suppose there may be scanners with wide enough bandwidth to pick up both sets of frequencies.
The scanner I use can pick up both.

that does not mean on/off, that means a device CAPABLE of listening to those frequencies.

the law used to say that you could not have a police scanner installed in a car while driving (installed defined as connected to cars power) and has since been updated to installed OR TRANSPORTED.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM