Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

South African Regulations

Reaction score
Does anyone have any concrete knowledge of what the regulations are here in SA.

There's a lot of fear mongering and threats etc, but I haven't come across any laws that have been passed yet.

If there's any of you in the know please would you point me in the right direction.

Thanks a million.

Leon

I was there in Sept of 2017
In Cape Town I didn't have any problems flying except on top of table mountain.
I flew an entire battery of my mavic pro and when I brought it back to me, on security guard came over and said I can't do that here.
that I can get a fine. so I just told him, I didn't know that Im so sorry, and he was cool about it. I was able to keep the footage too.
other than that I was every where with it. I even flew it off a boat while I went great white cage diving. got permission from the captain and he was super cool about it.

In limpopo near Johannesburg we also stayed at a wildlife reserve where the resort was in the safari with the wild animals. (2 weeks prior to us getting there a cheetah hunted and killed a kudu infront of the reception entrance. super cool) but it was super safe.
They told me No I couldn't fly the drone because of the safety of the Rhino. Theres such a bad pouching problem with the rhinos that they didn't want any drones in the air. which I respected. we were even asked not to tag any of the rhino photos or video with the reserve we was at. they didn't want the poachers to know how many rhino live there.

As long as you ask for permission and your granted with it you can fly over their property. I never had any issue except for the top of table mountain.

Hope this helps. you can see some videos I took in south africa on my youtube channel to see where I've flown.

We’re filming over in SA in April, but I’m not going to risk taking our I1 Pro over. I’ve spoken to licensed flyers in the country & their regulations are the most stringent I’ve ever heard.

We may risk putting our Mavic or Spark in a kit bag to grab some chance cutaways - but I’d advise against anyone planning on shooting legally. I emailed the SA CAA about 4 weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply on the most basic enquiry.

We’re filming over in SA in April, but I’m not going to risk taking our I1 Pro over. I’ve spoken to licensed flyers in the country & their regulations are the most stringent I’ve ever heard.

We may risk putting our Mavic or Spark in a kit bag to grab some chance cutaways - but I’d advise against anyone planning on shooting legally. I emailed the SA CAA about 4 weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply on the most basic enquiry.

I'm getting my RPL on the 19th of this month and have been flying for over a year now.
I'm based in Pretoria, so if you're keen I can always fly for / with you.

Drop me a message [email protected]
or whatsapp me when you get here +2772 099 1434

I was there in Sept of 2017
In Cape Town I didn't have any problems flying except on top of table mountain.
I flew an entire battery of my mavic pro and when I brought it back to me, on security guard came over and said I can't do that here.
that I can get a fine. so I just told him, I didn't know that Im so sorry, and he was cool about it. I was able to keep the footage too.
other than that I was every where with it. I even flew it off a boat while I went great white cage diving. got permission from the captain and he was super cool about it.

In limpopo near Johannesburg we also stayed at a wildlife reserve where the resort was in the safari with the wild animals. (2 weeks prior to us getting there a cheetah hunted and killed a kudu infront of the reception entrance. super cool) but it was super safe.
They told me No I couldn't fly the drone because of the safety of the Rhino. Theres such a bad pouching problem with the rhinos that they didn't want any drones in the air. which I respected. we were even asked not to tag any of the rhino photos or video with the reserve we was at. they didn't want the poachers to know how many rhino live there.

As long as you ask for permission and your granted with it you can fly over their property. I never had any issue except for the top of table mountain.

Hope this helps. you can see some videos I took in south africa on my youtube channel to see where I've flown.

Nice footage. ;-)
Have subscribed ... you can see my channel here: film MAGNIFICATION Pty (Ltd)

Awesome. Hope you have a fantastic time. This place is breathtaking so I'm sure you're going to have a blast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC