Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

State Park Access ...

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
I am fortunate to live in the beautiful state of Maine. There are scores of State Park Land as well as Wildlife Reserves, etc. (and a smattering of Federal lands). Research has shown the to film in a State park, a "special activity permit" is required. The park lands are divided into 4 regions in the state, each with an administrative head.

I've recently had 2 discussions with one of these individuals, looking to gain information about just how to obtain a special activity permit for filming purposes. I submitted samples of my work and stated my desire to obtain a permit for a specific park and project (with no known client). The initial discussion was positive, about possibilities for state contract possibilities - working for them for instance. The return call promised never materialized so I pressed and initiated the discussion again.

The 2nd conversation, which I had to initiate, was not so optimistic. I was informed that in order to film (nothing whatsoever was mentioned about a "special activity permit") I would have to fill out a fee application. The initial fee is $500 to film and enter into a "commercial purpose agreement" where monies would change hands. There are other fees depending on time, date and location inferred from this individual.

Perhaps they decided that my work did not meet their qualitative criterion. I have enough confidence and feedback in my product to know that were this case, I would probably not be interested in doing any type of business with them.

Has anyone else thought of obtaining (or actually obtained) permission to film/fly in their state's state parks?

I'm interested to see how common or how different other states may be working this.

I have dealt with this in California, some parks have no restrictions on flying drones, others do. The smaller parks can be accessed from outside the park and fly into the park as long as there is no restricted air space like over National Parks. This doesn't make friends with the park people, but they can not control airspace, only the FAA can. I filmed point Arena lighthouse that way, I stood just outside the entrance sign that stated no drones allow along with other information.

Since I live very close to Yosemite park I did had a conversation with the park superintendent and he told me that under certain conditions they will allow drones for filming, but here again it is a money pit because you need approval from the tree huggers ( wild life people), a specific purpose that is consistent with park policy, and pay for any costs such as having a ranger tag along to make sure you follow the rules. I was interested in filming during the winter time and hopefully being able to film some areas that are inaccessible during the winter months. I never pursued it beyond the conversation I had because of the costs.

We did discuss using drones for search and rescue and he seemed very interested in that aspect. People get lost in Yosemite and a regular basis.

Reactions: Avocet
I have dealt with this in California, some parks have no restrictions on flying drones, others do. The smaller parks can be accessed from outside the park and fly into the park as long as there is no restricted air space like over National Parks. This doesn't make friends with the park people, but they can not control airspace, only the FAA can. I filmed point Arena lighthouse that way, I stood just outside the entrance sign that stated no drones allow along with other information.

Since I live very close to Yosemite park I did had a conversation with the park superintendent and he told me that under certain conditions they will allow drones for filming, but here again it is a money pit because you need approval from the tree huggers ( wild life people), a specific purpose that is consistent with park policy, and pay for any costs such as having a ranger tag along to make sure you follow the rules. I was interested in filming during the winter time and hopefully being able to film some areas that are inaccessible during the winter months. I never pursued it beyond the conversation I had because of the costs.

We did discuss using drones for search and rescue and he seemed very interested in that aspect. People get lost in Yosemite and a regular basis.

I've certainly done some of those perimeter take-offs and landings. If you look on Google maps however, boundaries of the state park zones are sketchy to say the least. I have a Litchi mission planned for a shoot and I'm not certain if I'm in the park or not according to Google Maps. I've posted a graphic of the plan. Does it look legal? (Assuming no other issues like people, etc.) The airspace is not a constraint.
PophamFly.png

As it is in California, the state parks area are outlined in green, as is yours. I would think you are outside the state park based on the above map. Since there isn't a distance legend shown, will you be able to see the drone at all times?

I see you are flying over one island, but not the other, is there a reason?

As it is in California, the state parks area are outlined in green, as is yours. I would think you are outside the state park based on the above map. Since there isn't a distance legend shown, will you be able to see the drone at all times?

I see you are flying over one island, but not the other, is there a reason?

Understood. But I'm skeptical that Google is the source of record for political or park boundaries. Since the beauracracies do not readily supply boundary maps it will be in my favor in this instance to go with the big G.

As far as my island fly overs, one is an interesting 18th century home on a forested sliver of a rock with a great story and the other is a National Historical Site (lighthouse) that I will orbit, being careful to avoid nesting terns.

Just out of view to the north is another planned mission of a State Historical site, a civil war fort that guards the river mouth. It too is outside of the green areas. Navigating crowds by appropriately timed flights will be the other challenge. This will be VLOS. Let's open a can of worms and fly it using goggles... :cool:

APPEND: Now after revisiting Skyvector, it appears as though the launch site is in a NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, a different ball of wax. See the next post.

Last edited:
Understood. But I'm skeptical that Google is the source of record for political or park boundaries. Since the beauracracies do not readily supply boundary maps it will be in my favor in this instance to go with the big G.

As far as my island fly overs, one is an interesting 18th century home on a forested sliver of a rock with a great story and the other is a National Historical Site (lighthouse) that I will orbit, being careful to avoid nesting terns.

Just out of view to the north is another planned mission of a State Historical site, a civil war fort that guards the river mouth. It too is outside of the green areas. Navigating crowds by appropriately timed flights will be the other challenge. This will be VLOS. Let's open a can of worms and fly it using goggles... :cool:

APPEND: Now after revisiting Skyvector, it appears as though the launch site is in a NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE, a different ball of wax. See the next post.

The blue refuge circle is that beach head in the original image (red star).

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 11.43.00 AM.png

I haven't had to deal with wildlife refuges but that is probably a real can of worms. You will most likely be dealing with wildlife management people and department of fish and game. I have deliberately avoided wildlife areas because of what is probably a no fly situation.

Where I work we have a few young biologist running around and they have stopped work in certain areas just because they found some bird nests, they cordon off the area and threaten life and limb if I dare fly close to them, it is just nuts.

So I would tread lightly and make sure you are ok to fly from your takeoff point. Good luck sounds like a fun shoot.

I'm still thinking I can circumnavigate one of these island refuges. No takeoff, no landing, no fly-over (btw, I was unaware of the 2000+ ft altitude req. Thanks for that.) I'm left trying to determine if I can orbit this island. Does anyone have lateral distance requirements?

Thanks for your help!

I'm still thinking I can circumnavigate one of these island refuges. No takeoff, no landing, no fly-over (btw, I was unaware of the 2000+ ft altitude req. Thanks for that.) I'm left trying to determine if I can orbit this island. Does anyone have lateral distance requirements?

Thanks for your help!

You'll be hard pressed to find details such as lateral distances etc. The FAA doesn't usually get that specific and leaves it up to "loose" interpretation should there be an incident.

Thanks for your help!

That restriction applies to aircraft and helicopters generally but I assume it could be applied to drones as well. Years ago I would take friends and family member sight seeing over Yosemite Park, back then the tree huggers hadn't screwed thing up. Today you must maintain 2000 feet over half dome or basically 12000 feet I believe. The old barn storming days are pretty much over with.

Texas DOES NOT allow it unless you have a permit from them. Then they’ll CONSIDER it. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Then they posted a picture of their wardens beginning to use drones and upon question commented they ALLOW drones in certain parks. I asked for a list to be posted. STILL WAITING.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM