Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

State Park authorization

Skyworks Aerial

Reaction score
I fly for a TV show (Inspire2) and have flown in national parks before without getting locked out by the software.
I’m being asked to fly at Paradise Cove in Malibu which is in a national park and AirMap is showing no authorization available but the California Film Commission is asking for.
Any thoughts of whether it will start up or not?
Thanks!

I'm familiar with the area. I'm not seeing any restrictions on the DJI self-unlocking page. It is within The vast Santa Monica Mountain National Recreation Area, but I have flown in many different parts of the SMMNRA with no problems from DJI. Just keep a sharp eye for low-flying planes and helicopters. Lots of those.

Reactions: Skyworks Aerial
I fly for a TV show (Inspire2) and have flown in national parks before without getting locked out by the software.
I’m being asked to fly at Paradise Cove in Malibu which is in a national park and AirMap is showing no authorization available but the California Film Commission is asking for.
Any thoughts of whether it will start up or not?
Thanks!
talk to the park commissioner

Thank you all for the help. It’s in a National Park as AirMap describes it, and in one of their red zones. The consistency is where I have an issue.
I was flying in Oakland Ca last week where I received an authorization for a 50ft cell, received an unlock code which I inputted but it failed to unlock. I know these are two separate systems and issues for this thread, I just wish there was a way to input the authorization code directly into the aircraft. But as I mentioned, it’s probably user error and I missing a step somewhere.

Be sure and remember that State and Municipalities can also impose rules/regulations for sUAS.

The National Park Service does not allow drones to be flown on Federal lands in the Santa Monica Mountains National Monument, nor does the State of California Department of Parks and Recreation allow drones on the State Park lands in that area:

Last edited:
- Both- Several agencies and private landholders manage property in the monument, including state and feds.
Your post about the State Parks is not accurate and is only for Angeles District.

Research through the State Parks link: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

Each District can set their own rules thus you need to work with the supervising range to get authority. It is when pilots just walk right into a state park and fly without prior notification results in actions just like the one in Angeles District.

I always work with the Santa Cruz district and know the supervising ranger. They are all good guys as long as you are legit and following the rules.

Your post about the State Parks is not accurate and is only for Angeles District.

Research through the State Parks link: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

Each District can set their own rules thus you need to work with the supervising range to get authority. It is when pilots just walk right into a state park and fly without prior notification results in actions just like the one in Angeles District.

I always work with the Santa Cruz district and know the supervising ranger. They are all good guys as long as you are legit and following the rules.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I did not mean to imply the whole state park system was off bounds for drones, only parts of the Santa Monica Mountains. The Angeles district is what I quoted and is what was shown in that administrative order, that is in the southeastern part of the Santa Monica Mountains, and the Channel Coast district is also part of the Santa Monica Mountains but I didn’t post their rules, although I suspect it’s probably similar or unfortunately, will be sometime soon. And as for all lands managed by the National Parks including those in the Santa Monica Mountains, they are off limits.

Last edited:

Is there links to other States links? I was trying to substitute:
www.parks.co.gov

...but no match.
I live near many State Parks and military area's, so there are many places locally that require special authorization and permissions. A reference of rules and who to contact would be helpful.

Is there links to other States links? I was trying to substitute:
www.parks.co.gov

...but no match.
I live near many State Parks and military area's, so there are many places locally that require special authorization and permissions. A reference of rules and who to contact would be helpful.

Sorry buddy I don't.

Each state park has their own rules, so it is best to contact the respective state park agency and ask.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM