Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

sUAS Near miss air collision study using Air defense monitoring system

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this article. I'm surprised it hasn't been more openly shared.

It's a good read and should be shared across all of our forums.

Reactions: GsquaredAerials
Thanks for sharing this article. I'm surprised it hasn't been more openly shared.

It's a good read and should be shared across all of our forums.
A sobering read.

Would have been nice to know if the operators of the three sUAS had been contacted about their behavior: "Of the 24 NMACs identified by Embry-Riddle researchers, Rice noted, the same three sUAS were responsible for more than half (13) of the encounters. Further, in 96% of the cases (23), the drone was operating in excess of the maximum permissible altitude for that area."

Then ask those operators if they were among this group: “Unfortunately, not all drone operators are responsible, knowledgeable, or safety-minded. Many of them are not even aware of the rules they must follow.”

1.3 miles Northeast of my local airport's runway (TYS, Knoxville, TN) is an Amazon facility they just built. When it was under construction, I did a LAANC request to fly over the site which had a 100ft ceiling. I ended up cancelling the mission as 100ft just freaked me out after seeing how close those planes flew overhead. I just replayed some inbound landings using FlightRadar24 from that side of the runway and those planes average 450-500 AGL. Sure that leaves 300ish feet of space between a drone and a COMMERCIAL AIRLINER but why would the FAA even allow that narrow of a clearance? All manned aircraft pilots probalby understand clearance risks but there are potentially millions of drone flyers out there that don't know the risks at all. At the risk of sUAS pilots having a few more hoops to jump through for jobs near airports and non-licenced flyers not being able to fly within the zone, I'm good with 5 a mile exclusion with LAANC approvals further out along the outer edges where our 400ft maximum is far below where inbound/outbound planes would be flying.

Even these guys get 1000 yards
And these guys even further ( I love this one 🤣. Bad language)

Last edited:
Interesting. In Canada, we aren't allowed to fly within 3 nautical miles of an airport. We can get permission to fly within the control zone if we have an advanced drone license and apply with the Navdrone app.

Interesting. In Canada, we aren't allowed to fly within 3 nautical miles of an airport. We can get permission to fly within the control zone if we have an advanced drone license and apply with the Navdrone app.
Although the altitude restriction grid, similar to LAANC, seems to work well – for those RPA pilots who abide by it, or even know it exists. I'm astonished by the number of Flight Reviews I do for candidates who don't understand that the 400ft restriction doesn't apply everywhere (i.e. it can be lower...)

Although the altitude restriction grid, similar to LAANC, seems to work well – for those RPA pilots who abide by it, or even know it exists. I'm astonished by the number of Flight Reviews I do for candidates who don't understand that the 400ft restriction doesn't apply everywhere (i.e. it can be lower...)
Amazing. How do they get to the point of a flight review and not know those things?

Amazing. How do they get to the point of a flight review and not know those things?
Because there are a ton of charlatans out there - both pilots and so-called course-delivery-experts - who either don't know or don't learn/teach these things. There are also some apps that candidates want to use that don't provide accurate information either. While we can't strictly ban their use, we can ask probing questions about checking the validity of the information the candidate has read in the app. I point out all this way before I even meet for a flight review, during the process of the candidate creating an SFOC-standard site survey (yep, I require a written document, not just a "It's a park, there are some people, some wires, and some trees" rubbish that some believe is sufficient - 901.27 is just the beginning of the list of information required...).

Does this mean I can't take my drone to the Reno air races this year? By the way, last year of the Reno air races, the insurance tapped them out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215