Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Surveyor/Zoning

jwaitkus

Reaction score
Is anyone doing any work for land surveyors? I was thinking aerial photos may help when appealing to a board like zoning board of appeals.

Trying to think outside the box given the saturated real estate sector.

Thinking a little different then just straight down from up high. I live on the coast and questions come up regarding if a home may or may not block a view etc. Thinking this would be a simple solution. If you had someone wondering how a view would be you could quickly get a picture from 25-35' depending on the need.

Thinking a little different then just straight down from up high. I live on the coast and questions come up regarding if a home may or may not block a view etc. Thinking this would be a simple solution. If you had someone wondering how a view would be you could quickly get a picture from 25-35' depending on the need.

Yes, that's correct jw;
I am currently involved with an Architect doing time line construction aerials.
Here is a concept,
Let's say a developer is building a high rise luxury condo and construction just started.
He has a client that possibility wants the 15th floor but not sure what the view really looks like. The developer has better chance selling that luxury condo to the client by showing the exact position of each floor view and utilizing current aerial video and photography.
He can also take the images and video put into their 3d Architectural software, do a walk through of each room with windows and then the grand final, the balcony!
wala!
Cool stuff:cool:.

Last edited:
Reactions: APEX^ZERO
land surveyor here, have been surveying for 15 years and own a surveying firm going into its 3rd year ...and I think that there are multiple uses that you could proposition surveyors with. Of course basic aerial photos like you're talking about could be useful, but rarely. For that type of work I think you'd have better luck with architects or civil engineering firms. When it comes to surveyors the biggest draw is by far topographic 3d mapping. If you could find a surveyor that would hire you to do mapping missions alongside them then you could really tap into a niche market. It wouldn't be easy as even being one of their peers I had and have a hard time convincing some of them of a drones validity for mapping. But if you could break into it and get one to let you show them how it works(and you do it correctly) they would be blown away. Beyond 3d mapping even just 2d mapping and delivering orthomosaics could prove beneficial to them. I fly every as-built or topo site that I survey now because its faster and more useful than taking field notes and my clients LOVE having an updated aerial view of their future sites and completed projects. Engineering firms are a big market as well as most of them would love better aerial imagery than google earth, most just don't know its possible for relatively cheap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM