Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

tech question- how can I operate a drone in an area not served by cell signal?

Open the app and call up the aerial while on your home WiFi and scroll about zooming in and out a bit so the area detail is in casche memory. I recommend also calling up the same area in Google Earth just to play it safe. You can turn off your screen but I DO NOT exit the app. Keep the phone (or iPad) charging as you travel to the site just to keep a full charge. In the event something goes wrong and the apps close, you can look up any local shop that has a public WiFi and head there to call up the aerial again. Panera Bread, Starbucks, local public libraries, and some McDonalds have free WiFi access. I've had to do that only once because I forgot to load the aerial before I headed out that day.

I want to use a drone for surveillance, but I cannot get cell signal. What are my options?
Cell signal is not required for most (all) consumer drones unless you are using 4g LTE for control signal, which is highly unlikely if you are asking that question.

Reactions: Gagey52
“I want to use a drone for surveillance.”

This is a statement that raises multiple red flags. What or who exactly are you wanting to surveil?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905