Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Terrain Awareness Mode _ gnss accuracy message when attempting to invoke the flight

SteveBCH

Reaction score
I've done a lot of successful 2D and 3D mapping with my P4 RTK and recently attempted to do a flight with the Terrain Awareness mode. As best as I can determine, everything was planned correctly and the DSM loaded correctly but, when attempting to invoke the launch, I would get a message "Low GNSS accuracy. Enable RTK services for increased flight safety." Wide open area, good view of the sky, lots of satellites, good communications between the drone, controller and RTK base station. Everything appeared to be good so continued on with the Invoke but nothing would start in the "Self-check Before Executing Task" screen when sliding the "Slide to Execute" slider on the yellow bar. In that same screen, the "aircraft GNSS signal" displayed "Good (14)". So, shut everything down and restarted the whole process. Did that three times with same results. As a last ditch effort and running out of time, I quickly created a 2D flight plan for the site and successfully launched and flew without any issues. Any insights as to why the system would give me that message while trying to do a Terrain Awareness mode flight when there seemed to be excellent satellite reception, and then work just fine in a regular 2D mode? What am I missing? Thanks.

Reactions: Gagey52 and MikeA
I’m following this with interest. Also have a P4RTK, and just created a dsm per Aerotas’ instructions. Can’t get the controller to see the file. Hope you can get resolution to this.

I followed the Aerotas instructions also and that went pretty smoothly. I recall having a similar problem with the controller not seeing the file on the SD card after going through the process a couple of times. I think (recall is a bit fuzzy) that I got around that by creating a new folder (the third folder layer, not the "DJI" or "DSM" folders per the instructions) with a different folder name on the SD card and put the tif and tfw in that new folder. For some reason, the Controller didn't like seeing the same folder more than once. Below is a photo of the controller screen after everything was loaded. All seemed to be good to that point. Just couldn't get the flight to invoke due to the gnss accuracy issue.

Attachments

• TA Controller Photo.jpg
    TA Controller Photo.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: MikeA
I followed the Aerotas instructions also and that went pretty smoothly. I recall having a similar problem with the controller not seeing the file on the SD card after going through the process a couple of times. I think (recall is a bit fuzzy) that I got around that by creating a new folder (the third folder layer, not the "DJI" or "DSM" folders per the instructions) with a different folder name on the SD card and put the tif and tfw in that new folder. For some reason, the Controller didn't like seeing the same folder more than once. Below is a photo of the controller screen after everything was loaded. All seemed to be good to that point. Just couldn't get the flight to invoke due to the gnss accuracy issue.
Awesome, thanks. I will try that. Im curious as to your solution. Anyone?

I’m following this with interest. Also have a P4RTK, and just created a dsm per Aerotas’ instructions. Can’t get the controller to see the file. Hope you can get resolution to this.
Steve is correct. You need to place the files in a folder inside the DSM folder. e.g. " DJI/DSM/SAMPLE-NAME" Then they should be recognized.

I've done a lot of successful 2D and 3D mapping with my P4 RTK and recently attempted to do a flight with the Terrain Awareness mode. As best as I can determine, everything was planned correctly and the DSM loaded correctly but, when attempting to invoke the launch, I would get a message "Low GNSS accuracy. Enable RTK services for increased flight safety." Wide open area, good view of the sky, lots of satellites, good communications between the drone, controller and RTK base station. Everything appeared to be good so continued on with the Invoke but nothing would start in the "Self-check Before Executing Task" screen when sliding the "Slide to Execute" slider on the yellow bar. In that same screen, the "aircraft GNSS signal" displayed "Good (14)". So, shut everything down and restarted the whole process. Did that three times with same results. As a last ditch effort and running out of time, I quickly created a 2D flight plan for the site and successfully launched and flew without any issues. Any insights as to why the system would give me that message while trying to do a Terrain Awareness mode flight when there seemed to be excellent satellite reception, and then work just fine in a regular 2D mode? What am I missing? Thanks.

When technology is needed most, it fails miserably. Fortunately I used to fly in a set known area and we had mapped most of the blind spots. Just had to break out the total station when those areas needed work done and do it old school.

Bump for the original poster. FYI, to resolve my issue, I reformatted the disk, placed only one tif in the folder and then the controller recognized the file.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215