Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Thanks Admins!

I have developed a XLS spreadsheet to get started with. Most items are checked during each preflight, but some are checked once a month. What are you guys doing?

IMG_0688.PNG An example of mine. Work in progress - ALWAYS as you discover new things.

I you the Kittyhawk app Maitenance section. It can associate maintenance with specific craft and record the type and whether it affects airworthiness.
At the moment I record firmware changes, RTH monthly tests, occasionally I report hardware changes.
Question is, am I missing something I should be doing regularly ?

Reactions: rvrrat14
My hope is to learn about everyone’s checks as well as when they saw failures in components; How Long. Hopefully to arrive at a better estimate of when things may begin to show wear/failures. Trends.

IMO, Preflight shouldn't take much time though some may want to be overly technical. As a former pilot a good walk through was suffice before flight. Ground crew would also do a walk, though a little bit more thorough. The checklist I see above is almost like a 100 hr inspection:eek:. I know my bird very well, I do not go through the hype of a daunting inspection every time I fly.
I've gone through a set of blades (6) when I noticed my bird was vibrating a bit when hovering. (touching the bird is how) this is one on my check list, but not on every flight.
There are exceptions, depending how you are set up with contracts.
I do keep a record of battery usage, all my flights hrs down to the second. I've been flying for only 10 months, 55ish hours, 200+ take offs and landings and never never any mishaps besides a propeller that flew off but able to land with out incident.

Last edited:
I'm with AH-1G on this one, I think the above checklist is a bit much. For instance I would just have inspect props. As for me I check the props and hand spin the motors and look it over for any obvious issues. One thing I noticed with my Phantom, I leave the props on, so each flight I make sure they are secure. When I first start the motors I watch the props carefully and look for any misalignment or vibration issues.

Reactions: AH-1G
My list above includes Preflight and Monthly items. It’s is NOT a PREFLIGHT ONLY list. What is not shown is the columns on the right that show date slots for monthly checks/records.

My bird stays in a case with propellers attached, too. And I check/verify secureness to the motors/hubs. I agree that the preflight should be similar to a ‘walk around’ of flight systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM