Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The Great State of New Hampshire reporting in ...

Joe Marrone

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm Joe Marrone, a long-time member of the RC community, but relatively new to drones. I have been flying giant scale fixed wing airplanes for 27 years, and out of curiosity, bought my first drone, the Blade 350 QX when it first came out, because it seemed like such a cool thing. And it was. But as you all know, from that point on, drone technology accelerated ahead at warp speed. I was working in RC Buyers Warehouse at the time (the largest RC hobby store in New England), and had the vantage point of seeing this new technology catch fir. I followed it with interest, but stayed on the sidelines to see where things were going. Meanwhile, I continued to fly planes.

As RC Buyers Warehouse was closing its doors in late 2017 (I know, we are all in mourning over this loss), I found a job with a small R&D company doing some work on their test equipment, and built several prototype pan and tilt gimbals. They eventually hired me full time to continue this work, which also involves putting their transceivers in the air to test them, ie, on a drone. So I took the Part 107 exam last November and passed, and now I am their commercial drone pilot. I fly electronic payloads, not cameras. My missions are all line-of-site. Most missions are less than 10 minutes, but we might do 4 or 5 in an afternoon. Since we have some choices as to where we fly, I can choose class G airspace for most missions, making it easier to schedule events.

I am flying a DJI Phantom 4 without camera or gimbal, and in its place, a custom bracket to hold the transceiver and battery, which together weigh about as much as the camera and gimbal, so the all up weight is about the same.

I just finished building a DJI F550 Flamewheel, upgraded with the E310 power system, and will be using the Pixhawk controller. This will be our new experimental platform as our technology matures. Once this has been test flown, I will be adding a Raspberry Pi companion computer so we can develop a true autonomous drone for our testing.

That's about it. You might say I can't wait to get out of bed in the morning and get to work. And you'd be right.

Joe

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to our newest forum .
Take a little time and look around all our subforums to find what suits you and besure to read our Guidelines and ask if you have any questions in a message to any of the staff .
Enjoy all the knowledge members have to offer .
0rojyyg-png.60

Also be sure and visit this thread CDP Giveaway - Phantom 4 Pro... :)

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Hi again:
I realize that my choice of avatar might be a little off topic, or even a little insulting, to drone pilots. Let me state here my, ahem, apology. Most of my flying buddies know I'm a avid builder of WWI Fokker warbirds. I've built and flown (and crashed) a Fokker D8, Fokker D7, and the infamous Fokker Dr1 triplane. The triplane in the picture is my pride and joy, so think of it like I was posting a picture of my favorite child. I know it isn't related to commercial drones, but humor me ... 8^}

Hi again:
I realize that my choice of avatar might be a little off topic, or even a little insulting, to drone pilots. Let me state here my, ahem, apology. Most of my flying buddies know I'm a avid builder of WWI Fokker warbirds. I've built and flown (and crashed) a Fokker D8, Fokker D7, and the infamous Fokker Dr1 triplane. The triplane in the picture is my pride and joy, so think of it like I was posting a picture of my favorite child. I know it isn't related to commercial drones, but humor me ... 8^}
Not insulting to me.;)

Hello and welcome to the Commercial Drone Pilots forum. We are glad to have you on board. I'm confident you'll find lots of helpful and enlightening information throughout this forum.

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members from all parts of the world. Here's a direct link to yours:

https://commercialdronepilots.com/account/personal-details

Your choice of an Avatar pic is a GREAT one! My passion is definitely "planks" and remember, all R/C aircraft are UAS and therefore are all "Drones" even though the mass majority of people think that drones are just MultiRotors.

Allen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91