Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The Madness has started and the FBI is on the hunt

Until enforcement is severe and very public, people will continue to “do whatever they want”.

Initially, some examples will need to be made. An opportunity for lucrative income is possible to support the law abiding drone community.

Reactions: R Martin
Although I agree with being heavy handed with restricted area violations it appears they significantly advanced initiation of a TFR for stadium use flight restrictions.

Reactions: DallasDroneGuy
Although I agree with being heavy handed with restricted area violations it appears they significantly advanced initiation of a TFR for stadium use flight restrictions.
This guy is either the dumbest person in the US or an outlaw. There is no third choice. Even people who don't fly drones are well aware of the restriction. No more wrist slaps. Hammer down.:mad:

Anyone note the dimensions of this sports related TFR? 10nm inner and 30nm outer? We have to bear in mind it’s for manned aviation as well though.

The important part was the self admission by the violator of altering the drone to bypass the safety (Geofencing) to keep it from flying, so there no defense of being unaware of the restriction.

I had not heard this.....if he intentionally altered or bypassed a safety feature keeping the drone grounded, the charges should be amplified with intentional criminal mischief.

Where did you hear this? Can you provide a source? (Important for this thread)

I had not heard this.....if he intentionally altered or bypassed a safety feature keeping the drone grounded, the charges should be amplified with intentional criminal mischief.

Where did you hear this? Can you provide a source? (Important for this thread)

I don't see it in that report but another one did mention something about it. Here's a screen shot of the other one:
aa5f6688-606b-4282-ace5-e73cadec92e4-jpeg.92715

Reactions: Recoveryone
I’m not seeing your screenshot Al....but secondary confirmation is good.

That's right... I can't link like that LOL! My bad...

Here's a direct link to the page where it's being discussed.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I don’t believe it’s possible people don’t or didn’t know they weren’t supposed to fly at or near the Super Bowl. You just can’t be playing with high tech equipment and pretend you’ve been cut off from the internet and the news media.

I don’t believe it’s possible people don’t or didn’t know they weren’t supposed to fly at or near the Super Bowl. You just can’t be playing with high tech equipment and pretend you’ve been cut off from the internet and the news media.

Intentionally modifying the aircraft/flight control system to defeat the flight restriction clearly demonstrates knowledge of restricted flight area and intention to illegally operate the aircraft.

Personally, I hope they impose every bit of the 1 year prison sentence and $30k fine. Perhaps even add more because he intentionally defeated the flight control system. Blatant disregard for the law and an attitude of “doesn’t apply to me, just everyone else”.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. And, given the $20,000 fine imposed on the California tourist who let his drone land at KLAS, it looks like the FAA has moved beyond the "education and compliance" phase.

My apologies for digressing, but IMHO it's also time to close some of the compliance loopholes. Top of the list should be mandatory point-of-purchase registration of all sUAS over .55 lbs. (Yes, I've heard the argument that some retailers will stop selling drones to avoid the hassle: let them. There will be enough sellers who stay in the game - if a POP reg. is applied evenly to all.) Next, the FAA needs to modify the current Remote ID rule proposal to reflect the recommendations of its own advisory committee. Specifically, adopt a RID system that minimizes cost to the end user (and thus promotes compliance) and drop the proposal for a pay-to-play system that seems designed to enrich third party "service providers" while stifling the sUAS community - hobbyist and professional alike.

This guy is either the dumbest person in the US or an outlaw. There is no third choice. Even people who don't fly drones are well aware of the restriction. No more wrist slaps. Hammer down.:mad:
Before We chant for his head on a platter. How about we examine the TFR itself. I DO AGREE that violating TFR is foolish and I do not condone breaking the law. So, how about we start a new debate. How big and what duration is reasonable for Superbowl TFR? Why was the TFR in place on Wednesday 17 miles away from the stadium, and the game is not until Sunday? This seems like a power grab IMO. 17 miles from the stadium? 5 days prior to the event? Maybe there is an explanation that I am missing. Anyone?
P.S. I'm new on this forum, but I have been flying commercially 3 years. Glad to be here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-192848_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-192848_Google.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku