Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The thought process

Tim Jones

Reaction score
Mixing aerial footage with a good ground game is the ultimate way to move forward
way too many people just selling three minute of just slickly edited drone footage.

About a year ago, I attended a class at drones plus, they taught things I already knew about doing video on the ground, but totally missed it when I was flying early on and not really thinking about this new tool

This guy hits the good ones.
So many people complain about the flight times not being long enough.
But if you plan your shorts I find I can get the aerial part of a shoot done with 2-3 batteries

Reactions: NIFLY
I agree with all that he says, and would stress the word development -

1. Do the aerials help the sequence to develop in the intended way?
2. Does the shot develop in strength, revealing more to the audience as it runs?

With aerials we have a great opportunity to let shots run, mostly because of this second factor - not because we don't know when to cut.

Three things to remeber - story, story and story.

Reactions: NIFLY
Everything that is stated in this post is exactly correct.

I have found that in order for your aerial footage to work you must have a great "ground game". Your drone footage, in my opinion only works when the footage is part or the story, not the whole story.

Here are three examples of my work and I am quite pleased with how my shots from the ground and the air come together to tell a particular story.

@Steve Wood , and your videos are a fine example of another often overlooked aspect of video - the audio. Professional narration and well mixed audio soundtracks, are key to making a complete and well rounded presentation. Nice job.

@Steve Wood , and your videos are a fine example of another often overlooked aspect of video - the audio. Professional narration and well mixed audio soundtracks, are key to making a complete and well rounded presentation. Nice job.
Thanks Pat. I am fortunate that my background is radio/television voiceover and production. For me, being an old radio guy... audio is the "most important" part of any audio/visual experience. Before I start a new video project I picture the music, the foundation on which everything else will be built. Know your music, shoot your video and then for me I add the voiceover and when it all comes together seamlessly it's a "dance".

Hawk, great video of Soy y Luna. I didn't know it was that nice of place for U of A.

Really nice films - all 4! I think they're well crafted with strong integration of ground shots and aerials, exactly what this thread is about.

The Alaska fishing lodge film reminded me of a filming trip to the Copper River Delta a few years ago. I caught 4 big fish in about 20 miniutes, never having fished before. My brother in the UK caught 1 salmon all year. Sorry, not what this thread is about - never mind!

Everything that is stated in this post is exactly correct.

I have found that in order for your aerial footage to work you must have a great "ground game". Your drone footage, in my opinion only works when the footage is part or the story, not the whole story.

Here are three examples of my work and I am quite pleased with how my shots from the ground and the air come together to tell a particular story.

Yes well stated, I carry a digital audio recorder with me now. Spend a little time recording ambient noises and ask the client if I can record the interviews I have with them. In some cases you end up with nice audio you can drop in, and they always seem surprised to hear themselves.

Yes well stated, I carry a digital audio recorder with me now. Spend a little time recording ambient noises and ask the client if I can record the interviews I have with them. In some cases you end up with nice audio you can drop in, and they always seem surprised to hear themselves.
Just FYI Tim... being an audio guy a great, in fact AWESOME digital audio recorded is the Tascam DR40. It fits in the palm of your hand and the quality is exactly what I would expect as an audio pro. $170 on Amazon.

Reactions: Tim Jones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM