Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

This guy thinks he's helping

A Higher Perspective

Reaction score
This is a re-post of a thread from Phantom Pilots, and my reply. The professional remote pilot in the linked story has great intentions, but is obviously operating contrary to Part 107 requirements.​
"Thought this was interesting so I'm sharing it here:​
Yeah, interesting, but "I hike up the mountain and can fly out about 3 to 4 miles from where I am standing," One of the reasons that I'm not renewing my Part 107 cert. is that I see certified remote pilots doing things like this that are obviously not within the scope of Part 107 requirements. It's not just hobbyists messing up the industry through illicit and ill-advised actions. I see news agencies using quads in national forest (almost certainly without prior permitting) and directly over the heads of people that, while they may be the subjects of the filming, are definitely not actively involved in the operation (flying and filming) of the "drone". I observed members of a club near me (one that offers classes for 107 certification) flying in the middle of a crowded craft fair much closer than the required 25' distance from non-participant individuals, including small children. They had no VO and no-one to control ground space beneath where they were flying. Also no designated landing area or alternate landing site. People, please leave your egos and self-entitlement at home when you go out to fly these machines, even if you think you are doing something for the greater good. "

I don't see how you not getting you Part 107 renewed (assuming you are still a commercial operation) is no different than the guy in the article "flying for miles". A violator is a violator is a violator. By you not renewing only paints you and your company in a negative light all the way around.

We see people busting regs all the time but that's for the FAA to figure out and HOPEFULLY start to enforce.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I'm shutting down commercial operation. Already turned off my website. I guess I should remove myself from this forum too.

I drove 67 mph today in a 65 mph zone. I'm a "violator" too.

I do not share the opinion that all violations are created equal.

Reactions: Rudder Bug
This is a re-post of a thread from Phantom Pilots, and my reply. The professional remote pilot in the linked story has great intentions, but is obviously operating contrary to Part 107 requirements.​
"Thought this was interesting so I'm sharing it here:​
Yeah, interesting, but "I hike up the mountain and can fly out about 3 to 4 miles from where I am standing," One of the reasons that I'm not renewing my Part 107 cert. is that I see certified remote pilots doing things like this that are obviously not within the scope of Part 107 requirements. It's not just hobbyists messing up the industry through illicit and ill-advised actions. I see news agencies using quads in national forest (almost certainly without prior permitting) and directly over the heads of people that, while they may be the subjects of the filming, are definitely not actively involved in the operation (flying and filming) of the "drone". I observed members of a club near me (one that offers classes for 107 certification) flying in the middle of a crowded craft fair much closer than the required 25' distance from non-participant individuals, including small children. They had no VO and no-one to control ground space beneath where they were flying. Also no designated landing area or alternate landing site. People, please leave your egos and self-entitlement at home when you go out to fly these machines, even if you think you are doing something for the greater good. "

I just renewed my 107 and business is good. I'm a stickler for rules and will report commercial operators who don't comply in a heart beat. Not quitting any time soon. Walking away doesn't help the problem.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Grumpy
One of the reasons that I'm not renewing my Part 107 cert. is that I see certified remote pilots doing things like this that are obviously not within the scope of Part 107 requirements.
That makes as much sense as canceling your driver's licence because you see or hear about drivers breaking road rules.

Reactions: Kentrol72
Yeah, don't through in the towel. Just study up and get your Remote Pilot Certificate. It does take study, but nothing in it is terribly difficult to learn.

Also, regarding search and rescue ops, most of those will require that you have taken some of the FEMA courses including, at a minimum, ICS 100 and ICS 200. They are free and can be taken online.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah, don't through in the towel. Just study up and get your Remote Pilot Certificate. It does take study, but nothing in it is terribly difficult to learn.

Also, regarding search and rescue ops, most of those will require that you have taken some of the FEMA courses including, at a minimum, ICS 100 and ICS 200. They are free and can be taken online.

Our agency requires 100, 200, and I think it's 700. When we get deployed on the state level it gets insane because we are required to have 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 plus have a min of 24hrs in the "type" of sUAS we will be operating. Also they require a 3-ring binder of papers (Workers comp, Liability Ins, Flight & Maint Logs etc) to be in our posession upon arrival. My "Go Bag" is almost comical TBH.

Terrible, 67 in a 65, do that in California and you will get run over by the trucks let alone the car doing 80-85 in a 65.

I hate to say this, but laws are there for our protection and the protection of others, I think most honest people with admit they bend the rules from time to time, but how much do you bend them and still be a responsible citizen.

As for shutting down your business. Well Clint Eastwood said it well in one of his movies, "A man needs to know his limitations." Not everyone is cut out for this kind of business, or maybe some need to get a little more experience. I'm 70 years old this month, and guess what, I can't do some things I once found easy. The thing is find your limitations and work within them.

Good luck in any future endeavors, but I would keep your 107 current, you just may need it in the future.

Reactions: Grumpy and BigAl07
One of the reasons that I'm not renewing my Part 107 cert. ... "​
Full disclosure, the other reasons are that I make more money (by a long shot) sitting at my desk at home than I did picking up occasional real estate or event jobs, and the very small market where I live is saturated with Part 107 pilots. Travel for remote inspection jobs was possible, but still did not pay that great and involved travel expenses. Then there's my health. What I see as unsafe behavior by certified "professional" remote pilots raises my blood pressure to a degree that my wife does not appreciate and would rather that I just ignore, which was tough when I was active operator. So there you have it. My limits in losing money and tolerating sheer stupidity and self-entitled reckless behavior were reached and I've decided to not sink more time, money and effort into it. I'll most likely stick to hobby flying from here on out. I may dig out my old fixed wing buddies from pre-quad days. Fly smart everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164