Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Topodrone RTK/PPK kit for Mavic 2 Pro

AMann

Reaction score
Has anyone used this system yet? If so, can you provide a review? I am looking for an inexpensive way (the $2900 cost for the drone upgrade kit looks good) to do site mapping for archaeology and biological resources. I already have a M2P and two Emlid groundstations that would work with this system, so it may be a really inexpensive way to get into it.

Last edited:
Looks great but I have always been said that mechanical shutter is the best for photogrammetry and M2P is not equiped with that

Reactions: AMann
Looks great but I have always been said that mechanical shutter is the best for photogrammetry and M2P is not equiped with that

True, a mechanical shutter is best for shooting from a fast moving platform, especially a fixed wing drone, but its not needed when the drone is moving slowly or taking stationary images.

Reactions: Jullie
There’s also Emlid’s a lower cost RTK/PPK modules for cameras, less than $500, but it goes on a hot shoe and is not made for a Mavic. I am wondering though, if a separate small camera can be modified to use with these... if small enough and set to timer mode, it could be attached to a M2P. No gimbal, however.

True, a mechanical shutter is best for shooting from a fast moving platform, especially a fixed wing drone, but its not needed when the drone is moving slowly or taking stationary images.
Our drones routinely run 20-25mph and rolling shutter is a problem when compared to testing the same conditions against a mechanical shutter, but 99% of the softwares out there have calibrations and algorithmic adjustments to handle them.

Our drones routinely run 20-25mph and rolling shutter is a problem when compared to testing the same conditions against a mechanical shutter, but 99% of the softwares out there have calibrations and algorithmic adjustments to handle them.

I have a question, while doing photogrammetric surveys, what happens if the camera happens to be skewed off-center a bit. Does the software make up for that frame not being centered exactly on the nadir point by having an offset that you can program into it?

Last edited:
I have a question, while doing photogrammetric surveys, what happens if the camera happens to be skewed off-center a bit. Does the software make up for that frame not being centered exactly on the nadir point by having an offset that you can program into it?
The processing software sees all the characteristics and unless the drone is misreporting they should be adjusting for it. If you get too many of them ground accuracy may suffer a little, but this and many other issues can be solved with GCP's.

Reactions: Earthman and AMann
The processing software sees all the characteristics and unless the drone is misreporting they should be adjusting for it. If you get too many of them ground accuracy may suffer a little, but this and many other issues can be solved with GCP's.
There’s nothing better than setting GCP’s on chaparral hillsides; I never have to use the gym to stay in shape! ;)

Reactions: adm_geomatics
So the Topodrone products for Mavic looks very interesting regarding the price comparing to P4P RTK
Same thing for their P4P retrofit. I can't believe how much DJI is charging for the P4RTK and personally will never pay it for what you get. I admit I am envious of companies that fork out this kind of money for drones without blinking an eye. Whether it be the P4RTK, Inspire series or Matrice 200 series. The majority of people that I see with these in no way need that much copter for what they are doing.

Reactions: AMann
That is already a bit long for a reply. If they are slow on sales inquiries, I wouldn't be too hopeful should you need support, so I would be cautious. Just my opinion.

They got back to me and are offering to let people test the output data from their Mavic 2 Pro unit with their included software. Their replies were very helpful. I will post the reply below and a review of the software/data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Pitman
Please note that the delayed reply from Topodrone was due to email that had gone to their spam folder. Maxim (their CEO) sent an apology and has been providing very good information about their Mavic RTK/PPK kit. Here’s his reply along with more detailed information about it:

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your request. We are please that you are interested in our products. I would like apologize for the late reply, but your e-mail came to SPAM folder.

Please find the attached technical description of DJI MAVIC 2 PRO PPK.
The kit is easy to install, it will take you 10-15 minutes to assemble on the drone.
The kit includes the following items:
- L1/L2 GNSS receiver with Helix antenna
- mounting kit
- flexible cable to connect the kit to DJI MAVIC main board
- software for automatic GNSS data post processing and images geotagging

Software TOPOSETTER 2.0

- installation and data processing manuals

To get information about real survey projects carried out with TOPODRONE solutions please read our BLOG

Blog - TOPODRONE

I would recommend to read the following articles:

Precise survey by Topodrone DJI Mavic 2 Pro L1/L2 RTK/PPK in Malaga, Spain

Aerial surveying with Topodrone DJI Mavic 2 Pro RTK/PPK

Best regards,

Maxim
Topodrone SA
www.topodrone.org
TEL. + 7 9269949041
Instagram: topodrone.ru

Last edited:
I have one that arrived last week. I've bought only the kit and mounted myself in the Mavic 2 Pro. Very impressed with it. I have a Phantom 4 Pro RTK and this kit has the same performance (in not slightly better). You will have troubles to use RTK because there are no cheap apps to support Mavic 2 Pro (GSP, for instance, will not use it). However, for using PPK is a must have. The results are outstanding. If you have the luck to have a good reference network, with any antenna that casts downloadable Rinex files within a baseline shorter than 30km from your working spot, this is an awesome kit for PPK. Mavic 2 pro is more portable and it's a great tool to work in areas with difficult access. Phantom 4 Pro RTK has more coverage capacity for battery but the carrying case and the needed material weights a lot more. I'm very satisfied with both and it's impressive to see how these flying RTK/PPK tools evolved in the last 2 years.

I have one that arrived last week. I've bought only the kit and mounted myself in the Mavic 2 Pro. Very impressed with it. I have a Phantom 4 Pro RTK and this kit has the same performance (in not slightly better). You will have troubles to use RTK because there are no cheap apps to support Mavic 2 Pro (GSP, for instance, will not use it). However, for using PPK is a must have. The results are outstanding. If you have the luck to have a good reference network, with any antenna that casts downloadable Rinex files within a baseline shorter than 30km from your working spot, this is an awesome kit for PPK. Mavic 2 pro is more portable and it's a great tool to work in areas with difficult access. Phantom 4 Pro RTK has more coverage capacity for battery but the carrying case and the needed material weights a lot more. I'm very satisfied with both and it's impressive to see how these flying RTK/PPK tools evolved in the last 2 years.
Good to know Spartacus, by the way is it a nickname?’cause mine is Spartacus.

• Haha
Good afternoon,
How would you guys connect to the Topodrone GNSS receiver to configure the NTRIP CASTER, because I didn't find any info about the RTK side. Everybody is talking about PPK with this addon module, but nothing about RTK.
Thank you,
Dragos

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM