Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Transporting Drone Between Jobsites

drummingchevy

Reaction score
I use a pretty basic system for transporting my drone between locations when I do Dronebase missions in the same general area to reduce takedown and set up- see pictured. How do y'all transport yours around? Do you take the props off and pack the whole thing up every time? What about you Mavic flyers? I'm considering getting one so I'd be curious to see how necessary it would be for me to fold it up between flights.20180131_131032.jpg

I carry mine in it's original Styrofoam package, and all other items in this container. I do take the props of most of the time. You never know when somebody is going to plow into you†
I keep my blades in a Ziploc bag
Container.png

Last edited:
case.jpg This is the long distance travel case I use for my P2V+ with a few additional holes dug out for accessories. If traveling a short distance by car to a new location, I'll just keep the props on, slide the gimbal lock on, and then place the Phantom upside-down in the back of my SUV so it can't tip over while driving. I generally don't keep the props on while in the case because I'm afraid the foam padding against them might misshape them. Easy enough to just spin on the props and tighten when starting out.

Reactions: BigAl07
If I don't fly from one job to the next I put it back in the case. Seems very labor intensive but I've had a near accident and the aircraft was damaged in the process. Better safe than sorry and this way we don't have to drag out the Heir/Spare and keep flying the King all day long. (King, Heir, then Spare LOL).

One thing is I always use "Props On" storage cases. They take up more space (a LOT more when you get into larger sUAS) but you don't fool with props.

My Mavic goes back in the case as well. I put both the camera and gimbal protectors on each and every time. Once in a while when jobs are very close (same block etc) I'll put the sUAS in the back seat, upside down and the Tx in the floorboard. I'd guess I do that maybe 2x a year.

On some days we do more than 10 jobs in a day so we do a lot of setting up and tearing down but it works for us. YMMV

I bought a pack to test out, but went back to the styrofoam cases that they come in. Also, if you upgrade at some point to the 4 models, the props are much less time consuming in putting on and taking off.

This is the case we store ours in and transport: DJI Phantom 4 Props Case | GPC, Inc.

I've had no problems transporting with the props on. The only thing I would recommend is to *NOT* store your tablet in the slot they designate. I had a tablet get bent / warped, and I suspect it's because when you pull the case upright and roll or carry it, the tablet is at the bottom.

The case I have for the phantom I can leave the props on, the one for the Inspire I remove the props and camera every time.
upload_2018-1-31_19-43-24.png
I use this case, it was only 57.00 from Amazon.

I use a hard case as well but will through in one small detail, since the reports of Li-Po Batteries having a potential safety issue I keep all batteries in a fireproof bag. They are cheap and very light weight. The way I see it the bag is worth the weight of my drone and anything else nearby if one did explode.

I guess I should include cases used. For trips where heavy packing and storage is needed I love the hard case but when I need to walk in areas there is no hard surface to go to a shell pack that will carry everything including tablet. Nice padded straps and liner for your back. .

Attachments

• DSC_1952.jpg
    DSC_1952.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_1959.jpg
    DSC_1959.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeReis
My son bought me a Pelican Case (with Phantom insert) for Christmas 2016. I still thank him today. I used to carry my P4 just like the OP's photo. The case is well worth the money. I can't tell you how nice it is to have in the field. You can slap some branding on the side too. Gives you instant "cred".

Pelican Storm Case im2600
11671.jpg

Last edited:
I use the original Inspire 2 Case and a hardshell CaseMatix for my Mavic.
IMG_1693.JPG
If I am flying local I will throw the batteries in the case, but if the job is further, I will put the batteries in a fire-proof safe.
IMG_1698.JPG

I haven't taken mine on a plane, and just use one of the soft backpack style cases to transport to a location. I take off the props. But, I also never need to go from one job to another, so it doesn't seem inconvenient. I like the idea of using a fireproof case for the batteries and will look into those posted by ChoiceGraphX, above. Thanks for that tip!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143