Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Traveling

R.P..R

Reaction score
Website
www.rprsolution.com
I am back in California for another 3wks on. It’s great to be back in Cali because it wasn’t long ago that I used to live here. I am currently I am renting a room from one of my military buddy, but to be honest, I am getting somewhat tired, and I haven’t really adjusted quite well to my situation.

I know some of you travel long distance, how do you guys deal being away from your family?

I am back in California for another 3wks on. It’s great to be back in Cali because it wasn’t long ago that I used to live here. I am currently I am renting a room from one of my military buddy, but to be honest, I am getting somewhat tired, and I haven’t really adjusted quite well to my situation.

I know some of you travel long distance, how do you guys deal being away from your family?

Keep busy.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Having done that for years, it’s not easy. Try to stay busy and develop a daily rhythm but the nights end up long. Stay away from evening activities that can bring too much temptation. A daily phone call or Skype helps but if you are away long enough you end up with fewer things to talk about that holds your partner’s interest.

Three week periods are not too bad but recognize the more you are away and the longer the separations become the more independent your life partner becomes.

Hate my family, so I do just fine.

It took me a while to learn to deal with it. At first our communications was by snail mail, later in life phone calls. I love to read so when I wasn't busy I always look for a good book. Always stayed out of the bars in the hotels. Being overseas was the hardest because the separations were months on end. Communication, commitment and trust within your family is an absolute must. Keep your mind active with positive and mentally healthy activities. Family separation and loneliness is really tough on some people. I think it takes an independent person to deal with it. My two cents.

Reactions: AH-1G
Thank you for the response guys. I have always been proactive, but the thought of home always lingers.

Yesterday, I was invited by one of the foreman who is a pastor to attend a church gathering after work. A stoke of of bad fortune someone broke into my SUV. Luckily, the perps only managed to take my smaller pelican case that contained my Mavic Pro and 2 Dual instead of my Inspires.

The incident happened in Oakland, California, and ironically it happened on the good side of town. Luckily, I’ve already downloaded all of the data, and today will be a busy day reaching out to my insurers to file a claim.

Happy Sunday, y’all.

IMG_1715.jpg
IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg

Sorry to learn that happened. Smash and grab has become a much too common practice in the big cities. So common that a Sacramento news station this morning reported that several million $$ is being divided between several cities to combat the “epidemic” of vehicle break ins. As California elected to relax prosecution for crimes against property and drugs a couple years ago the problem is only going to get worse as the police are pretty much limited to making a report that nobody but your insurance company will see.

Going forward I suggest obtaining a dark colored blanket to lay over the top of things left in a locked car. It reduces desire to break in by concealing objects that can look expensive or desirable.

Last edited:
RPR, sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't think there was a good side of Oakland, I was born there and family had enough sense to move out in the early sixties. If I had to stay in the area I would drive over to Walnut Creek and get a hotel there, much safer. Oakland to Richmond is just a war zone.

RPR sorry as well. I hate to rip on O-town but @RPerry is right, don’t think there is a good side. Those areas are more prone to break-ins because people believe it’s safer and let there guards down.
I had a Construction monitoring job downtown and just didn’t feel safe there. I was approached by every homeless person with-in a 1 block radius. Needless to say, I notified the client and decide to pull out. Hopefully your insurance provider replaces your stolen goods.

Sorry to learn that happened. Smash and grab has become a much too common practice in the big cities. So common that a Sacramento news station this morning reported that several million $$ is being divided between several cities to combat the “epidemic” of vehicle break ins. As California elected to relax prosecution for crimes against property and drugs a couple years ago the problem is only going to get worse as the police are pretty much limited to making a report that nobody but your insurance company will see.

Going forward I suggest obtaining a dark colored blanket to lay over the top of things left in a locked car. It reduces desire to break in by concealing objects that can look expensive or desirable.

I called OPD, hoping that they would send an officer to look into the matter, and I'm told that they would only send someone if the perp left a "tool" or "weapon" at the scene of the crime. Then, I decided to go to the nearest precinct, and while I was there, they gave me a web address and told me to file a report online. LOL And concerning the "dark-colored blanket" I had to laugh because it echoed my wife's advice. For years, I have been somewhat complacent, and the incident just woke me up.

RPR, sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't think there was a good side of Oakland, I was born there and family had enough sense to move out in the early sixties. If I had to stay in the area I would drive over to Walnut Creek and get a hotel there, much safer. Oakland to Richmond is just a war zone.

I somewhat grew up in Oakland at 29th street, it was better then, and it's recuperating now that the hippies and taking over the town, but the bad elements still linger. I miscalculated the town that I grew up in, and it bit me right back.. LOL. But, yeah.... There is no good side that wishful thinking.

RPR sorry as well. I hate to rip on O-town but @RPerry is right, don’t think there is a good side. Those areas are more prone to break-ins because people believe it’s safer and let there guards down.
I had a Construction monitoring job downtown and just didn’t feel safe there. I was approached by every homeless person with-in a 1 block radius. Needless to say, I notified the client and decide to pull out. Hopefully your insurance provider replaces your stolen goods.

I think I know which construction site that you are talking about, I too had almost accepted their contract. I flew a test flight, just to survey and get a feel for the area. It is doable, but I do not want to lose my license. I've already talked to my insurers, and I am back in the saddle again. I bought a new M2 enterprise.

Reactions: AIA.AI
" I didn't think there was a good side of Oakland " :p

Thank you for the response guys. I have always been proactive, but the thought of home always lingers.

Yesterday, I was invited by one of the foreman who is a pastor to attend a church gathering after work. A stoke of of bad fortune someone broke into my SUV. Luckily, the perps only managed to take my smaller pelican case that contained my Mavic Pro and 2 Dual instead of my Inspires.

The incident happened in Oakland, California, and ironically it happened on the good side of town. Luckily, I’ve already downloaded all of the data, and today will be a busy day reaching out to my insurers to file a claim.

Happy Sunday, y’all.

View attachment 1586
View attachment 1587
View attachment 1588
Sorry for the loss, that sucks. Yeah, I'm ashamed to say many LE agencies are simply giving up, they don't even try. How the hell do they know they won't find something of useful evidenciary value if they won't even respond? They are acting like the FAA on drone violations reports (name, address, exact location, date, time, got a pic?)

Consider the effect that is having with accurate reporting of crime statistics. If crimes are not being reported and recorded there would be the appearance of a reduction of crimes in the under reported categories. Such crimes might well be on the increase but failure to report would conceal that. Pressure on crime fighters would be reduced due to a public perception of reduced crime induced by “falsified” crime reporting when in fact the public is under greater threat than ever. Makes for great political fodder.

Statistics report only what the data used to compile a report intends the statistic to represent. Data can be and is often manipulated as needed to achieve a desired result.

I somewhat grew up in Oakland at 29th street, it was better then, and it's recuperating now that the hippies and taking over the town, but the bad elements still linger. I miscalculated the town that I grew up in, and it bit me right back.. LOL. But, yeah.... There is no good side that wishful thinking.

Most of our family lived in Piedmont, sixth generation from their. My family moved to Los Gatos in the early sixties. The traffic in Santa Clara county area is just insane now, so glad to be out of there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN