Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Travelling with Oversize LiPos

Reaction score
Website
www.atmosphericarts.com
I'm considering upgrading from an Inspire 2 (with its conveniently-size 100 Wh batteries) to something like a Matrice 600 or Alta. I'm wondering how current owners of these heavy-lift drones are transporting the 200+ Wh batteries when flying cross-country considering they're forbidden from passenger aircraft. Are you shipping them? Renting at location? Have any of you had luck connecting 4x 100 Wh packs in parallel vs 2x 200Wh packs to an Alta to allow for you to carry your LiPos on a commercial flight?

I'm considering upgrading from an Inspire 2 (with its conveniently-size 100 Wh batteries) to something like a Matrice 600 or Alta. I'm wondering how current owners of these heavy-lift drones are transporting the 200+ Wh batteries when flying cross-country considering they're forbidden from passenger aircraft. Are you shipping them? Renting at location? Have any of you had luck connecting 4x 100 Wh packs in parallel vs 2x 200Wh packs to an Alta to allow for you to carry your LiPos on a commercial flight?
This FAA website might be of help to you. Pack Safe – Batteries, lithium
When traveling with my M210 the only batteries legal to travel with are TB50. I leave my TB55 batteries at home.

Last edited:
Thanks, well aware of current regulations for 160 Wh and below (I fly with the conveniently-size 100 Wh TB50s frequently). Unfortunately with some of the heavy lift rigs (Altas for instance) they fly with usually 200+ Wh packs, which I'm wondering how to transport long distances. I've heard of people renting LiPos at their location, but the idea of renting a well-used battery to keep $100K in the air seems a bit risky. Not sure about ground-shipment regulations, but I could see that as an option as well. Considering the price of a true cinema rig is an order-of-magnitude more expensive than a decked out Inspire, it's not hard to believe that the logistics get that much more expensive as well. Ultimately the clients will have to take on this cost I suppose.

Thanks, well aware of current regulations for 160 Wh and below (I fly with the conveniently-size 100 Wh TB50s frequently). Unfortunately with some of the heavy lift rigs (Altas for instance) they fly with usually 200+ Wh packs, which I'm wondering how to transport long distances. I've heard of people renting LiPos at their location, but the idea of renting a well-used battery to keep $100K in the air seems a bit risky. Not sure about ground-shipment regulations, but I could see that as an option as well. Considering the price of a true cinema rig is an order-of-magnitude more expensive than a decked out Inspire, it's not hard to believe that the logistics get that much more expensive as well. Ultimately the clients will have to take on this cost I suppose.
You can ship the LiPOs with UPS after pre-approval. Lithium Metal Battery Shipper Pre-Approval: UPS - United States

I have come across the same issue when needed to transport my Matrice 600 & Alta 8 batteries for a project on the East Coast (i live in LA), but @JDSimpson's UPS suggestion saved my bacon! Try 'em out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM