Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Truss Bridges/Concrete slabs - Interference

rvrrat14

Reaction score
We have an old truss bridge with concerted approach spans and a concrete deck thru the trusses. Its over a large river where we occasionally have to search for people who fall in or are missing. The bridge/structure is no longer used for direct traffic.

Wondering if I launch on the approach slabs, where there are no overhead trusses, would I still have noticeable interference. I use a table to get me off the ground, so the drone would be approx. 2.5 ft above the slab.

Considering setting up on the bridge approach slabs without propellers and see if I get interference.

This is critical as it is the high point and would allow me to fly a great distance while swill maintaining VLOS.

Thanks.

We have an old truss bridge with concerted approach spans and a concrete deck thru the trusses. Its over a large river where we occasionally have to search for people who fall in or are missing. The bridge/structure is no longer used for direct traffic.

Wondering if I launch on the approach slabs, where there are no overhead trusses, would I still have noticeable interference. I use a table to get me off the ground, so the drone would be approx. 2.5 ft above the slab.

Considering setting up on the bridge approach slabs without propellers and see if I get interference.

This is critical as it is the high point and would allow me to fly a great distance while swill maintaining VLOS.

Thanks.

Depending on the aircraft, you might consider a hand-launch, e.g. a Mavic.

Secondarily, depends on the size of the bridge and what's around it.

I've launched at the Taos Gorge bridge (1,300 feet span) on the ground off to one side at one end before, no problems. If your bridge isn't too large, you might consider that approach rather than launching on the bridge itself. If it's not a huge bridge, it probably won't take much flight time to get where you need to go.

But, the table setup might work as well.

Reactions: rvrrat14
Is there some instrument that could be used to measure magnetic interference?

I”ve found where the table is usually enough to clear the interference from the slab.

I would also monitor my sensors for interference. Upon takeoff I’d hover above head height just to see how stable the aircraft is before continuing.

Thanks.
Test it.

Reactions: rvrrat14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91