Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Trying to figure out a niche and create a business model

vindibona1

Reaction score
Just passed my Part 107 and should have my cert in a few days. I've been in the photography business for a few decades, now semi retired so I have a lot of contacts in real estate, events and several other business categories. I see a lot of films that have aerial inserts for a few seconds as well as commercials, again with brief aerial clips. There are many things I see now done with drones that I think I could do. But I have no clue as to how to structure pricing for such things especially for jobs that just require a few seconds of aerial "scene setting" for a larger project.

How do you all set up your "menu" and price schedule and what do you offer in your service, particularly if you do not do the full video shoot? I have no idea where to begin with any business model. So if you care to share I'm all ears. TIA

Take a look HERE to start and then do a few searches on here and you will get some good info

Thanks. Good information. Looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of research before I can figure out where this will take me. So far I've only done a few projects flying local religious structures with architectural significance. I suspect that they would only be good as samples as religous institutions tend to want to take in money but not want to pay it out.

..... religious institutions tend to want to take in money but not want to pay it out.

You'll be surprised how many people DON'T take this business seriously and want YOU to give them your product and services as a deep discount and often times "for practice/referrals" which is FREE!

One thing to keep in mind from the start.... if you don't VALUE your product/services (by giving away or for cheap) how can you expect someone else to see value in them? We actually ended up RAISING our prices after the first year and for some reason our business increased. I don't know if they thought the low price = low quality or what. We literally doubled our prices and our schedule started filling up. Kind of ironic but it was indeed a fact.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
You'll be surprised how many people DON'T take this business seriously and want YOU to give them your product and services as a deep discount and often times "for practice/referrals" which is FREE!

One thing to keep in mind from the start.... if you don't VALUE your product/services (by giving away or for cheap) how can you expect someone else to see value in them? We actually ended up RAISING our prices after the first year and for some reason our business increased. I don't know if they thought the low price = low quality or what. We literally doubled our prices and our schedule started filling up. Kind of ironic but it was indeed a fact.
You're preaching to the choir. Before certification I needed some practice projects and I think I chose wisely, picking the two best building in the area to "practice" on. But I'm with you. For actual work, I don't work for free and I don't work cheap. I'm going to take my time developing my product and brand, but the types of work out there are new to me as well as how they're marketed. Will there be an Inspire in my future? We'll see where this leads. In the old days, after getting going all my camera gear was Hasselblad. Sadly I have 4 Hassy systems sitting in my closet for almost 2 decades now.

But to echo your advice and relay my own experience (stop reading here if you don't like long anecdotes)...

Many years ago, in the late 80's I started a wedding photography business as a "side job". After my first two jobs shooting 35mm I switched to medium format (first Bronica 645, then Hassy 6x6). I was priced only slightly above the local Photo Wedding Mill that would send out any warm body that could operate a camera. Even at the beginning my work was pretty good, (though I was slow as hell). One day I had a potential client in my office who asked me in kind of a snarky tone, "Why are your prices $50 more than the cheap wedding mill guys?". I was taken aback and replied "If you can't see the difference I suggest you go with them". I recognized that my price structure didn't serve me. So I raised my prices by 30% the very next day. In the coming year, with my higher prices my client volume rose 30% and the margin went through the roof. The following year I quit my day job and one year later opened my brick and mortar studio, where my revenue doubled one year after opening.

BTW... In that stint photographing weddings (which I stopped doing in 2001 to go full commercial) was that I was approached by a celebrity, actually their agent, to photograph their wedding. They wanted it "free" (as I recall) as I would benefit by the "promotional value". I don't remember my reaction, whether it was a full laugh, or some snarky comment... or just simply "I don't do that". I'm not sure who they went with, but I really didn't care.

Today, I'm older, a little cranky, semi-retired and don't need to work for peanuts. I might be willing to help out a friend on an afternoon for a few hundred $$... But I'm not falling into the trap of working for Skittles.

Well stated :)

Good luck with your new endeavor. You have a leg-up on 90% of the UAS Photographers out there. Most have no idea about photography only how to FLY the camera and many are lacking in that arena too LOL!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
You're preaching to the choir. Before certification I needed some practice projects and I think I chose wisely, picking the two best building in the area to "practice" on. But I'm with you. For actual work, I don't work for free and I don't work cheap. I'm going to take my time developing my product and brand, but the types of work out there are new to me as well as how they're marketed. Will there be an Inspire in my future? We'll see where this leads. In the old days, after getting going all my camera gear was Hasselblad. Sadly I have 4 Hassy systems sitting in my closet for almost 2 decades now.

But to echo your advice and relay my own experience (stop reading here if you don't like long anecdotes)...

Many years ago, in the late 80's I started a wedding photography business as a "side job". After my first two jobs shooting 35mm I switched to medium format (first Bronica 645, then Hassy 6x6). I was priced only slightly above the local Photo Wedding Mill that would send out any warm body that could operate a camera. Even at the beginning my work was pretty good, (though I was slow as hell). One day I had a potential client in my office who asked me in kind of a snarky tone, "Why are your prices $50 more than the cheap wedding mill guys?". I was taken aback and replied "If you can't see the difference I suggest you go with them". I recognized that my price structure didn't serve me. So I raised my prices by 30% the very next day. In the coming year, with my higher prices my client volume rose 30% and the margin went through the roof. The following year I quit my day job and one year later opened my brick and mortar studio, where my revenue doubled one year after opening.

BTW... In that stint photographing weddings (which I stopped doing in 2001 to go full commercial) was that I was approached by a celebrity, actually their agent, to photograph their wedding. They wanted it "free" (as I recall) as I would benefit by the "promotional value". I don't remember my reaction, whether it was a full laugh, or some snarky comment... or just simply "I don't do that". I'm not sure who they went with, but I really didn't care.

Today, I'm older, a little cranky, semi-retired and don't need to work for peanuts. I might be willing to help out a friend on an afternoon for a few hundred $$... But I'm not falling into the trap of working for Skittles.
Here's yet another relative story.

A Mortgage Loan Officer said, "I have realtor buddies, but your prices are 3x what they've been quoted for other Photographers."

My reply was, "Well, there's Walmart, and there's Whole Foods, where do you shop?"

(He's the owner of 621 N. Riverside seen on my website and videos here and on MP. ARV around $2M)

His response was, "Well I mean, dude, (we're friends) what about giving them a discount to get your foot in the door." To which I replied with, "Sure, but I know what I'm worth."

I continued by sending him screenshots of competition and their "work".

He knew what I brought to the table... I shot his house for sh*ts and giggles; he decided to pay me and might be listing his house now.

About 3 weeks later my phone rang while I was at my full time w2 job. I answered (stupidly, my work environment is extremely loud and I had to yell through a respirator) and established a new client (a realtor buddy of his). They've paid full price from the get go.

One day later, same story. But I called back after work this time.

If you know what you bring to the table, don't undersell yourself.

1) it underprices the whole industry
2) people will always get what they can for the lowest possible price
3) good, fast, cheap... Pick two, and it WONT BE the third one.

Good luck with your future endeavors!

Reactions: Pawel
If you know what you bring to the table, don't undersell yourself.

1) it underprices the whole industry
2) people will always get what they can for the lowest possible price
3) good, fast, cheap... Pick two, and it WONT BE the third one.

Good luck with your future endeavors!

I'm in the mood for anecdotes today so I have two more...
The first relates what you just stated about pricing to health care. You can have...
1) Quality
2) Affordability
3) Availability
... But you can only have 2 of the 3. [Editorial note: As soon as people realize the truth in that the quicker we can talk about this intelligently.]

I am reminded of the second anecdote based on your screen name and a situation that I had as a boy coming into puberty...
I think I must have been about 12 and my dad took me to a "sex ed lecture" presented by local clergy. After the presentation we drove home and parked in front of the house and my dad asked me "Do you have any questions?". I thought for a moment and asked: "How does it know?" Dad replied: "Don't worry- it just does".

As for pricing, one thing I have learned, if you are cheap, you will be perceived as cheap (low quality) if you are expensive you'll be perceived as professional. Just make sure you can give professional quality work.

As bigA said, he raised his prices and his work increased, I have done the same thing and it works.

One of my family members is a wine maker. Since I don't know much about wines I asked him one day. What is the difference between a ten dollar bottle of wine and a fifty dollar bottle. He smiled, it's a trade secret, forty dollars but they will swear the fifty dollar wine tasted better.

One of my family members is a wine maker. Since I don't know much about wines I asked him one day. What is the difference between a ten dollar bottle of wine and a fifty dollar bottle. He smiled, it's a trade secret, forty dollars but they will swear the fifty dollar wine tasted better.
going off topic a bit but - When I was guiding I had a client that brought 3 magnum size bottles of wine on a trip. After dinner the first night he offered everybody a glass of wine. My boss commented it was probably the best tasting wine he had ever drank. The client said it should be at $600.00/bottle. It was a heck of a lot better than any $10.00 bottle of wine I ever had. So yes quality does cost more and it's the same for business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann