Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Two Year Re-Testing?

If any of you think forking over 150 for a biannual review is tough, try one for a commercial pilot. With medical, exam, and flight test can be $400.00 and up depending on what you are flying. When you say commercial, it isn't cheap.

Reactions: BigAl07
If any of you think forking over 150 for a biannual review is tough, try one for a commercial pilot. With medical, exam, and flight test can be $400.00 and up depending on what you are flying. When you say commercial, it isn't cheap.

I recently completed my BIENNIAL flight review in a Light Sport Aircraft. The cost was $185 which included airspace, current FAR discussions, etc as well as a 1.2 hour flight with me at the controls. No medical is needed. I feel it was well worth the cost to be out in the same airspace I fly my drones in, communicating with ATC is a great refresher. It is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I have recently taken the online quiz for the 107 renewal, if they change the regs and my Biennial or online test is not needed, so be it. I am glad I did this for recurrency.

EF1.jpg EF2.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
That is reasonable for light sport, however commercial is a different story, and it is depends on what you are flying. I wasn't aware that you don't need a medical for light sport.

Now if you are a 121 pilot your company keeps track of all your flights, night, day, holding, ect and you don't need a flight review, but you do need the medical. Many commercial pilots that aren't employed by someone then need a biannual. For instance lets say I do charters in my own aircraft. I need to have a commercial ticket, IFR rated obviously, It is my understanding that I need the biannual fight review and part 91 test.

That is reasonable for light sport, however commercial is a different story, and it is depends on what you are flying. I wasn't aware that you don't need a medical for light sport.

Now if you are a 121 pilot your company keeps track of all your flights, night, day, holding, ect and you don't need a flight review, but you do need the medical. Many commercial pilots that aren't employed by someone then need a biannual. For instance lets say I do charters in my own aircraft. I need to have a commercial ticket, IFR rated obviously, It is my understanding that I need the biannual fight review and part 91 test.

Incorrect, you need a biennial for part 61.56 which includes a review of Part 91. The biennial must include at least 1 hour of ground training and 1 hour of flight time unless you are a CFI or glider pilot under certain circumstances.

So current word is that there is a retest for Part 107 in the USA to maintain your airman certificate.

40 questions for the retest.

Latest FAA document talking about the retest attached.

Attachments

• uas_acs.pdf
    604.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Outta Control
My 107 license does not have an expiration date, is that the same with yours?
It is not a license. It is a certificate. It never "expires". The FAA does not issue "licenses". Everything they do is certificated and the holder of the certificate is responsible for meeting currency requirements to exercise the privileges of the certificate. Every FAA certificate has its own set of requirements to maintain currency. In the case of Part 107, it is a biennial written exam. And, no, the FAA will never send a "reminder". Maintaining currency is the certificate holder's responsibility including remembering to schedule the retest.

(For those who enjoy criticising everything I say here, the FAA does issue a license for one activity. But I will remain silent on that answer, reserving it for a bar bet).

It's all very interesting but has the FAA published the process to re-certify in August yet? Link? Inquiring minds want to know.

No links as of yet just the "guidance" and related materials. As of right now they have not even announced an "online" re-certification process. Fingers crossed :)

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
It is not a license. It is a certificate. It never "expires". The FAA does not issue "licenses". Everything they do is certificated and the holder of the certificate is responsible for meeting currency requirements to exercise the privileges of the certificate. Every FAA certificate has its own set of requirements to maintain currency. In the case of Part 107, it is a biennial written exam. And, no, the FAA will never send a "reminder". Maintaining currency is the certificate holder's responsibility including remembering to schedule the retest.

(For those who enjoy criticising everything I say here, the FAA does issue a license for one activity. But I will remain silent on that answer, reserving it for a bar bet).

Is it a License to Ill? Now I am curious :D

Sorry...... Beastie Boys came to mind, just had to say it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker