Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

UAS Facility Maps with squares that include more than one associated airports' airspace.

skyeboysteve

Reaction score
DFW, TX, USA, Earth, Sol, OA, MWG, GLG, VS, L, GA
Website
www.skybornevisions.com
Does anyone know what the regulation is for flying in squares that have more than one controlling agency? Does one need to get permission from all the airports that control that same airspace to fly in that specific square; or just one?

For example there are many squares in the DFW area that include three different airports in the same square--like Addison, Love Field and DFW. I have a Wide Area Authorization for both Addison and DFW. I do not have one for Love Field, and currently the LAANC system is temporarily not available for Love Field.

So, if a square has Love Field as an associated airport, but also has DFW and / or Addison ALSO as an associated airport; does that mean I can fly there, since I have authorization for two of the other airports... or do I need authorization from all three?

Capture.PNG

If it were me, I would file a NOTAM just to CYA, and do your flight since you already have authorization. Just be sure to close the NOTAM when your finished.

The problem is that LAANC is not available in that square even thought two of three airports listed have LAANC.
I think the problem there is that the grid is contested by two different entities and until it is sorted out under LAANC, you need to have your COA for that and dust it off. If you don't have a COA, then the wait time is going to be a few months at best.
File for a COA anyway whether you need it or not on second thought. That area is likely to be contested for another two years. The FSDO started granting wide area access recently in our local. I just got one for Denton last month I believe unexpectedly. Give it a shot and see what happens. That way you are assured of being able to operate in the airspace.

Reactions: BigAl07
Isn't a wide area airspace authorization a type of COA; or am I missing something really basic here? I have one for DFW Class B... and one for Addison--Class B... Yes... it says "Class B" for Addison... which I'm not sure if that's a typo on their part; or... what. In any case they both expire at the end of this month.

I'm thinking of applying for an AA for the specific spot I'm interested in anyway, just to try to get 400 feet AGL since the altitude in the grid is a little too low for what I'm wanting....

Last edited:
Isn't a wide area airspace authorization a type of COA; or am I missing something really basic here? I have one for DFW Class B... and one for Addison--Class B... Yes... it says "Class B" for Addison... which I'm not sure if that's a typo on their part; or... what. In any case they both expire at the end of this month.

I'm thinking of applying for an AA for the specific spot I'm interested in anyway, just to try to get 400 feet AGL since the altitude in the grid is a little too low for what I'm wanting....

Wide area is just that. I can operate anywhere within KDTOs airspace as long as I stick to the published altitudes shown on the UAS Facilities web site for that particular grid. So for example, if the altitude is listed as zero in a grid I want to fly in, I would have to seek additional authorization from the FAA or not take the job.

The only way you are getting into Class B at Addison is if you are flying above 2500 feet AGL. Otherwise, Addison is class D airspace SFC-2500. If you COA is about to expire then I strongly suggest that you have it extended. "Requests to extend airspace authorizations that expire on or after June 30, 2017 should be sent to [email protected] no less than (30) days prior to the expiration date of your original authorization. Title your email "Part 107 Authorization Extension Request [201X-XSA-XXX-P107 or 201X-P107-XSA-XXXX]" and include the responsible person/organization name, location (closest airport identifier), the length of time the extension is requested (up to 6 months), and your original granted authorization (a copy of your current COA). Changes to your original authorization must be submitted as a new authorization request. Questions about this process should be sent to [email protected] "

If the altitude for the job you are flying is too low and you seek a variance, then that is going to require a waiver and the filing process is considerably longer than a certificate of authorization. That was covered in the webinar the FAA put on yesterday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR