Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Unlocking

aerialimagery

Reaction score
I was on site today with the sun about to set and ready to fly, but I couldn't take off because I was in a yellow zone and needed to unlock, So I'm hoping I can do this tomorrow morning.

I did an unlock one time before about a month ago but couldn't remember what I did and still don't remember. I had my phone set up as a hot spot and when I touched the screen about unlocking, it said "engaged" but I couldn't go to any other screen from there. (I'm using a P4P+ with the built-in screen).

What do I need to do?

I was on site today with the sun about to set and ready to fly, but I couldn't take off because I was in a yellow zone and needed to unlock, So I'm hoping I can do this tomorrow morning.

I did an unlock one time before about a month ago but couldn't remember what I did and still don't remember. I had my phone set up as a hot spot and when I touched the screen about unlocking, it said "engaged" but I couldn't go to any other screen from there. (I'm using a P4P+ with the built-in screen).

What do I need to do?

You have to contact DJI to unlock your Phantom. Didn't they tell you that when you bought it?

You have to contact DJI to unlock your Phantom. Didn't they tell you that when you bought it?

I mean to unlock it when in a yellow zone near an airport. I still couldn't get it to unlock today, but I found a way to disable it and fly. So what's the purpose of locking someone out of flying in a particular area if it can be bypassed without going through the unlocking process?

That stinks! I can't imagine the backlog of callers wanting to unlock.

They are trying to Police the world that they created. I wish they would spend that time and money on working out the problems with their firmware and software.

What do I need to do?
Are you signed-in to your DJI account and is your firmware updated? The unlocks will not work if the answer to either of these two questions is no.

I could be wrong but I think that you still have to contact them and let them decide whether you can fly or not. They want your waiver and info. Pretty sad considering that you are licensed and they never told you this before you gave them your money for their product that they will decide where and when you can use it. A nice class action suit if you ask me. Plus the quiz, if you don't pass their quiz you cannot fly what you bought. I never noticed anything that said you cannot use this until you pass our test!

Reactions: MedicFL1
I agree Rodger. I have not experienced any lockout, but I was forced to take their quiz. They have no authority to require anyone to do anything. This is why I am looking into other manufactures of drones. I have owned Yuneec before and am looking at the H520 now. They have overstepped there bounds.

Reactions: MedicFL1
I agree Rodger. I have not experienced any lockout, but I was forced to take their quiz. They have no authority to require anyone to do anything. This is why I am looking into other manufactures of drones. I have owned Yuneec before and am looking at the H520 now. They have overstepped there bounds.
The 520 is not bound to NFW lockout, no word if the new H+ is?

Last edited:
They have a new thing now. If you don't do their update after so many flights your aircraft will only ascend to 30-50 feet (don't remember which it was) and will only go out 100-150 feet until you do the update. It happened to me last weekend. I went to my favorite practice area and my Obsidian was locked. I thought I was in beginners mode, forgot to mention that the speed was locked as well, brought it back, landed and went through all my settings. Took off, same thing, they were in control, not me. I was forced to do the update via my cellular connection and everything returned to normal after the update. I don't like to do their updates because of all of the reported problems associated with them (I have weak video now). If everything is working well I want to leave it alone. DJI is very intrusive. No wonder why the US Military grounded them. With the growth in this industry there will be a new kid on the block. I never noticed the warnings in their advertisements, you know, the ones about having to take a quiz before you could fly it, the one that you could only fly where they say you can fly, the one that you have to do their updates and share your flight data and location of your activities. Must have overlooked those, I was so anxious to give them my money.

Reactions: AH-1G

The quiz is pretty much a joke, I suppose it is OK to ensure a totally new user and uneducated user. The point being is that I feel they are obligated to warn the purchaser of the process. "Warning, you must complete a knowledge test before your $1800.oo investment will work"

I have an update that DJI is wanting me to do. For the very same reasons, I have NOT updated because of problems with the camera. I smell a class action law suit agains DJI brewing if they don't stop trying to be the regulator of NAS in the USA! Seriously looking at alternatives. Then again, maybe Apple will buy them out and eliminate that problem.

I have an update that DJI is wanting me to do. For the very same reasons, I have NOT updated because of problems with the camera. I smell a class action law suit agains DJI brewing if they don't stop trying to be the regulator of NAS in the USA! Seriously looking at alternatives. Then again, maybe Apple will buy them out and eliminate that problem.

There will come a time where you have to update or it will not fly. Happened to me. Problem is that they do not tell you these things in advance of the purchase. Constant updates, Quiz, Restricted flight, etc. If they did they would not sell anything. Very deceptive. On the class action, go for it.

Your probably right Rodger (about the update). I will do some checking around to see if there are any continued issues with the update and may try this weekend. I don't and won't do during a job. As far as class action, any attorneys listening? I would certainly sign it.

There are ways to modify your dji craft fw to eliminate dji-fencing. Remember, DJI has no (real) authority. I am using modified fw on my dji craft and have no dji-fencing at all.

The owners of this forum must be of the opinion that DJI is as good as the gov't and doesn't want modifying of fw discussed in their forums. So, in respect to them, please have a look on RCG.

DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD - RC Groups

The owners of this forum must be of the opinion that DJI is as good as the gov't and doesn't want modifying of fw discussed in their forums. So, in respect to them, please have a look on RCG.

DJI Dashboard - Modding tips, tricks and results - OFFICIAL THREAD - RC Groups

Easy now @Dave Pitman. That's starting to step on some toes and that is NOT the truth. We're not going to discuss the owner's philosophy here but it's not to the tune of "DJI is as good as our Govt".

Thank you for understanding.

@BigAl07 I admit to not knowing the motive, so I'm sorry if that statement stepped on toes.

So, for lack of a 'real' reason for the ban, we are left to guess at the motivation. After all. We are not talking about gov't mandated certified software here. We are talking about what an owner of a piece of gear they purchased can do with the gear within the law irrespective of the manufactures goals.

In this forum especially, we are talking about mostly gov't certified operators that by the letter of the law should not be using dji gear in certain locations because operator control can be taken away to some extent during flight when the fw, not the RP, decides the craft is where it isn't supposed to be compromising the mandate that the RP be in control at all times.

I apologize if this discussion is somehow against the rules in here. My intent is not to break the rules. Discussing a manufacturers decision to try and control certified uas operators while no gov't mandate exists for them to do so seems like a very relevant topic on a commercial uas forum to me. We should be applauding good behavior and calling out bad behavior by both individual and manufacturers alike. When (if) gov't s begin certifying hardware and software, or even mandating things like broadcasting id's or geofencing then I will be the first to advocate against altering it. That is not the landscape we have now though.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM