Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

UTC Commercial UAS Training Level 1

I will soon be certified to be a RMUS/Dronitek UTC Instructor.

From what I have seen and understand there are a lot of online homework within the 3 days and the flying progressively gets challenging.

Company I used to work for set up the drone programs in a couple of colleges. Provided the equipment, training, set up work, laid out course syllabus, everything they needed to start teaching the course. Not one of those setting them up had a drone degree. None existed before then. Funny, but not one of them was awarded an honorary degree either, although they well established their qualifications.

Like as not, those that taught the people teaching the qualification courses didn’t have degrees or completion certificates. Just lots of knowledge and experience.

UC Merced, Ca, has a drone program, not sure how advanced their training is. I took the course at Avion in Huntsville, AL and it was very good,.

I will soon be certified to be a RMUS/Dronitek UTC Instructor.

From what I have seen and understand there are a lot of online homework within the 3 days and the flying progressively gets challenging.

I would like to get a position as an instructor in the Houston area. I have taken the Dart Drone training and have my part 107. Any ideas? Either with a private company or a local community college.

I would like to get a position as an instructor in the Houston area. I have taken the Dart Drone training and have my part 107. Any ideas? Either with a private company or a local community college.

What is your education beyond 107 cert and Dart training. The UAV instructor at Merced has his PHD, ex Air Force pilot I believe. Colleges are really picky about your education.

I have a an MBA and BA in Business from University of Texas, but no other pilot training.

There is no hard and fast track way to be an instructor.

I began my instructor experience 25+ years ago as a motorcycle instructor, which I still currently am and transitioning into drone was not difficult for me.

After taking Dronitek's aka Drone University USA pre-107 course back in 2015, I was asked to be their sensors instructor based on my teaching experience and knowledge in thermography and other imaging sensors.

A year later with Dronitek and with the creation of my highly successful drone public awareness course, it provided me with exposure with local and regional news media as their sUAS SME.

If I could provide some advise is that, you should begin my getting out there and do some public speaking about any subject you want. Get your feet wet.

An instructor has to have good public speaking skills and have the ability to quickly evaluate the student or attendees.

Not only do students look at instructor to instruct but also enlighten and entertain their minds to objectively think and be self reliant.

Last edited:
I submitted an inquiry regarding the UTC Commercial UAS Training Level 1 course, as I am interested in obtaining some form of professional certification, going forward.

Here is the inquiry and the response from UTC (my emphasis in the response)...

Dear OFAP:
Your questions in UTC have been answered
Category:
Question:
Why is registration limited to persons under 70 years of age?
Answer:
Hi, thanks for your interest in UTC. We do not recommend students aged 70 to learn the course because the aged people need to pay more efforts physically to ensure flight safety. If there's an accident, generally they need more time to react appropriately. We regard flight safety as the top priority in drone operation. Thanks for your understanding.
Thanks for your support. Feel free to contact us if any question.

UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEM TRAINING CENTER
www.uastc.com

I'm certain I'm not the only "aged person" on this forum piloting UAVs at least once or twice per day for over a year. What alternatives exist for Old Farts And UAS Pilots to obtain such "official" certification?

I submitted an inquiry regarding the UTC Commercial UAS Training Level 1 course, as I am interested in obtaining some form of professional certification, going forward.

Dear OFAP:
Category:
Question:
Answer:
Hi, thanks for your interest in UTC. We do not recommend students aged 70 to learn the course because the aged people need to pay more efforts physically to ensure flight safety. If there's an accident, generally they need more time to react appropriately. We regard flight safety as the top priority in drone operation. Thanks for your understanding.

www.uastc.com
I'm certain I'm not the only "aged person" on this forum piloting UAVs at least once or twice per day for over a year. What alternatives exist for Old Farts And UAS Pilots to obtain such "official" certification?

Does the FAA not grant licenses to GA pilots aged 70 and older?

Why do you consider UTC Certification to be “official” or have any validation or credibility whatsoever? Other than the FAA 107 Certificate, I’m not aware of ANY official, recognized, accredited drone certification out there. There are plenty of them out there willing to take your money though.

I’m not bashing UTC, I’m sure they have a fine program and any additional training has value.

Dear OFAP:

Category:
Question:
Answer:

www.uastc.com

Gee, I guess I should hang it up according to these characters. The FAA lets me fly drones and fixed wing aircraft.
Check out Avion in Huntsville, AL, excellent training and they don't care how old you are as long as you can do the course.

I do understand some people over 70 are ready for the rocking chair, but many of us are doing just fine.

Gee, I guess I should hang it up according to these characters. The FAA lets me fly drones and fixed wing aircraft.
Check out Avion in Huntsville, AL, excellent training and they don't care how old you are as long as you can do the course.

I do understand some people over 70 are ready for the rocking chair, but many of us are doing just fine.

Thank you!

And I have checked out Avion, based on one of your earlier posts. Might be the way to go.

Does the FAA not grant licenses to GA pilots aged 70 and older?

As long as you can pass the physical, however once you are 70, the doctors take a much closer look at your health.
However you can not fly commercial.

One of the pilots at that flew a P51 at the Reno air races was 74. He was killed due to mechanical failure during one of the races. His age had nothing to do with the accident.

Why do you consider UTC Certification to be “official” or have any validation or credibility whatsoever? Other than the FAA 107 Certificate, I’m not aware of ANY official, recognized, accredited drone certification out there. There are plenty of them out there willing to take your money though.

I’m not bashing UTC, I’m sure they have a fine program and any additional training has value.

Fair question. The training is, ostensibly, developed by DJI (or so the UTC site seems to indicate). It is the only widely-publicized course of instruction and certification I've found so far that is DJI sanctioned.

Reactions: W2csa

Dear OFAP:

Category:
Question:
Answer:

www.uastc.com

As a certificated FAA Commercial pilot, Ex-Civil Air Patrol SAR Pilot and Remote pilot I'd like to tell these UASTC schmucks to shove it. As Chief Pilot for both a fire and police departments (wrote their entire programs from the ground up) I bet I can teach their "young aces" a thing or two about flying.

I see so many overnight UAS experts trying to get rich quick claiming they are experts at this or that. The Commercial UAS business didn't really take off until 2014 with Part 333 (I have one) . 2014 is hardly back far enough to create any "experts." All of a sudden we have a bunch of young rocket aces without one hour at the controls of a real airplane charging thousands for UAS training.

This is blatant age discrimination based on stereotypes. Everyone should be allowed to enroll and , if there is a question of skills and abilities, given the opportunity to demonstrate skills.

Fair question. The training is, ostensibly, developed by DJI (or so the UTC site seems to indicate). It is the only widely-publicized course of instruction and certification I've found so far that is DJI sanctioned.

It’s a brilliant marketing move....see a niche and fill it....on DJI’s part and UTC (cause DJI chose them) benefits as well. Train people to use your platform, fly your aircraft, and impart a sense of accomplishment and official certification.....and milk more money into the income accounts.....brilliant.

Like....Chevrolet creates a training program for the Corvette....a day at the track, learn some techniques plus all about the car....and Chevrolet issues you a pretty Certificate and title of Certified Corvette Driver.

Of what value is this? Just who recognizes it?

Other than my 107 and insurance, I have yet to be asked to produce anything....from clients, clients to be, tire kickers, job opportunities via LinkedIn, direct marketing, Internet inquiries....you name it....other than the 107 and insurance....nobody has ever asked for anything else. It’s all you need. Until there is a recognized, accredited and Industry Standard Certification.....you’re just lining someone else’s pocket.

In full disclosure though I do market a certification and accredited credential in my business. I’m an AUVSI TOP Operator. Other than a pretty icon, it does have meaning to me, as I’m a member of AUVSI and active in my local chapter. In fact our monthly meeting is this Sunday. I like the program, compared to what else is out there, and it’s with a group I can get behind, not a manufacturer sponsored for profit gig.

Reactions: OFAP
What does it take to become an AUVSI “Top Operator”? That sounds much too much like the arrogance (not yours, but AUVSI’s) demonstrated by an Embry Riddle UAV engineering student that came to my place of work to intern at a real UAV company. Her only experience came from a few flights with a multirotor yet she claimed to be a UAV pilot while looking down her nose at the guy interviewing her for intern acceptance. A comment from her stating that engine knowledge would provide little benefit to a pilot did not sit well. She got an intern position shuffling papers for another department for the next 3 months.

At that point in time I had moved from field operations with several thousand hours of international BVLOS PIC time, many hours as an instructor, and even more time as a system maintainer and site set up technician into propulsion research and development. Of course none of that includes thousands of hours as a giant scale RC aerobatic pilot time, 40 years building RC/sUAS aircraft, or holding FAA Commercial Pilot, ASMEL Instrument Airplane, Ground and Flight Instructor certificates. Evidently she thought being interviewed by someone presented to her as an advanced engine technician was degrading. An expensive mistake.

So- what defines AUVSI Top Operator?

Last edited:
The Level 1 Certification is an easy one for anybody with enough interest to get. It’s basically the entry level introduction to the program to familiarize you with what it’s all about and general operations standards and expectations. It’s good for someone who needs some basic guidance in responsible drone operations and a platform to build on. Level 1 is of little real value as a validation or certification of experience and ability. Anyone riding it as such is delusional....as the example you provide....but that’s of the individual, not the content. Used to see that all the time in IT with the multitude of worthless “certifications” you get presented with. You start to learn what’s worthless, and what is valuable, like RHCSE or CCNE.

The real meat of the program, and the value of the certifications come at Level 2 and Level 3. Those levels, in addition to material, standards and practices, require a flight evaluation by an examiner. It’s a pretty challenging course to fly with standards of execution that will quickly weed out those lacking flight experience. I’m trying to get our local chapter to sponsor L2 and L3 programs, but it’s tough. They’re really strict with who conducts it, who the examiners are and how the course and obstacles are constructed.

You can download the TOP Operator Program Manual. I tried to attach it here but the file is too large.

Reactions: R.Perry and OFAP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy