Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Visibility Question For 107

Ydhtbiotsao

Reaction score
Why 3 miles? I guess the visibility requirement could be so the pilot or VO can see the drone from 3 miles away and an airplane pilot can see the drone 3 miles away.
On the other hand, I suppose I'm missing something and the pilot or VO needs to be able to see the drone when it is 3 miles away and, AND see any approaching aircraft that are 3 miles from the drone so that would require 6 SM. I must be wrong about the latter

Why 3 miles? I guess the visibility requirement could be so the pilot or VO can see the drone from 3 miles away and an airplane pilot can see the drone 3 miles away.
On the other hand, I suppose I'm missing something and the pilot or VO needs to be able to see the drone when it is 3 miles away and, AND see any approaching aircraft that are 3 miles from the drone so that would require 6 SM. I must be wrong about the latter
The 3SM visibility requirement is not for the RPIC or VO. Even if you could see the strobe at 3SM, you are not satisfying all aspects of 107.31.

The reason the RPIC and VO must be able to see the drone is so they can:

"(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another."

These are the reasons why we must maintain actual VLOS, not just being able to see the light.

The 3SM requirement is for manned aircraft to be able to see us. It's pointless at times, but it's a requirement.

It's about time that was pointed out. Too many EXPERTS don't see it that way.

Thank you.

Want to test the theory of knowing the altitude and direction of the Drone. Find a safe place and have a VO present. Fly the drone out about 500 to 700 feet. Cover the screen and have someone else rotate the drone around a few times then hand it back to you. See how long it takes to determine direction and try to bring the drone in without use of screen navigation aids. Tip: Move the drone forward and back a few times. Each time rotation in between a little to the right or left until you can figure it out. Fun training drill.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Here's the easy way to bring it back to you, even at night when the drone is just a light in the dark sky. Push forward on the right stick and don't let up. If you see the drone drifting to the left, maintain your forward stick and push your left stick (yaw) to the left. When the drone's movement to the left stops, let go of the left stick and just keep pushing forward. Your drone is now heading back toward you. If pushing forward drifts it to the right, maintain the forward stick and push your left (yaw) stick to the right until the right drift stops. Let go of the left stick and maintain the forward stick as the drone is heading back to you.

Thanks for the replies, but actually, I still don't get it. Personally, so far I am not all that interested in actually piloting a drone. I was more interested in all of this when I thought I might have to use a programming language like Python to program the drone to go from point A to point B without interfering with a manned aircraft. But I guess just flying it could be a job for me. Maybe I'll learn to actually fly a drone.
Back to the 3 mile visibility requirement. I guess you understood my question. I was just wondering if 3 miles was so the pilot of a manned aircraft would have time to react (I guess turn right to avoid a collision). And also the RPIC should turn right - right? But then the RPIC would need 6 miles visibility - to see the manned aircraft at 3 miles further from the drone. Since the requirement is 3 miles and not 6, I guess my thinking doesn't make sense UNLESS 1.5 miles is enough distance for all aircraft to react.
I mean a large fully loaded aircraft like a C-5A or 747 would probably need at least 3 miles to safely make some turns. Doesn't seem like 1.5 miles is nearly enough distance for a large heavy aircraft to make decisions as to where it can safely turn and turn in time.

Not all FAA regulations are realistic when applied to real-world situations. The rule of thumb is to not fly at any distance where you may put your drone in a position that is dangerous to others. If you can't see an approaching aircraft that is further than 3 miles out, then you don't fly 3 miles out.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the replies, but actually, I still don't get it. Personally, so far I am not all that interested in actually piloting a drone. I was more interested in all of this when I thought I might have to use a programming language like Python to program the drone to go from point A to point B without interfering with a manned aircraft. But I guess just flying it could be a job for me. Maybe I'll learn to actually fly a drone.
Back to the 3 mile visibility requirement. I guess you understood my question. I was just wondering if 3 miles was so the pilot of a manned aircraft would have time to react (I guess turn right to avoid a collision). And also the RPIC should turn right - right? But then the RPIC would need 6 miles visibility - to see the manned aircraft at 3 miles further from the drone. Since the requirement is 3 miles and not 6, I guess my thinking doesn't make sense UNLESS 1.5 miles is enough distance for all aircraft to react.
I mean a large fully loaded aircraft like a C-5A or 747 would probably need at least 3 miles to safely make some turns. Doesn't seem like 1.5 miles is nearly enough distance for a large heavy aircraft to make decisions as to where it can safely turn and turn in time.

To be honest, you're WAY over thinking both aspects.

Flying the drone is literally like driving an R/C car except it happens to be in the air. Instead of just forward, backward, left and right you also control Up & Down. It's really super easy and most people get the hang of it in a matter of minutes of flight time. It's nothing compared to learning to fly and R/C airplane or Helicopter. The Drone, at least the more advanced ones, simply wants to hover in place and you direct it to move around.

Visibility is 3 Statue Miles in order to HOPEFULLY give Manned Aircraft time to See & Avoid. It's a number derived from years of trial & error. It's not perfect but nothing with Regulations is perfect or fits every situation. The regulation reads:
(c) The minimum flight visibility, as observed from the location of the control station must be no less than 3 statute miles.

In terms of Pilot turning right and RPIC turning right that's not something mandated. You AVOID however you can depending on the location of the THREAT. Most of the time Manned Aircraft will Climb to as a first response but that also depends on location of the THREAT but we rarely head towards Terra Firma for obvious reason. Altitude is usually your FRIEND.

Reactions: NERS 101
Not all FAA regulations are realistic when applied to real-world situations. The rule of thumb is to not fly at any distance where you may put your drone in a position that is dangerous to others. If you can't see an approaching aircraft that is further than 3 miles out, then you don't fly 3 miles out.
Rule of thumb is don't fly further than you're safe. And 3 miles out is never safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164