Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Water tower demolition

SkyLight

Reaction score
I shot this with a DJI Mavic Air 2 and edited it in Adobe Premier. No color grading, just raw out of the drone.
I'm quite pleased with the way the video looks. Camera was set to HDR, stopped down -2 with a ND16 filter.

This was a video done for the demolition crew as a gift and for my own practice and portfolio. I don't yet have my Part 107. I hope to get my Part 107 by the summer so I can do this and get paid.

UPDATE:
I decided it would be best to remove the video as it's in violation of FAA Part 107 rules. It's still considered commercial even if it's free.

Summation of what I learned from this thread::
Even if it's not monetized, YouTube posting is a violation if you don't have a Part 107 license. YouTube gets a benefit because it's content.
Giving it to a company without pay is also a violation. They can benefit from it's use.

Last edited:
I shot this with a DJI Mavic Air 2 and edited it in Adobe Premier. No color grading, just raw out of the drone.
I'm quite pleased with the way the video looks. Camera was set to HDR, stopped down -2 with a ND16 filter.

This was a video done for the demolition company and for my own practice and portfolio. I don't yet have my Part 107 so it was given to them without a fee. I hope to get my Part 107 by the summer.

Enjoy the destruction. :)

Interesting video.

You need to know that that video is a violation of the rules as it was not done within~44809. You can NOT recreate for someone else regardless of payment or not. You made this with the stated "intent" to do it FOR the demolition company and to bolster your portfolio. I would go get that Part 107 SOONER than later so this wouldn't be a factor going forward.

Have you taken your TRUST yet?
FAA TRUST Test is here!

Also you'll need to get the NC DOT Aviation Div Commercial UAS Permit once you have your Part 107
NC DOT Aviation Division – Commercial Drone Permit

NCDOT: Unmanned Aircraft Commercial Operators

Interesting video.

You need to know that that video is a violation of the rules as it was not done within~44809. You can NOT recreate for someone else regardless of payment or not. You made this with the stated "intent" to do it FOR the demolition company and to bolster your portfolio. I would go get that Part 107 SOONER than later so this wouldn't be a factor going forward.

Have you taken your TRUST yet?
FAA TRUST Test is here!

Also you'll need to get the NC DOT Aviation Div Commercial UAS Permit once you have your Part 107
NC DOT Aviation Division – Commercial Drone Permit

NCDOT: Unmanned Aircraft Commercial Operators
Thank you for this info. Probably be a good idea to take the video down from YouTube.
I DO want to follow all the rules going forward.

BIG BROTHER is watching you. Orwell had it right. It is 1984 for real.
What kind of nanny state says you can't do something for free?

BIG BROTHER is watching you. Orwell had it right. It is 1984 for real.
What kind of nanny state says you can't do something for free?
Just because you are knowledgeable in law, doesn't mean you can dispense legal advice for free. Same for many other professions.

Hardly the same as taken pictures though, is it?
And that can be a real problem too. I can't tell you how many clients have come to me with the same story:

"I hired this "professional photographer" who turned out to be just a random hack who thought he could produce great images. Everything was amateurish, unusable garbage. I could have done better with my phone."

It's sad really, and puts a black eye on the profession. I want to say "What did you expect for $50?", but I don't... just find a time to inject "Good photographers aren't cheap and cheap photographers aren't good" into the conversation. It doesn't matter though, damage is done, client is out $$ left with a bad taste.

Reactions: BigAl07
And that can be a real problem too. I can't tell you how many clients have come to me with the same story:

"I hired this "professional photographer" who turned out to be just a random hack who thought he could produce great images. Everything was amateurish, unusable garbage. I could have done better with my phone."

It's sad really, and puts a black eye on the profession. I want to say "What did you expect for $50?", but I don't... just find a time to inject "Good photographers aren't cheap and cheap photographers aren't good" into the conversation. It doesn't matter though, damage is done, client is out $$ left with a bad taste.
There are rubbish lawyers too, even though they have letters after their name.....

There are rubbish lawyers too, even though they have letters after their name.....

@KingRat if you've come here merely to promote illegal and unlicensed UAS Operations, then you've come to the wrong forum entirely. This forum is for Professional UAS Operators so we can share ideas and work flows etc and NOT to promote illegal operations. In the USA (which I see you're not in) we abide by the FAA Rules & Regulations which clearly stipulate that ANY flight that is not 100% recreational requires the FAA Part 107 Licensing.

The very next time you go off on a tangent re:Nanny State I'll be more than happy to show you how that looks and feels from a Forum Perspective.

I hope this is abundantly clear and we aren't going to have any issues with this topic going forward.

Reactions: Snowghost
@KingRat if you've come here merely to promote illegal and unlicensed UAS Operations, then you've come to the wrong forum entirely. This forum is for Professional UAS Operators so we can share ideas and work flows etc and NOT to promote illegal operations. In the USA (which I see you're not in) we abide by the FAA Rules & Regulations which clearly stipulate that ANY flight that is not 100% recreational requires the FAA Part 107 Licensing.

The very next time you go off on a tangent re:Nanny State I'll be more than happy to show you how that looks and feels from a Forum Perspective.

I hope this is abundantly clear and we aren't going to have any issues with this topic going forward.
I understand the FLYING aspects, but that does not guarantee a PHOTOGRAPHIC success. You can have the all the FAA (CAA over here) tickets in Christendom, that will not guarantee good photography, it will mean you fly within the law, but as for the results..... BUT I HAVE A DRONE QUALIFICATION.

Do you see where I am coming from now? Certificates mean NOTHING, you are as good as your last job and no better!

I don't fly illegally, or unqualified. But I don't give clients crap pictures either, despite my very limited knowledge of coomputer stuff. I was brought up shooting large and medium format film and carved my career in those days. I have no website, because I have no idea how to or what to put in it. My work still comes in off the back of my reputation. I would LOVE to know how you market yourself nowadays - remember I am a computer neandertal.

I understand the FLYING aspects, but that does not guarantee a PHOTOGRAPHIC success. You can have the all the FAA (CAA over here) tickets in Christendom, that will not guarantee good photography, it will mean you fly within the law, but as for the results..... BUT I HAVE A DRONE QUALIFICATION.

Do you see where I am coming from now? Certificates mean NOTHING, you are as good as your last job and no better!

I don't fly illegally, or unqualified. But I don't give clients crap pictures either, despite my very limited knowledge of coomputer stuff. I was brought up shooting large and medium format film and carved my career in those days. I have no website, because I have no idea how to or what to put in it. My work still comes in off the back of my reputation. I would LOVE to know how you market yourself nowadays - remember I am a computer neandertal.

Those comments are not associated with the topic what so ever. You made your "Nanny State" comment and that's what you got called out for.

I have a website but that's the extent of my marketing campaign right now. I network and have a solid brand built from years of work and happy clients.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905