Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What are some effective and/or creative ways you've found to get clients?

Aviato_Aerial

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I just passed my Part 107 almost 2 weeks ago, and now I've got 2 drones hungry for work!

I already flew a couple of properties for a Realtor with my trusty little Mavic Pro, and I just added a Phantom 4 Pro to my fleet as well. It goes without saying that my biggest goal now is to have them both flying jobs as often as possible.

I initially reached out to a couple of Realtors I knew, which is how I got my first two jobs, and I'm hoping that will springboard into more jobs as time goes on. But this weekend, we had a major wind storm that did a pretty sizable amount of property damage. I was driving yesterday and saw a lot of houses that had shingles entirely ripped up from their roofs. The idea immediately popped into my head: wouldn't it be great if a company hired me to drive to these houses, put my drone in the sky and take photos of the damages? I could easily show the size and scope of the damages, all without anyone having to set a foot on the roof and risk further damage to the house or chance falling off. If a property had multiple buildings, my drone could fly from one to the next uninterrupted, whereas a person would have to carry a ladder and climb up and down each time they were to inspect a different building.

So, armed with my speaking points about the benefits of utilizing a drone, I called around to a few roofing companies today. The most positive reaction I received was lukewarm at best. One guy's comment was "Oof. No thanks.*click!*" Basically I was striking out and striking out hard. Not wanting to torch every possible company in the area, I backed off my approach as it was blatantly obvious that I needed to go back to the drawing board to find a better method.

I'm still working my day job, although I can take some time away as needed to go and fly jobs, etc. But I can't just spend multiple hours away making cold call pitches to companies because if I'm not working, I'm not getting paid, and last time I checked, my bank didn't accept 'good intentions' as my mortgage payments ;) Basically, I need an approach that is effective and works considerably better than what I've been trying. I've thought about offering a free job to one of these places, it would give me some portfolio work at the very least, and if I demonstrated the right amount of value, they might consider me for future projects. That approach is admittedly easier with Realtors, because photos have long been a part of their industry, and many in the area have already embraced drone photos as being highly useful. I think the roofing companies around here just haven't really come to that same realization, at least not to the point where they want to contract an outside guy to do the same job that they're already doing with traditional methods.

What are some effective ways you've all found to get clients, either in real estate or construction? Real estate was my initial focus, but as far as I can tell, none of the other pilots out here have branched into anything like construction or inspections. It would be a great niche to fill, especially in between real estate jobs; but ultimately I want to grow both as successfully as possible.

Reactions: dirkclod
If you can't make cold calls then your in the wrong business. make personal visits, forget the phone, it don't work. Walk in to a business with samples of your work and you should have a web site for them to visit.
Have some videos on YouTube

Last edited:
It's not that I can't make cold calls, I just can't spend multiple hours making ineffective ones. As I found out today, making literal calls only got me a slightly warmer welcome than most telemarketers experience. So I need to make sure that whatever tactic I use, it's an effective use of my time that will yield better results.

I think your suggestion is a better approach than what I tried today, to be sure. The one thought I had was that the better solution was the reverse of what I was doing: let them see the benefits first instead of introducing myself and trying to get past that knee-jerk resistance to sales pitches. I might just fly my drone over my own roof and do a mock inspection, take the video from takeoff to finish and show it to them how quickly a drone can cover a house and a detached garage while capturing all the essential details.

Some suggestions were posted in the sister forums MavicPilots. Another inexpensive way to get your name out there is have some quality business cards made and post them on bulletin boards wherever you can find them - your local diner, gas station, grocery store. Have the address for your Youtube or web page on them where you have a quality video of your work. That way the person can check out your work. Also carry cards with you - think of how many people you talk to each day - give them a card - they might not become your client but you never know who they know.

Reactions: Aviato_Aerial
It's not that I can't make cold calls, I just can't spend multiple hours making ineffective ones. As I found out today, making literal calls only got me a slightly warmer welcome than most telemarketers experience. So I need to make sure that whatever tactic I use, it's an effective use of my time that will yield better results.

I think your suggestion is a better approach than what I tried today, to be sure. The one thought I had was that the better solution was the reverse of what I was doing: let them see the benefits first instead of introducing myself and trying to get past that knee-jerk resistance to sales pitches. I might just fly my drone over my own roof and do a mock inspection, take the video from takeoff to finish and show it to them how quickly a drone can cover a house and a detached garage while capturing all the essential details.
Persistence is key, good luck hope it works out for ya.?

In today's market, UAS operations are not a walk in the park. Back in 2013(ish) it was a different game and your "tactics" would work a LOT better than today.

Today you have the following hurdles against you:

A) Crazy amount of competition that is willing to work for cheap (nothing in some cases for "exposure/practice/experience)
B) Bar for Entry is almost non existent 1) Heart beat 2) credit card
C) "Drones" have gotten such a negative wrap that you've got to walk in the door toting the positives to just get back to even on the conversation
D) Many of your customers don't know what you can do and may not have the time/desire to try something "new and unproven".
E) Often times (honestly most of the time) this "great new widget" fails to perform as advertised and most companies don't want to be the Guinea Pig for product testing and development.

In today's economy and social landscape you've got to invest the time & effort to make cold calls and you've got to make them a LOT!! Until you're able to develop a brand AND a reputation you have nothing to support you. It takes time, it sucks, and it's hard to spend some much time going around town shaking hands and networking but that's the only way to even have a remote change of long-term success.

Lastly.... this is just my 2-cents.... you've got to be on your A-GAME before you knock on that first door. You will not get a 2nd chance for a first impression. Your attire, your presentation, your knowledge, your demeanor, your product offering, and your experience have to be On POINT from the very first moment. Don't make the mistake of being half way prepared thinking, "I'll go ahead and make these first few calls today and I'll work on my portfolio/presentation/product offerings once I have a few clients." You fumble from the start you have killed your chances of impressing the client and "Earning" the opportunity to work with them.

Hi everybody! I just passed my Part 107 almost 2 weeks ago, and now I've got 2 drones hungry for work!

I already flew a couple of properties for a Realtor with my trusty little Mavic Pro, and I just added a Phantom 4 Pro to my fleet as well. It goes without saying that my biggest goal now is to have them both flying jobs as often as possible.

I initially reached out to a couple of Realtors I knew, which is how I got my first two jobs, and I'm hoping that will springboard into more jobs as time goes on. But this weekend, we had a major wind storm that did a pretty sizable amount of property damage. I was driving yesterday and saw a lot of houses that had shingles entirely ripped up from their roofs. The idea immediately popped into my head: wouldn't it be great if a company hired me to drive to these houses, put my drone in the sky and take photos of the damages? I could easily show the size and scope of the damages, all without anyone having to set a foot on the roof and risk further damage to the house or chance falling off. If a property had multiple buildings, my drone could fly from one to the next uninterrupted, whereas a person would have to carry a ladder and climb up and down each time they were to inspect a different building.

So, armed with my speaking points about the benefits of utilizing a drone, I called around to a few roofing companies today. The most positive reaction I received was lukewarm at best. One guy's comment was "Oof. No thanks.*click!*" Basically I was striking out and striking out hard. Not wanting to torch every possible company in the area, I backed off my approach as it was blatantly obvious that I needed to go back to the drawing board to find a better method.

I'm still working my day job, although I can take some time away as needed to go and fly jobs, etc. But I can't just spend multiple hours away making cold call pitches to companies because if I'm not working, I'm not getting paid, and last time I checked, my bank didn't accept 'good intentions' as my mortgage payments ;) Basically, I need an approach that is effective and works considerably better than what I've been trying. I've thought about offering a free job to one of these places, it would give me some portfolio work at the very least, and if I demonstrated the right amount of value, they might consider me for future projects. That approach is admittedly easier with Realtors, because photos have long been a part of their industry, and many in the area have already embraced drone photos as being highly useful. I think the roofing companies around here just haven't really come to that same realization, at least not to the point where they want to contract an outside guy to do the same job that they're already doing with traditional methods.

What are some effective ways you've all found to get clients, either in real estate or construction? Real estate was my initial focus, but as far as I can tell, none of the other pilots out here have branched into anything like construction or inspections. It would be a great niche to fill, especially in between real estate jobs; but ultimately I want to grow both as successfully as possible.
Know your target audience. The roofer doesn't need you to fly the roof. He has a ladder. Focus on the person that needs information and DOES NOT have a ladder. That's the Insurance Co and Claims Adjuster. Make some professional broshures, and drop them at some of the local Insurance companies in the area. Short money and time.

Reactions: B Coleman
RE: Cold Calls - it's a numbers game
I had someone years ago tell me if you make 100 cold calls you will get 10 people that will listen and out of those ten you will get one person to do business.

Calling people is a completely wrong way to go. You can't share the visuals and whoever you get on the phone is likely not going to have any idea of what you are talking about unless they are already familiar with drones. You need to do a couple of pro bono jobs of different use-cases, get waivers signed to share the data and then market the hell out of it. Get a 3D model printed of a couple of interesting features on a site or a building.

Unfortunately allot of the current industries really exploding with drones are buddy-buddy businesses (real estate/construction) so you need to find some mixers and start attending.

My recommendation is to market with out marketing. Like you I am a relatively new pilot. I obtained my part 107 in order to provide additional offerings to my current clients and to reach new types of clients. My recommendations:

1. Start building your portfolio. Fly every moment you can, practice drills every day, continuously get better at what you do. Along the way put together videos, take photos, and hone your craft. Learn from others. Everyone starts off with virtually the same capabilities...none. The harder you work the better you get.
  2. As you do this for several months begin sharing your work on social media. If you don't do social media it is time. Since this is digital work you need a digital presence. Must haves are website, instagram, Linkedin an Nextdoor presence. Those are great for local.
  3. Spend 1 to 2 hours a day developing your social media presence. Remember to think local. Nextdoor is great for local. People like to hire local. Word of mouth is the best advertising. At least 5 days a week I will share a video or a single image and ask for feedback. Not only do people get to see your work, your work continues to grow.
  4. Be passionate about what you do. If you are passionate, enjoy it, opportunities do arise.
  5. Look at markets that are not obvious. I find public relation firms, advertising agencies, marketing companies do not get the same number of cold calls as Realtors do. You would also be surprised at how many Real Estate Photo companies do not have a licensed and insured pilot.
  6. Get your Daylight Operations waiver. Fewer people have that that and a lot of real estate firms want night time photos.
  7. Specialize. I am not saying don't do multiple types of work but pick on core competency and build your vertical on it. But don't choose that specialty for several months. Find out what you are passionate about.

Through this approach I am consistently picking up opportunities. I have partnered with a real estate photo company to provide them aerials. In fact, we are creating special packages together. I have filmed multiple landmarks in my city and have marketing firms that have paid for the footage. I have had home owners asked for video and photos of roof and gutters so they could see if there was any damage. I put together a quick video for a new community park and they asked for the video. No business happens overnight. Remember, it's all about your direction, not speed.

Just my two cents. I have a long way to go and make mistakes along the way but the direction is up :)

<iframe src="VSA Solutions Aerial Sample from Kevin Morris on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JaxBeachSunrise.jpg

Reactions: B Coleman
My recommendation is to market with out marketing. Like you I am a relatively new pilot. I obtained my part 107 in order to provide additional offerings to my current clients and to reach new types of clients. My recommendations:

1. Start building your portfolio. Fly every moment you can, practice drills every day, continuously get better at what you do. Along the way put together videos, take photos, and hone your craft. Learn from others. Everyone starts off with virtually the same capabilities...none. The harder you work the better you get.
  2. As you do this for several months begin sharing your work on social media. If you don't do social media it is time. Since this is digital work you need a digital presence. Must haves are website, instagram, Linkedin an Nextdoor presence. Those are great for local.
  3. Spend 1 to 2 hours a day developing your social media presence. Remember to think local. Nextdoor is great for local. People like to hire local. Word of mouth is the best advertising. At least 5 days a week I will share a video or a single image and ask for feedback. Not only do people get to see your work, your work continues to grow.
  4. Be passionate about what you do. If you are passionate, enjoy it, opportunities do arise.
  5. Look at markets that are not obvious. I find public relation firms, advertising agencies, marketing companies do not get the same number of cold calls as Realtors do. You would also be surprised at how many Real Estate Photo companies do not have a licensed and insured pilot.
  6. Get your Daylight Operations waiver. Fewer people have that that and a lot of real estate firms want night time photos.
  7. Specialize. I am not saying don't do multiple types of work but pick on core competency and build your vertical on it. But don't choose that specialty for several months. Find out what you are passionate about.

Through this approach I am consistently picking up opportunities. I have partnered with a real estate photo company to provide them aerials. In fact, we are creating special packages together. I have filmed multiple landmarks in my city and have marketing firms that have paid for the footage. I have had home owners asked for video and photos of roof and gutters so they could see if there was any damage. I put together a quick video for a new community park and they asked for the video. No business happens overnight. Remember, it's all about your direction, not speed.

Just my two cents. I have a long way to go and make mistakes along the way but the direction is up :)

<iframe src="VSA Solutions Aerial Sample from Kevin Morris on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View attachment 2107
I'm not sure how "market without marketing" works, but the rest is sound advice. Also, since these drone are already specialized (take pictures and video) diversification is a key, not specialization of what your capabilities are. This is true of pretty much any business that requires a specific skill set. Construction would be a good example. Bottom line is can you build something... You can specialize in structures, civil work, carpentry of whatever, but at the end of the day you are part of a team and industry, not a specific skill. Drones are an industry in of themselves, but at the same time part of other industries.

What was your other skill before approaching drones? It may be worth thinking about marrying the two or if they don't directly marry what else could you do with that other skill that could?

Aviato_Aerial, lots of good comments already on this thread, especially BigA107's. You may want to focus your energy and time on identifying a variety of specific problems that potential customers need to solve near where you live, at least in the short term. And develop examples of how you can help solve those problems, for easy discovery on a website, YouTube, Instagram, etc.. You will need to be able to quickly explain how your specific service is better than the other ways that the customer could "solve" their current problem. Some customers may not acknowledge or admit that they have the problem that you want to help them solve.

My website needs a makeover, however you may get some ideas from the various services that I imagined might be needed by at least one local customer, some day. Best wishes to you.

Social media is the future (and present). I was a real estate sales agent for a number of years and supplied my clients (buyers & sellers) with various types of printed media ( brochures, cost sheets, etc.) Then for personal reasons I left that line of work for an extended period of time. When I got back into real estate again I ordered a selection of different brochures and handouts for my prospective clients. I had them on my desk and my broker walked over and asked what they were for. I explained that they were handouts for clients. She politely explained to me how I had wasted my money because nobody would want them because everybody uses social media. She said I needed Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Youtube

Reactions: adm_geomatics
I'm not sure how "market without marketing" works, but the rest is sound advice. Also, since these drone are already specialized (take pictures and video) diversification is a key, not specialization of what your capabilities are. This is true of pretty much any business that requires a specific skill set. Construction would be a good example. Bottom line is can you build something... You can specialize in structures, civil work, carpentry of whatever, but at the end of the day you are part of a team and industry, not a specific skill. Drones are an industry in of themselves, but at the same time part of other industries.

What was your other skill before approaching drones? It may be worth thinking about marrying the two or if they don't directly marry what else could you do with that other skill that could?

I have been in construction all my life. Foreman pipe fitter/ welder. Im just starting out also in the drone business. my web page is buildingamerica702.com still work in progress.
With that said Im going after construction work. having OSHA 10 is a must for this also. here is a video link

Welcome to the forums - great place to get tips and answers to your questions. Also, the search function if an excellent place to search for the many questions a new member will have.

I have been in construction all my life. Foreman pipe fitter/ welder. Im just starting out also in the drone business. my web page is buildingamerica702.com still work in progress.
With that said Im going after construction work. having OSHA 10 is a must for this also. here is a video link
Fellow contractor here. Nice, congrats! Good point on the OSHA, but not required unless you are directly employed by a contractor on the site. Flying over people is not ok.

Last edited:
Fellow contractor here. Nice, congrats! Good point on the OSHA, but not required unless you are directly employed by a contractor on the site. Flying over people is not ok.

When you show up and check in with the Foreman or Site Manager, having your own personal gear, dressed properly, insurance and a 10 card goes A LONG way to putting them at ease with having you onsite. Can mean the difference between being escorted constantly or just being told “Let me know when you’re done”.

Reactions: MCW LLC
When you show up and check in with the Foreman or Site Manager, having your own personal gear, dressed properly, insurance and a 10 card goes A LONG way to putting them at ease with having you onsite. Can mean the difference between being escorted constantly or just being tol “Let me know when you’re done”.
As I said before, I am a contractor and have been for almost 20 years. Any site that has a job trailer probably (or should) have a sign in. Proof of insurance and OSHA 10 and even identification is a good thought, but it's not required and no one cares as long as you check in. This includes subcontracting for larger contractors and providing drones services outside our company. I'm simply pointing out that 9 out of 10 contractors are now happy to have a drone on a jobsite if the pilot uses common sense. If they don't like drones it's a distinct possibility that they had a bad operator at some point. As an example, years back (before we started our program) we hired a pilot from a reputable pilot contractor to demo fly one of our jobsites. The guy not only didn't check-in at the trailer and have PPE like the giant sign said at the gate, but he was in shorts an flip-flops. Almost worse it was a new public safety training facility right next to the existing police station. Needless to say that contractor does not do business with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCW LLC
there for not necessary, but would not stop on the job without it, OSHA 10 or 30- high vis, boots, cones to layout your area, conduct your self in a construction environment.......... it will go a very long way!

Reactions: adm_geomatics

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonChar