Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What are some effective and/or creative ways you've found to get clients?

In today's market, UAS operations are not a walk in the park. Back in 2013(ish) it was a different game and your "tactics" would work a LOT better than today.

Today you have the following hurdles against you:

A) Crazy amount of competition that is willing to work for cheap (nothing in some cases for "exposure/practice/experience)
B) Bar for Entry is almost non existent 1) Heart beat 2) credit card
C) "Drones" have gotten such a negative wrap that you've got to walk in the door toting the positives to just get back to even on the conversation
D) Many of your customers don't know what you can do and may not have the time/desire to try something "new and unproven".
E) Often times (honestly most of the time) this "great new widget" fails to perform as advertised and most companies don't want to be the Guinea Pig for product testing and development.

In today's economy and social landscape you've got to invest the time & effort to make cold calls and you've got to make them a LOT!! Until you're able to develop a brand AND a reputation you have nothing to support you. It takes time, it sucks, and it's hard to spend some much time going around town shaking hands and networking but that's the only way to even have a remote change of long-term success.

Lastly.... this is just my 2-cents.... you've got to be on your A-GAME before you knock on that first door. You will not get a 2nd chance for a first impression. Your attire, your presentation, your knowledge, your demeanor, your product offering, and your experience have to be On POINT from the very first moment. Don't make the mistake of being half way prepared thinking, "I'll go ahead and make these first few calls today and I'll work on my portfolio/presentation/product offerings once I have a few clients." You fumble from the start you have killed your chances of impressing the client and "Earning" the opportunity to work with them.
This is excellent!

Thanks for all the replies, lots of great stuff there, really.

To update on the past few months since my initial post, I soldiered on after that post, and got a couple more real estate gigs. One of the clients is flakey, and has decided that she would rather use her regular interior photographer and have her husband fly her listings with his drone instead. Not much I can do there, her interior photographer does amazing work; and since I don't fly for free, her hubby has me beat for price (that is unless the FAA comes a-knocking at her door) One other realtor I managed to get a job by flying one of her new construction listings and sending her watermarked prints. I sold my aerial photos and got an interior shooting gig as well out of that, but she hasn't had any new listings hit the market for obvious reasons. The third realtor I've flown for is actually the son of one of my dad's friends. Social networking at its finest and I've flown 2 jobs for him. However, the real estate market has been a little wonky, again for obvious reasons, and I kind of let myself go a bit lax waiting on things to get back to "normal-ish", especially as I've been busy with my day job and also home schooling my daughter.

But I've spent a considerable amount of time and money getting into this field, so I definitely need to get back into things since this is as "normal" as things are going to get for now. I enjoy real estate photo shoots, but I'm also rapidly learning that the market is leaner than I'd like, so I'm not just debating how to get more real estate jobs, but also what other markets I could easily transition into so I'm not just putting all my eggs in the 'real estate drone photography' basket.

Just out of curiosity, what other markets have others here maybe found by chance or fallen into? I'm looking into what other areas I can tap that maybe haven't been noticed by the other drone pilots out here, so that I can find my niche and get an edge on the competition.

We’ve abandoned residential real estate and smaller clients like roofers. It’s not that we don’t take these jobs, we just don’t actively market (cold calling) towards these groups. As many others have said drones operators are a dime a dozen today and most work for too little fee.

My tip is to go big. Try developing relationships with large clients in your area. Utility providers, large construction companies, Engineers etc. They see the incredible value in drones for the data they provide (photogrammetry, inspections), not just nice looking photos and videos. These professionals all talk with one other so you will get many referrals this way.

Also, build your social media presence. This is much more effective to capture smaller jobs once you have a large presence and it takes less time than cold calling.

Good luck!

Don't be afraid to "upgrade" your existing clients. Just ask. All they can say is "no".

Last week a client I've flown a few jobs for, just basic video, asked for an estimate/availability on a new property. I gave them what I'd done for them in the past, plus I also included a bid with extra aerials and terrestrials, telling them that this is how most of my clients typically engage me, a complete package. (3X cost)

They said yes, let's go with that.

Cool.

Most professional service providers have a mission statement and defined set of services they bring to the table. Providing this is a central part of any proposal so the clients know your full capability rather than having them feel nickel-and-dimed in the end. The variance in the offerings in our environment are how the services are then delivered. Hourly, lump sum and contracted are the most typical.

The new normal will probably put a kabosh on this until a COVID vaccine is widely available, but when things reopen up don't forget about your local and regional Chamber of Commerce business organizations that hold monthly networking events so businesses can connect and learn about each other's existance. It is the perfect opportunity to meet face to face (or mask to mask) with business people who may benefit from your service. It's the perfect atmosphere to introduce yourself to many local businesses during the course of an evening.

The new normal will probably put a kabosh on this until a COVID vaccine is widely available, but when things reopen up don't forget about your local and regional Chamber of Commerce business organizations that hold monthly networking events so businesses can connect and learn about each other's existance. It is the perfect opportunity to meet face to face (or mask to mask) with business people who may benefit from your service. It's the perfect atmosphere to introduce yourself to many local businesses during the course of an evening.
We have found Nearly the opposite. Business has carried on as usual and we've had people more receptive to drones because instead of sending a crew out to survey we can send one operator with a drone. They are then surprised because the Drone can cover so much more ground at a lesser cost. If many people are thinking the way that you do now is the time to go after it. Since we have so much time on her hands...

We have found Nearly the opposite. Business has carried on as usual and we've had people more receptive to drones because instead of sending a crew out to survey we can send one operator with a drone. They are then surprised because the Drone can cover so much more ground at a lesser cost. If many people are thinking the way that you do now is the time to go after it. Since we have so much time on her hands...

I think you misunderstood me. I meant COVID has temporarily put a kabosh on the networking meetings.

For the last two and half years I've been working on construction site, that has led to another smaller construction job. What I learned is you need to be keenly aware of what the contractor wants to see, and how he wants to see it. I'm no expert because many here have had a lot more diversified experience. One thing, DO NOT low ball a job, if you are cheap you won't be looked upon as professional. Make sure you can deliver decent quality photos and videos, contractors aren't looking for beauty shots, they are looking for work progression and the ability to inspect from the comfort of their office in some cases.
Selling point, the superintendent that I have been working with told me that our mapping, panos, and videos saved him countless hours by not needing to go out and make physical inspections. If you can help save a contractor time, you are saving him money, basically you need to show him the benefits of the service you provide.
As for real estate, may experience has been it is a waste of time, realtors normally don't want to pay squat. I have got a few good jobs from insurance companies doing aerial and standard photography and they basically just want point and shoot photos.

For the last two and half years I've been working on construction site, that has led to another smaller construction job. What I learned is you need to be keenly aware of what the contractor wants to see, and how he wants to see it. I'm no expert because many here have had a lot more diversified experience. One thing, DO NOT low ball a job, if you are cheap you won't be looked upon as professional. Make sure you can deliver decent quality photos and videos, contractors aren't looking for beauty shots, they are looking for work progression and the ability to inspect from the comfort of their office in some cases.
Selling point, the superintendent that I have been working with told me that our mapping, panos, and videos saved him countless hours by not needing to go out and make physical inspections. If you can help save a contractor time, you are saving him money, basically you need to show him the benefits of the service you provide.
As for real estate, may experience has been it is a waste of time, realtors normally don't want to pay squat. I have got a few good jobs from insurance companies doing aerial and standard photography and they basically just want point and shoot photos.
Man this is key! As @R.Perry said don't undersell your services or low ball a job. You'll be doing yourself and the industry as a whole a huge favor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonChar