Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What do you do with half a battery?

aerialimagery

Reaction score
Presuming you're using your drone and batteries regularly, would it be better at the end of the day to charge that battery or use it up the next day?

Assuming you are talking about TB47/48/50/55, If the batteries are between 30% and 50% leave them be. Set the auto discharge to 1-3 days and walk away unless you plan on leaving them for months. Charge them to 100% the next day for the intended flight.

If you do not get to fly the next day they will be ready to go into storage if you can't fly for a few days.

Reactions: BigAl07
Great advice from @Florida Drone Supply.

We have our "Auto-discharge" days set to (5) days. If we aren't using a battery the next day (usually we are) we leave it be and let it auto-discharge to "Storage Level". We routinely go through each and every battery 1x a month and note charge/discharge cycles, battery health, and determine whether or not it's time to do a DEEP discharge cycle. (this is old school method so YMMV)

If we are going to fly the next day we top off all packs and Tx to 100% the night before or the morning of the flight session.

Also we always have at least 1 flight of batteries (between 1 and 6 batteries) for any given aircraft sitting at 100% charge so we are always 100% mission ready. If you decide to go this route you'll need to take very clear and detailed battery maintenance notes so you're not leaving the same flight packs at 100% over and over. LIPO do not appreciate being kept at 100% for extended periods of time over and over. You'll fool around and have a PUFFED pack which is useless and an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Great advice from @Florida Drone Supply.

We have our "Auto-discharge" days set to (5) days. If we aren't using a battery the next day (usually we are) we leave it be and let it auto-discharge to "Storage Level". We routinely go through each and every battery 1x a month and note charge/discharge cycles, battery health, and determine whether or not it's time to do a DEEP discharge cycle. (this is old school method so YMMV)

If we are going to fly the next day we top off all packs and Tx to 100% the night before or the morning of the flight session.

Also we always have at least 1 flight of batteries (between 1 and 6 batteries) for any given aircraft sitting at 100% charge so we are always 100% mission ready. If you decide to go this route you'll need to take very clear and detailed battery maintenance notes so you're not leaving the same flight packs at 100% over and over. LIPO do not appreciate being kept at 100% for extended periods of time over and over. You'll fool around and have a PUFFED pack which is useless and an accident waiting for a place to happen.

Thanks for the comment, we are curious as to how many cycles you and others have on your TB50's? I think our highest is around 120, where are you in this?

Thanks for the comment, we are curious as to how many cycles you and others have on your TB50's? I think our highest is around 120, where are you in this?

Anytime sir. Well deserved.

We don't have an Inspire 2 in our fleet so I can't answer that one. Hopefully someone flying an I2 will chime in and have some input.

I'm flying the Inspire 2, have eight pairs of batteries, four pair are now over 100 charges and the cells are holding up very well with voltages withing 0.03 of each other.

One thing I have noticed is the older batteries will still register 99%- 100% when fully charged but won't last as long. Seem to be 4 to 5 minutes less flight and photo time between old and newer ones.

Big A, what are you using as a criteria for doing a deep discharge, and what "old school" method are you using?

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries internal resistance has a direct effect on the current it can deliver, the higher the resistance the less peak current it can deliver and consiquently discharge faster. It would really be nice to have battery chargers that also showed internal cell resistance.

I'm flying the Inspire 2, have eight pairs of batteries, four pair are now over 100 charges and the cells are holding up very well with voltages withing 0.03 of each other.

One thing I have noticed is the older batteries will still register 99%- 100% when fully charged but won't last as long. Seem to be 4 to 5 minutes less flight and photo time between old and newer ones.

I think that DJI used some "Creative" algorithms to come up with their battery "Health" and sometimes it was just a WAG I'm afraid. I've noticed the same as you across many platforms.

Big A, what are you using as a criteria for doing a deep discharge, and what "old school" method are you using?
We used to use a number like 30 flights before we would "Cycle" our older tech batteries but a few years ago when DJI started telling to do a Deep Discharge (which they no longer mention/suggest) around 20 cycles we adopted that # and never changed it. That's the method I'm calling Old School because DJI no longer suggests this process. My personal belief is it's a solid process but it does incur some battery RISK because you can't just discharge to a low level and leave it. It's got to be done manually as to not go "too deep" and cause harm to the battery.

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries internal resistance has a direct effect on the current it can deliver, the higher the resistance the less peak current it can deliver and consiquently discharge faster. It would really be nice to have battery chargers that also showed internal cell resistance.

That would be AWESOME!

On a side-note. . , I read in a Tech Article recently where a company has developed a process where a battery can "Heal" itself to reduce resistance using High Heat. Over time and through normal usage the sheets in the battery grow small protrusions that great increase resistance and this high heat causes them to melt and rejoin the original battery layer. It was still at the LABORATORY stage but it showed great promise for the future of "Battery Longevity" (battery life not capacity). I'd be surprised if battery manufacturers don't grab that technology and "suppress it" to keep it from slowly replacement battery sales.

All these posts are great, and I understand people do things differently based on techniques that keep evolving.

I would enjoy hearing opinions on how I treat my batteries for lack of a real battery management program to see if there is some room for improvement.

I currently fly an I2 for a TV show that has a shooting schedule of nine months. I have my battery set for the default 10 day discharge because there rarely is a time when 10 days goes by without a flight. I top off my batteries (6 setsTB50’s) that have flown the last flight, and if there are any un-used, I check the levels and if ok I fly those first.

During hiatus, work is slow so I will let the batteries discharge themselves to around 50% then top them off, and repeat until regular work resumes. All advice/opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think charging at 50% isn't a good idea. One of the reason is we all know batteries are only good for so many cycles (charges), that number is different on all batteries. I want my batteries to be in the 20% range before I recharge them. However when flying when I get to the 30% mark I'm looking to land.

Since you are shooting videos I assume you are looking for maximum flight time on each flight so you want fresh batteries. You might consider getting a few more batteries and set your discharge rate to a lower number and cycle the battery usage.

I have eight pairs of batteries for the Inspire I normally never use more than five and I constantly cycle the ones I'm using.

I think charging at 50% isn't a good idea. One of the reason is we all know batteries are only good for so many cycles (charges), that number is different on all batteries. I want my batteries to be in the 20% range before I recharge them. However when flying when I get to the 30% mark I'm looking to land.

Since you are shooting videos I assume you are looking for maximum flight time on each flight so you want fresh batteries. You might consider getting a few more batteries and set your discharge rate to a lower number and cycle the battery usage.

I have eight pairs of batteries for the Inspire I normally never use more than five and I constantly cycle the ones I'm using.
Thanks for the advice! I usually fly down to 30-35% and the 50% discharge is for storage. I do get the point that storage discharge should be about the same as flight discharge if that’s what you are suggesting. Should you think that a 5 day discharge would work better? I also usually fly around 4 of my 6 sets so the next flight starts with set 5 before the 10 day discharge setting.

Thanks for the advice! I usually fly down to 30-35% and the 50% discharge is for storage. I do get the point that storage discharge should be about the same as flight discharge if that’s what you are suggesting. Should you think that a 5 day discharge would work better? I also usually fly around 4 of my 6 sets so the next flight starts with set 5 before the 10 day discharge setting.

The five day discharge may work well for you. Let me give you and example. My primary client is two days a week, normally Mondays and Wednesday, I will charge my batteries on Sunday night that I plan on using Monday, say battery pair 1-6, Batteries 7 - 8 Won't be charged until Tuesday and the first used on Tuesday. Needless to say I need to have more batteries for Tuesday so here is where the cycling comes in. I may charge 1-4 one week and 3-6 the next.

As you can see, this ins't ideal, I really should have at least four more pairs of batteries to make the cycling work as it should, but I'm forced to work with what I have. This means some batteries get more use than others, and consequently will fail sooner.

My number of charges is all over the place because of my usage. I fly constantly enough that storage isn't an issue so I'm not a good one to ask for discharge rate, I think I would refer to Big A or someone that has a little more experience in that area.

As for my P4P I haven't been using it enough lately so the batteries are on the 10 day and I will only charge them prior to using it.

The five day discharge may work well for you. Let me give you and example. My primary client is two days a week, normally Mondays and Wednesday, I will charge my batteries on Sunday night that I plan on using Monday, say battery pair 1-6, Batteries 7 - 8 Won't be charged until Tuesday and the first used on Tuesday. Needless to say I need to have more batteries for Tuesday so here is where the cycling comes in. I may charge 1-4 one week and 3-6 the next.

As you can see, this ins't ideal, I really should have at least four more pairs of batteries to make the cycling work as it should, but I'm forced to work with what I have. This means some batteries get more use than others, and consequently will fail sooner.

My number of charges is all over the place because of my usage. I fly constantly enough that storage isn't an issue so I'm not a good one to ask for discharge rate, I think I would refer to Big A or someone that has a little more experience in that area.

As for my P4P I haven't been using it enough lately so the batteries are on the 10 day and I will only charge them prior to using it.

Thanks for the example and advice. Much appreciated.

I was under the impression that LiPo batteries did not have a memory, so if you have a half battery at the end of the day why not just put it on the charger?

If that was already covered than I'm sorry I must have missed it.

I was under the impression that LiPo batteries did not have a memory, so if you have a half battery at the end of the day why not just put it on the charger?

If that was already covered than I'm sorry I must have missed it.

They don't create a "Memory" like Nicads etc did but they do not like to "store" at full levels. The battery will degrade quickly on a fuller charge so ideally if you are going to fly soon don't give it a full charge. This is why the SMART battery software will auto-discharge to a storage level in just a few (set in the ap) days.

They don't create a "Memory" like Nicads etc did but they do not like to "store" at full levels. The battery will degrade quickly on a fuller charge so ideally if you are going to fly soon don't give it a full charge. This is why the SMART battery software will auto-discharge to a storage level in just a few (set in the ap) days.

Thanks for the info. I am of the hazards of storing them charged, and really love the auto discharge features of my DJI battery.

From the OP I came to the impression it was 50% at end of day and he planned to fly the next. If it was me I would just charge it that evening so it would be full for the next days flight.

Did I misunderstand, or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the info. I am of the hazards of storing them charged, and really love the auto discharge features of my DJI battery.

From the OP I came to the impression it was 50% at end of day and he planned to fly the next. If it was me I would just charge it that evening so it would be full for the next days flight.

Did I misunderstand, or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Mike

Good evening Mike. I don't think you missed anything it's just that the question left some "questions" of it's own. The question is below and I think it can only be answered when the OP determines if he/she is going to fly the next day or not.

Presuming you're using your drone and batteries regularly, would it be better at the end of the day to charge that battery or use it up the next day?

If not already flying the next day it can be left alone to "self discharge" to storage levels. If planning to fly then go ahead and top it off the night before or the morning before.

Now in regards to "draining batteries" I will always "fly them down" rather than just sitting on the ground and letting them slowly discharge at idle (although I'v'e done that before when the weather wasn't cooperating with me for flying) or letting the SMART aspects run them down. If I know I'm not going to be using a sUAS for a while I'll run them down flying them (for instance going on vacation etc). If I plan to fly and it just doesn't happen I'll let them auto-discharge but 1x a month I go through and check them and "Tweak" any that have been getting lower than what I like.

Also notice that the OP stated below:
I don't have a clue about most of this. I need to learn some things about battery management.

So he/she is here learning and hopefully using the value/knowledge of our community to build/design their own battery maint. procedure. We all started at the same place it's just that some of us started many many moons ago.

Reactions: Mike Flys

That is true they don't have "memory" and I should have made the clear. I don't think there has been a standard set yet for battery life other than monitoring cell balance and health.

You mentioned DJI algorithm and to be honest I can't figure it out. So I came up with my own that seems pretty close I used 25.92 or 4.32 volts per cell as fully charged, and 19.92 or 3.32 volts as 0% drone falls out of sky. and based my discharge percentages on that 6 volts from full to 0%. I know it is simple but seems to come out close to their numbers especially mid voltage percentages. These are obviously no load percentages. The funny thing is I end up with a couple of new batteries showing 100.17% so mine isn't perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN