Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What is everyone flying? Current projects?

• What aircraft are in your fleet? Commercially, I use a P4 and a P4P, but I also have several DIY craft, some built using frame kits, and some built entirely from scratch using wood for frame material
  • What do you like/dislike about your current fleet? I like almost everything about the Phantoms, but do not like DJI Go 4, so I fly almost entirely with Litchi.
  • What industries do you currently work in? Most of my work so far has been in home inspections for insurance claims, but I've also done some special events and some promotional video.
  • Have you run into any limitations with your current fleet? I have found both the Phantoms to be excellent tools, but I can't say the same for the DJI operating systems as I have experienced some problems there, including not being able to fly the P4P for a day or so until I finally figured out that I had to update the "Precise Fly Safe Database" in order to get off the ground.
  • What project are you currently working on? Home inspections primarily, also some land and timber inspections.
  • Link to website, Instagram, Facebook, etc so we can all support each other. Hughes Aerial Imagery LLC–Drone Aerial Photography – The Drone Zone!

I know a lot of people answered these questions in the introduction section but it is a little tedious to go through all the individual threads. I thought it would be nice to just scroll through all the responses in one common thread...
  • What aircraft are in your fleet?
  • What do you like/dislike about your current fleet?
  • What industries do you currently work in?
  • Have you run into any limitations with your current fleet?
  • What project are you currently working on?
  • Link to website, Instagram, Facebook, etc so we can all support each other.
Hi B_Dawson! Nice to E-Meet you. My name's Jared and I run a film production company called Skylux Media. We specialize in Luxury Brand 7 Destination Travel Videos.

- We currently use the DJI Inspire 2 W/ the X7 and X5S cameras, Inspire 1 W/ X3, and the DJI Mavic Pro.

- There are a lot of pros and cons to the DJI stuff, but for run-and-gun style shooting, I find that they are the best option out there. We can have the Inspire up and running in 5 minutes, so it works great when we're in a time crunch to nail a shot. However, you are stuck with the X5S, and X7 cameras, thought the X7 is a nice improvement. There are definitely times when I wish I had time to set up an M600 and strap and Arri Alexa to it. However, for the price, the cheaper DJI stuff works great.

- We Mostly work with Hotels, Tourism Agencies, and Commercial brands. We would love to do Real Estate, but it's a pretty saturated market where we operate. I'd LOVE to get into industrial work, but I have no clue where to start.

- We just finished shooting a promo for a Polo Club in Zurich Switzerland, and a tourism company in Dubai:

Feel free to check us out online at SKYLUX MEDIA – Premier Filmmaking

• What aircraft are in your fleet?
4x 3DR Solo with GPS/Glonass upgrade, Peau 3.37mm, Peau 5.4mm
  • What do you like/dislike about your current fleet?
like everything except battery life and manual geotagging
  • What industries do you currently work in?
environmental monitoring and surveys
  • Have you run into any limitations with your current fleet?
so far so good for the work i'm doing
  • What project are you currently working on?
8000 acre mine site veg map

When you say manually geotagging are you using Mission Planner or some other software?

Hi B_Dawson! Nice to E-Meet you. My name's Jared and I run a film production company called Skylux Media. We specialize in Luxury Brand 7 Destination Travel Videos.

- We currently use the DJI Inspire 2 W/ the X7 and X5S cameras, Inspire 1 W/ X3, and the DJI Mavic Pro.

- There are a lot of pros and cons to the DJI stuff, but for run-and-gun style shooting, I find that they are the best option out there. We can have the Inspire up and running in 5 minutes, so it works great when we're in a time crunch to nail a shot. However, you are stuck with the X5S, and X7 cameras, thought the X7 is a nice improvement. There are definitely times when I wish I had time to set up an M600 and strap and Arri Alexa to it. However, for the price, the cheaper DJI stuff works great.

- We Mostly work with Hotels, Tourism Agencies, and Commercial brands. We would love to do Real Estate, but it's a pretty saturated market where we operate. I'd LOVE to get into industrial work, but I have no clue where to start.

- We just finished shooting a promo for a Polo Club in Zurich Switzerland, and a tourism company in Dubai:

Feel free to check us out online at SKYLUX MEDIA – Premier Filmmaking

Whoa, good work. Those were great videos! I like the mix of ground and aerial shots.

Do you also do the ground camera work?

Thank you for this. I am in South Florida.

What aircraft are in your fleet?
Yuneec Typhoon H Pro, DJI Mavic Pro, 3DR Solo (with GoPro Hero 4 Black, MRO GPS, Green Cube Flight Controller, and Solex App). I've done the video feed mod on the Solo with the foam block and the HDMI port pinch. Video has worked perfectly since then.

What do you like/dislike about your current fleet?
Likes - Typhoon H is a terrific flyer with an incredibly smooth gimbal. An absolute beast in the wind. Solor is also a beast in the wind, but the wind will affect the video footage. It seems like the Solo gimbal is a weak point. Dislikes - Flight times, wish they were better on the Typhoon H and the Solo. Range on the Solo is not as good as the TH and the Mavic. Mavic flight performance is pretty poor in a headwind.

What industries do you currently work in?
I am just getting started, no commercial projects yet. Passed the Part 107 test in late December, still waiting on my ID card.

Have you run into any limitations with your current fleet?
Same response as the dislikes above.

What project are you currently working on?
Ummm.....

Link to website, Instagram, Facebook, etc so we can all support each other.
Don't have a website yet. New business cards are just arriving now. Here is my Youtube page for videos that I have done as a hobbyist.
Grec's Whirlybird

Hey ProBowie,

I'm sure you can tell a difference in the image quality between the Mavic and the Inspire, but do you find that your customers can tell a difference?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...

Is there a difference? Yes, but the general public/customer would not be able to discern unless they were looked at side by side on a high resolution monitor. Most images are used for informational storage, but some are for marketing on the internet where everything is JPG so basically there is no difference.

If I can put a camera in the air. Any UAV will do LOL. back in 2015 I was using Yuneec Moved to DJI which gave me better captures

its all fun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905