Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What is the best non-DJI/non-DSLR drone for images and video?

Do you believe DJI is sharing user data with the Chinese government?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
Hoping some CDP subscribers can make recommendations on this, along with Pros and Cons. Looking for 20MP/4k minimum.Thanks in advance. K

I have an Autel X Star Premium that started my obsession with drones--it does well for a 12 MP and 4K video. There are a mess of folks who love the new EVO. May want to check them out.

This is a picture I took with my X Star. It's a very friendly platform to fly, that would be my best Pro--along with their customer service. The worst thing I can say about the Autel is the Geofence that cannot be turned off. Wolf Flag 1.JPG

Last edited:

Hubsan Zino (budget - not for mapping, but very good)
Parrot Anafi
Autel Evo 2 (coming)
Skydio 2 (reserve)
Yuneec H520 w/ E90 Camera
Yuneec Typhoon H3 (coming)

My question is how can you recommend the Skydio 2 without actually seeing or testing it in person?

Reactions: R.Perry
Well played then.
Funny thing was that the box didn't work the first time though, lol. Why you never do live demos... I can't imagine leaving a box with a drone in it on one of our jobsites either, but the aircraft itself was pretty sweet. It will be more interesting when people get it in their hands and start writing custom python for it.

Reactions: BigAl07
Funny thing was that the box didn't work the first time though, lol. Why you never do live demos... I can't imagine leaving a box with a drone in it on one of our jobsites either, but the aircraft itself was pretty sweet. It will be more interesting when people get it in their hands and start writing custom python for it.

One of the reviews I saw yesterday summed it up as "It's not perfect, but it's 80% of the way there."

This drone is only going to get better as the software updates come out. This and the Evo 2 have me salivating.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
One of the reviews I saw yesterday summed it up as "It's not perfect, but it's 80% of the way there."

This drone is only going to get better as the software updates come out. This and the Evo 2 have me salivating.
I think the drone is further than that, but with what we saw of the whole solution your probably right. The automation of taking off from, landing back in and wirelessly charging from a box is got to be pretty sophisticated set of instructions.

Reactions: Capt Binkley
Still old school but 3D Robotics Solo is solid. You can have a Solo for $400 and pretty solid in wind. Great gimbal.

Attachments

• 8F62C0C3-1944-4B7E-8A4F-FB10EBAFAD47.jpeg
    8F62C0C3-1944-4B7E-8A4F-FB10EBAFAD47.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Still old school but 3D Robotics Solo is solid. You can have a Solo for $400 and pretty solid in wind. Great gimbal.
The 3DR Solo was a game changer in 2015, but I think most of the people here have moved way beyond that technology. While the drone itself may be adequate the gimbal is very lacking for autonomous flight. Technology from 2014 and 2015 is going to do in a bind if that is what you are after.

The 3DR Solo was a game changer in 2015, but I think most of the people here have moved way beyond that technology. While the drone itself may be adequate the gimbal is very lacking for autonomous flight. Technology from 2014 and 2015 is going to do in a bind if that is what you are after.
I agree. However Solex has done a great job with their software, mission planner and open solo has given it new life. You are limited to the GoPro 4. Miné is my back up if my Mavic is down and it does great in higher wind speeds.

I agree. However Solex has done a great job with their software, mission planner and open solo has given it new life. You are limited to the GoPro 4. Miné is my back up if my Mavic is down and it does great in higher wind speeds.
Thanks for the info. Never heard of Solex before. Sounds like I have a reason to dust off the Solo and play.

Hoping some CDP subscribers can make recommendations on this, along with Pros and Cons. Looking for 20MP/4k minimum.Thanks in advance. K

I can't recommend anything and know as much as you do about what's available. I do know one thing... Check out the availability of parts and repairs in your part of the world before purchasing. There are many brands that do not have any repair facilities or ability to do repairs in the US. I had one that would have had to be shipped back to China and is now a paperweight.

Hey JDS, are you sure about geofencing on the Autel X Star? I've had one for 3 years and never had such an issue. I'd love to hear more about that.
As good as the XStar is, I wouldn't recommend it as Autel has discontinued it and parts are getting scarce. Batteries are no longer available. Go with the Autel Evo 2 Pro. Highly rated, no geofencing, and probably my next drone.

I'm a big fan of Autel Robotics because I believe their products are high quality and their customer service is excellent. I started with the XStar premium, then the EVO and now have the EVO 2 Pro which is an awesome platform, not only for it's camera but also it's flight capabilities.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM