Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What is the highest and the lowest temperature that You flight was made?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm curious -what is the highest, and the lowest, temperature that Your flight was made without any trouble? Yestarday I was flying in -5 celcius degrees (about 23 Faranheit degrees). I didnt have any troubles - My drone flight time was quite normal, after landing I didnt find any sign of Ice. What are your experiences?

Trial photos from yeasterday flight below :)

DJI_0122 - Kopia.JPG DJI_0130.JPG

We've flown in the TEENS before. The aircraft did fine the operator was not as fine LOL.

We've also flown in near 100deg with no issues. I'd much rather hot than cold. In cold parts get brittle and batteries can be unhappy if not properly prepared.

Reactions: AerialZ
It's been a very cold Winter so far in my neck of the woods. Coldest air temp to date during shooting has been -10°F with a windchill of -30°F on several occasions. Here are some photos from those times...
_6f5NX_8rGM70pinNQI6qF1LUMKgNGyacpnxLC9MSWw

dma2xox31-cuuMPuj0dHHINShQ0Ag_yfy5NNNuuEGlg

MeFh_nYsNbjYyvFkd4z7Wk0WyeMuu5Sa6vnp81nONQ0

Hello,

I'm curious -what is the highest, and the lowest, temperature that Your flight was made without any trouble? Yestarday I was flying in -5 celcius degrees (about 23 Faranheit degrees). I didnt have any troubles - My drone flight time was quite normal, after landing I didnt find any sign of Ice. What are your experiences?

View attachment 268 View attachment 269

What are you flying?

My Phantom4 Pro Obsidian does not tolerate the cold. I read your comments and they make me wonder if the electronics are out of spec mine. I realize the spec is 32f. At 34-38f I lose my GPS and when the wind chill gets to it it will go into a hover and I have to horse it back to its landing point.

My Phantom4 Pro Obsidian does not tolerate the cold. I read your comments and they make me wonder if the electronics are out of spec mine. I realize the spec is 32f. At 34-38f I lose my GPS and when the wind chill gets to it it will go into a hover and I have to horse it back to its landing point.
I'm not sure what is different, but I've never experienced anything like that. My only flight issues have been due to unexpectedly high wind at 300 feet, and bright, early morning sun interfering with the sensors and creating a false obstacle.

Hello,

View attachment 268 View attachment 269
I live in Minnesota and I have flown (not for long) when it was 15 BELOW ZERO and my Drone said "don't do this to me ever again." But in general I fly all the time when it's about 10 above zero without any problems. I have a P3P.

I flew in 18 degrees F with my 3DR Solo. I kept the drone and batteries warm right up to the flight, plus I picked one of my healthiest batteries to fly with. I didn't actually measure the time in the air, but I'm sure I didn't get the battery time I would normally get on a warm day.

Below is a pic of my backyard (you will see my 3'x3' box garden at the bottom). The hardest part is keeping my fingers warm. I have several gloves that are "touch screen compatible", but they just don't work well on my android tablet. So I end up with a full glove on my left hand, and a fingerless glove on my right. I have Raynaud's syndrome, so my fingers become numb super quick. Needless to say, I can only stand one flight before I have to warm up my hands.

I flew this morning. It was not too cold here (Southeast Alaska), 15F (~ -9C), no problems. I will note that the batteries drained a bit faster, the iPad was testy, and my fingers were cold. Images came-out fine.

I'm a Californian, 45 degrees no less, drone would do fine, too cold for me. 105 in the summer, just right. Drone doesn't seem to care.

I flew the Mavic Pro and P4P when it was 8F. Neither drone has any issues, me, not so much - I'm not a fan of being cold.

I'm not sure what is different, but I've never experienced anything like that. My only flight issues have been due to unexpectedly high wind at 300 feet, and bright, early morning sun interfering with the sensors and creating a false obstacle.

I think I have a DJI Lemon. It doesn't like the cold and the GPS keeps disconnecting in a wide open field.

I think I have a DJI Lemon. It doesn't like the cold and the GPS keeps disconnecting in a wide open field.

I see your flying the Inspire, what software are you using, I had problems with the DJI software doing the same thing.

The only issue I had was with altitude not temperature, I flew up in the Sierras at 9000 feet and went through that batteries in about fifteen minutes. We all know that the air is much thinner at high altitude so the drone was using a lot more power to maintain flight especially when hovering.

I see your flying the Inspire, what software are you using, I had problems with the DJI software doing the same thing.

My Inspire 2 is OK. My problems are with my Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. Stalls at32f and the GPS disconnects all of the tim. Even at 45f.

Flew 3 topographic surveys in Milwaukee 3 weeks ago. Temps were in the 15 to 20 F range. Flight was fine but battery life was half of what we get in Tucson. We kept the batteries warm just prior to each flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sysadtech99