Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What rules can be "bent"?

aerialimagery

Reaction score
If you have authorization to fly according to the grid and you have a subject barely in a "0" cell, but adjacent to one that can be flown, would you fly it? I had one like that, and decided to call the tower the day of the photography to see if they would give me a break, and the controller told me to go ahead and do it, but don't tell anyone he said so. So I don't know what would have happened if I had been caught, and I ended up not doing it anyway because I had to unlock the drone and didn't know how to at that time.

Or let's say you don't have any authorization to fly in class E, but you have a subject just barely inside it. Do you think it would be ok to go ahead and do it so long as you do so safely?

And to those who will cite the exact letter of the law--when you're driving do you ever exceed the speed limit?

At any rate, the current regulations and waiting times are interfering with business that can be conducted safely with or without the approval of the FAA.

If you have authorization to fly according to the grid and you have a subject barely in a "0" cell, but adjacent to one that can be flown, would you fly it? I had one like that, and decided to call the tower the day of the photography to see if they would give me a break, and the controller told me to go ahead and do it, but don't tell anyone he said so. So I don't know what would have happened if I had been caught, and I ended up not doing it anyway because I had to unlock the drone and didn't know how to at that time.

Or let's say you don't have any authorization to fly in class E, but you have a subject just barely inside it. Do you think it would be ok to go ahead and do it so long as you do so safely?

And to those who will cite the exact letter of the law--when you're driving do you ever exceed the speed limit?

At any rate, the current regulations and waiting times are interfering with business that can be conducted safely with or without the approval of the FAA.

I wouldn't do it...but, that's just me. If something happened, your GPS track would have you dead to rights as a violation.

Agree don't take chances, it can come back to bite you. If your going to violate a bit here and a bit there, when would you stop?
Being ethical and your character comes into question then! ?

Is it unethical to drive at 68 mph in a 65 mph zone? Do you always drive exactly at or under the speed limit?

Does driving over the speed limit a little mean it will lead to more violations? Does it mean it will lead you to running red lights and stop signs or driving drunk?

Is it unethical to drive at 68 mph in a 65 mph zone? Do you always drive exactly at or under the speed limit?

Does driving over the speed limit a little mean it will lead to more violations? Does it mean it will lead you to running red lights and stop signs or driving drunk?
Are you saying you will break airspace rules just to get that little edge? I hope not!

Your comparing apples to oranges, Flying is totally a different animal, as I am a private pilot also, we are guided by ATC where, how fast, how high and other rules we must follow.
Unless you are also a Private pilot I wouldn't expect you to understand
Where driving it's a free for all. Yes I go faster than the speed limit, but I'm not ignorant when it comes to safety up in the sky's!

Reactions: We Fly Florida
Good discussion here. Since most fines handed out have been in the $800-$1500 range, one might take a chance if they can cover the fine, right? Oh, taking all the usual precautions to fly safe yada yada yada...

Good discussion here. Since most fines handed out have been in the $800-$1500 range, one might take a chance if they can cover the fine, right? Oh, taking all the usual precautions to fly safe yada yada yada...
Sure I'm tempted, but not worth the sacrifice of others!
Oh by the way, I do not drink and drive, my best friend was killed by one!

Are you saying you will break airspace rules just to get that little edge? I hope not!

Your comparing apples to oranges, Flying is totally a different animal, as I am a private pilot also, we are guided by ATC where, how fast, how high and other rules we must follow.
Unless you are also a Private pilot I wouldn't expect you to understand
Where driving it's a free for all. Yes I go faster than the speed limit, but I'm not ignorant when it comes to safety up in the sky's!

Isn't it possible to bend a rule and be safe at the same time? You break the speeding laws but I presume you do so safely?

Isn't it possible to fly your drone at 425 feet safely?

I have flown with many pilots who have bent the minimum altitude regulations in order to get lower and closer to my photography subject, but they did so safely, where they had a place to land in case of engine failure, etc.

I'm just saying that I don't agree with your premise that bending a rule here and there will lead to disregard for safety and the spirit of the law.

Isn't it possible to bend a rule and be safe at the same time? You break the speeding laws but I presume you do so safely?

Isn't it possible to fly your drone at 425 feet safely?

I have flown with many pilots who have bent the minimum altitude regulations in order to get lower and closer to my photography subject, but they did so safely, where they had a place to land in case of engine failure, etc.

I'm just saying that I don't agree with your premise that bending a rule here and there will lead to disregard for safety and the spirit of the law.
Where then do you stop bending the rules. Next time 435', higher? If that's what you want it's obviously your choice.
If driving 1 drink, ok then 2, ahhh I can handle 3,4,5 and so on until you kill someone!

Reactions: shooter
Where then do you stop bending the rules. Next time 435', higher? If that's what you want it's obviously your choice.
If driving 1 drink, ok then 2, ahhh I can handle 3,4,5 and so on until you kill someone!

You seem to be fine with breaking the speed limit. Are you now driving at 120 mph? I doubt it.

There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Could there be a circumstance where you could fly in a fixed wing at 900 feet agl over an urban area and do so safely? I can think of many scenarios where this would be safe.

What aviation hazard do you present flying your drone at 50 feet near a 100 foot tall building in class E 4 miles from the airport (without authorization)?

Don't get me wrong. I apply for necessary authorizations and I fly safely, but it is very tempting to bend rules, if it can be done safely, and if those rules are onerous and interfere with doing business.

I don't know why you are asking the forum this when your conscious should guide you. Maybe a poll would be better?
I don't think i would do it and i drive 5 mph over the speed limit at times and over if distracted only.

I don't know why you are asking the forum this when your conscious should guide you. Maybe a poll would be better?
I don't think i would do it and i drive 5 mph over the speed limit at times and over if distracted only.

It's a discussion board. I don't see any reason why not to discuss this topic. Nobody has to discuss it if they don't want to.

One thing I don't do is drive faster than the speed limit. I don't think it's safe and is far more dangerous to myself and others than flying my drone at 200 feet a quarter mile into class E airspace without authorization, IMHO. (Not that I am advocating it as a regular practice).

Reactions: Bad Karma
You seem to be fine with breaking the speed limit. Are you now driving at 120 mph? I doubt it.

There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

Could there be a circumstance where you could fly in a fixed wing at 900 feet agl over an urban area and do so safely? I can think of many scenarios where this would be safe.

What aviation hazard do you present flying your drone at 50 feet near a 100 foot tall building in class E 4 miles from the airport (without authorization)?

Don't get me wrong. I apply for necessary authorizations and I fly safely, but it is very tempting to bend rules, if it can be done safely, and if those rules are onerous and interfere with doing business.
Doltish attitude!

Doltish attitude!

OK, I thought we were having a friendly discussion. That remark was uncalled for.

Take care as you violate the rules of the road and don't let your habit of breaking those regulations at will lead you into doing worse things!

Come on now.. don't make this personal one way or the other. Play nice or we get some time off :)

Personally I wouldn't do it. We are making too good of money to risk our certification for one little gig.

Even if you got in and and out and did the job 'safely', the paper trail your drone leaves via GPS will keep you on the hook down the line for the potential of a post dated penalty coming back your way.

My wife and I were in our peddle boat today (not Paddle) at Palatlakaha River Park and then, buzzzzzz, yep overhead a Mavic flying slightly above tree level, and no way in was the operator able to have visual, let alone he was flying into the State Park side of the river. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM