Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What type of drone is this?

AMann

Reaction score
Southern California Edison is going to be using these drones to inspect powerlines in our area, I was curious if anyone can ID this one. Also, is that a RTK unit on top?

25321182-F31B-4428-B6CF-873F14BFC6AD.jpeg

Reactions: Gagey52
Thanks for your reply. I see they’re discontinued, maybe they’ll cost less used now. I don’t know if that’s a RTK module or a beacon.

Southern California Edison is going to be using these drones to inspect powerlines in our area, I was curious if anyone can ID this one. Also, is that a RTK unit on top?

View attachment 3903
I truly hope that they are not using this for a thermal inspection. It is a low resolution FLIR Lepton thermal sensor with 160x120 resolution. My Cat S62 phone has the same sensor in it, but somehow utilizes it better in terms of software for analysis both live and in post.

Hopefully they are using the upgraded Anafi USA which ups the thermal to a 320 resolution FLIR Boson sensor, but that also is not the best tool since it is non-radiometric (Does not give temperature values). Also the Anafi USA has poor range.
It does have a decent zoom feature though.

I own the Anafi Thermal and only kept it because it makes a decent RGB map, can look straight up (zenith) and has some cool flights modes as well as a nifty auto flight planner. For thermography though it is lacking.

Reactions: MikeA and AMann
I truly hope that they are not using this for a thermal inspection. It is a low resolution FLIR Lepton thermal sensor with 160x120 resolution. My Cat S62 phone has the same sensor in it, but somehow utilizes it better in terms of software for analysis both live and in post.

Hopefully they are using the upgraded Anafi USA which ups the thermal to a 320 resolution FLIR Boson sensor, but that also is not the best tool since it is non-radiometric (Does not give temperature values). Also the Anafi USA has poor range.
It does have a decent zoom feature though.

I own the Anafi Thermal and only kept it because it makes a decent RGB map, can look straight up (zenith) and has some cool flights modes as well as a nifty auto flight planner. For thermography though it is lacking.
Is the updated Anafi USA Blue Sky certified also? What about RID? Considering leaving my DJI drone for something legal to fly on some federal wildlife survey projects.

Is the updated Anafi USA Blue Sky certified also? What about RID? Considering leaving my DJI drone for something legal to fly on some federal wildlife survey projects.
Yes, the Anafi USA is part of the Blue sUAS. It is $7000 for the commercial version and well over $10K for the real version with professional controller/ground control station.
You will be dissappointed in its range unless you get the +$10K one, which can also hurt you when close if there is competing Wifi around.

Look at the new FLIR SIRAS. It is $10,000 and has a FLIR 640 resolution thermal and 120x zoom RGB. It has an IP rating (So does the Anafi USA), IP 54.
It is not a Blue sUAS, but is from Teledyne/FLIR manufactured in Taiwan and final assembly in the USA. Randall Warnas is involved in this so it has strong backing.

It is not perfect though.

Problems:
Controller cannot charge while on and does not have a removable battery. This hurts for longs flight days.
No RTK now or in near term.
When using HD FPV the screen pixelates but does not do so in stnadard resolution.
The battery charger can only charge two batteries at a time and has not storage charge mode
No 360 obstacle avoidance, just a unique front facing radar (No stereo vision like DJI)
30 minute flight time (Falling behind its direct competitors - DJI M30 and Evo 2 Max)
Far lower max distance than DJI or Autel, but it is supposed to be LOS

Why its awesome:
120 zoom (Proprietary digital zoom)
FLIR Boson radimetric 640 resolution thermal. Great image, radiometric, works with FLIR Tools
FLIR MSX - Shows RGB camera outlines with thermal image
IP 54
Hot swap batteries
A USA company
Removable payload, FLIR says there will be new camera/sensor payloads offered
FLIR promises a longer support life cycle, no DJI with a new product every couple to few years and then EOL
Waypoints mission planning and mapping missions.
Mapping Camera mode (Not sure what this is)
No Geofencing

I am thinking very hard about getting one. As you said, government and similar contracts may necessitate it. It is not Blue sUAS but clicks all of the right boxes security wise.
I really need a drone with an IP rating and FLIR RJPEGs are easier to work with for my use cases. I just need a future update that would allow a RTIFF.

Reactions: MikeA
FLIR promises a longer support life cycle, no DJI with a new product every couple to few years and then EOL

In addition to payload, manufactures need to offer models with modular SOC and radio. They would utltimately be limited by whatever bus is used to connect it. But it would allow craft to be upgraded as control technology advances. The basic mechanical part of the craft does not evolve near as fast as the control and deployable sensors.

You could argue that it would not make financial sense for a manufacture to go down that road. But if a good manufacturer started to produce such an ecosystem, they would soon leave all other manufacturers in the dust if they didn't follow suit. For "true" enterprise, it would be a no-brainier.

Reactions: MikeA and jaja6009
Yes, the Anafi USA is part of the Blue sUAS. It is $7000 for the commercial version and well over $10K for the real version with professional controller/ground control station.
You will be dissappointed in its range unless you get the +$10K one, which can also hurt you when close if there is competing Wifi around.

Look at the new FLIR SIRAS. It is $10,000 and has a FLIR 640 resolution thermal and 120x zoom RGB. It has an IP rating (So does the Anafi USA), IP 54.
It is not a Blue sUAS, but is from Teledyne/FLIR manufactured in Taiwan and final assembly in the USA. Randall Warnas is involved in this so it has strong backing.

It is not perfect though.

Problems:
Controller cannot charge while on and does not have a removable battery. This hurts for longs flight days.
No RTK now or in near term.
When using HD FPV the screen pixelates but does not do so in stnadard resolution.
The battery charger can only charge two batteries at a time and has not storage charge mode
No 360 obstacle avoidance, just a unique front facing radar (No stereo vision like DJI)
30 minute flight time (Falling behind its direct competitors - DJI M30 and Evo 2 Max)
Far lower max distance than DJI or Autel, but it is supposed to be LOS

Why its awesome:
120 zoom (Proprietary digital zoom)
FLIR Boson radimetric 640 resolution thermal. Great image, radiometric, works with FLIR Tools
FLIR MSX - Shows RGB camera outlines with thermal image
IP 54
Hot swap batteries
A USA company
Waypoints mission planning and mapping missions.
Mapping Camera mode (Not sure what this is)
No Geofencing

I am thinking very hard about getting one. As you said, government and similar contracts may necessitate it. It is not Blue sUAS but clicks all of the right boxes security wise.
I really need a drone with an IP rating and FLIR RJPEGs are easier to work with for my use cases. I just need a future update that would allow a RTIFF.
We have extensive knowledge and experience with the SIRAS and have fulfilled many orders across Florida and the US with it. When you are ready to go, we would love to help you out with your purchase of the Teledyne. Also, the only Parrot that is on the Blue List is the Parrot Anafi USA Government Edition which is $14,000. The standard Parrot Anafi USA is not on the Blue List as the controller is made in China.

Reactions: jaja6009
We have extensive knowledge and experience with the SIRAS and have fulfilled many orders across Florida and the US with it. When you are ready to go, we would love to help you out with your purchase of the Teledyne. Also, the only Parrot that is on the Blue List is the Parrot Anafi USA Government Edition which is $14,000. The standard Parrot Anafi USA is not on the Blue List as the controller is made in China.
Yeah if and when I purchase a SIRAS I will definitely consider you. You have most of the few Youtube videos on it.

It really needs to address some major issues though and maybe they will come sooner rather than later.
The controller needs either a removable battery or the ability to charge it while in use. I am not buying another controller to be able to fly long days.
The battery charger needs to be 8 bays also to support long days. And the charger needs to have a strorage mode or the batteries themselves need to be "smarter" and self-discharge to protect themselves.
I have some other gripes, but the two above are my personal deal killers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljupco75