Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

When is it OK to contact a client about getting paid for work?

RickMC

Reaction score
So I've been doing some drone work for a client who is usually very reliable and quick when it comes to paying me. The longest he's ever taken to pay me for a job was 10 days, but the last one I did, it has been over two weeks and I haven't heard anything. There's no rush on my end but would it be OK to shoot him an email to see what the payment status is? I don't want him to think I'm being impatient. Problem is that we never really worked out any kind of formal conditions in terms of when payment should be made after work is delivered.

As stated above, you need to have your bases covered since day ONE! If you aren't working under a contract then you need to make sure your invoice "terms" are stated clearly.

Our invoice states something like:

"By using these images/video you are agreeing to our invoice terms of 30 days unless PRIOR arrangements are agreed upon."

If it's a very good client give him a couple more weeks and contact him. I've had several clients I have contacted and they all (but one) sent payment immediately. Sometimes payment can be delayed through a Corp agency so a couple of weeks isn't a bad delay.

Good luck!!

Reactions: R Martin
Thanks guys, I will take your advice. I'm used to doing work for some of those drone services websites like Drone Base that pay you almost immediately after you submit the work. I guess with your own clients it doesn't work that way.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks guys, I will take your advice. I'm used to doing work for some of those drone services websites like Drone Base that pay you almost immediately after you submit the work. I guess with your own clients it doesn't work that way.

It's your business so set your rules that work out best for you and your clients. Keep in mind some Realtors etc have to submit their bills to a Corp office and some only cut checks every 30 days.

Don't do any work that you can't live without being paid for at least one billing cycle. One of my best clients require me to mail my invoice to the Corp office and once it's there it's usually 6 weeks until I see my check. It's a VERY good check though LOL. They always pay on "their time" but sometimes with larger clients you just need to be flexible. This is part of the "negotiation/dating" process with a new client.

Yep, get your invoice system (even if it's simply two stacks of paper) designed in advance. Your client should know your terms prior to you doing the job, and you should be prompt in producing an invoice that reiterates the terms.

Timidity gets expensive. It amazes me that people are so often scared to set clear and unambiguous terms with clients AND enforce them. I could get 100 clients tomorrow if my terns were "Whenever".

Of course its a good idea to explain your clients and your own expectations clearly when you agree a contract. They will want to know what to expect as a final product and you should explain clearly and in writing what your terms are. Of course your terms are your choice and they need to agree to them before you start any work. Putting your payment terms on your quote should be good for you and them. Add the line "All property included in this invoice remain the property of " your name" until paid for in full." is also a good safety net in the case of dispute.

In direst answer to your question. Jog there memory of due date 10 days prior and then chase on the day its due. Don't be soft as it will come back to bite you later on.

Of course its a good idea to explain your clients and your own expectations clearly when you agree a contract. They will want to know what to expect as a final product and you should explain clearly and in writing what your terms are. Of course your terms are your choice and they need to agree to them before you start any work. Putting your payment terms on your quote should be good for you and them. Add the line "All property included in this invoice remain the property of " your name" until paid for in full." is also a good safety net in the case of dispute.
I find that watermarks serve a useful purpose here. If they’re happy with the watermarked images, they’ll need to send full payment in order to get full-size images without the watermarks.

As a registered land surveyor, I'm required by my state to have a contract to perform services.
I always send, at least, a letter defining the project and the deliverables the client can expect for the fee quoted, with a line for signature of approval at the bottom.
If they won't approve it, I don't do the work.
Never had a problem with payment in over 30 years.

So I finally emailed the client and he was under the impression that I was already paid for this work. He said he would look into it and get back to me. This was two days ago and I still haven’t heard back. Would it be ok for me to reach out again to see if he has an update?

So I finally emailed the client and he was under the impression that I was already paid for this work. He said he would look into it and get back to me. This was two days ago and I still haven’t heard back. Would it be ok for me to reach out again to see if he has an update?

It's entirely up to you but here's how I look at it (and have handled it before). Imagine that he realized it had not been paid and mailed you a check that day. At best you're looking at 2 days. Now what if he had to contact the "Finance Dept" and they have to research and if not paid then cut a check. This could take several days.

We make contact and wait a week. Then make follow up and go from there.

I would wait long enough so that it falls into "no-brainer" territory. Suggest waiting 7 days from the date of your email.

This episode makes an excellent case for always sending a watermarked contact sheet first, then sending full size, unwatermarked images only after payment is made. In all cases, a "postmarked no later than" payment date is highly advised.

Last edited:
We use (and are also sent) invoices through QuickBooks Online. They arrive to the client with the options to pay by check or credit card (you can turn either option on or off). It makes it easy to know if the invoice is paid instead of hoping the check is in the mail. They can still mail in a check, but after they pay with an e-check once they can save their settings and pay you with a click on their phone quite easily going forward. This solution is not the perfect fit for everyone, but since your questions seems to have a number of good answers already I though I would add some different information for you to consider. By the way, the option to pay by "e-check" (which is really just and ACH) only costs you .50 - credit card payment is more of a traditional fee (much like PayPal). Once they pay, it might take a day or two to get the money into your bank, but at least you know its on the way.

Reactions: BigAl07
I get paid electronically for this client so I wouldn’t be waiting on a check. I contacted him again over the weekend to see if he looked into this and I have not yet heard back. What are my options at this point? Do I keep bugging him? At what point do I need to be more aggressive in making sure I get this payment?

I get paid electronically for this client so I wouldn’t be waiting on a check. I contacted him again over the weekend to see if he looked into this and I have not yet heard back. What are my options at this point? Do I keep bugging him? At what point do I need to be more aggressive in making sure I get this payment?

How GOOD of a client is he?

Do you have any terms in your contract or invoice?

Pick up the phone and give him a call. Explain to him that you're trying to close out your books for the Month or Year (this was done in Dec 2018 right?) and you just need to find out when to expect payment from him.

Keep it friendly and civil and stay positive. Remember the Honey vs Vinegar analogy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215