Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Where facility map cells extend beyond controlled airspace...

aerialimagery

Reaction score
I had site to photograph that sat just outside of the class d ring, but when I look at the facility map, it's barely within a cell that extends beyond the the class D. Do we need to fly according to the facility maps in those areas where part of the cell is outside of the controlled space?

No, you should fly according to the airspace boundaries and not the facility map. Because of the square shape grids that make up the facility map and the circular shape that makes up the controlled airspace boundary, there will be some areas outside of the controlled airspace that fall within the grids, but that is just due to geometry.

Just ask yourself, "Am I in controlled airspace?" If yes, don't fly, if no, you're good to go! The UAS facility maps don't depict airspace.

Reactions: jon_at_kittyhawk
No, you should fly according to the airspace boundaries and not the facility map. Because of the square shape grids that make up the facility map and the circular shape that makes up the controlled airspace boundary, there will be some areas outside of the controlled airspace that fall within the grids, but that is just due to geometry.

Just ask yourself, "Am I in controlled airspace?" If yes, don't fly, if no, you're good to go! The UAS facility maps don't depict airspace.

While I'm not agreeing or disagreeing I would highly suggest getting this in writing from your FSDO because what they say is what matters. I whole heartedly agree that what @B_Dawson stated makes complete sense but sometimes that's not how Govt Agencies operate.

From my basic understanding of Geometry it's very difficult to create circular boundaries using only square blocks LOL.

Here's an example. If you don't have authorization to fly in this airspace are you going to worry about flying in part of one of those cells that's well outside of the controlled air space?

Modesto Air Space.JPG

Here's an example. If you don't have authorization to fly in this airspace are you going to worry about flying in part of one of those cells that's well outside of the controlled air space?

All I'm saying is there is no way I'd bet my wallet, company, RPIC on anything BigAl07 or anyone else on the forum says. I'd go straight to the main source of regulation/guidance every single time.

I submitted the photo to the FAA and asked the same question and received this response:

An authorization is only required within Class B, C, D, or E airspace. Therefore, in your picture below, only the areas shaded gray need an authorization. All other airspace is Class G. Just make sure your operational area does not encroach into the gray areas. Also, make sure there is not an adjacent airspace utilizing those same quadrants. I hope that I have answered your question.

Reactions: Chris Anson
While I'm not agreeing or disagreeing I would highly suggest getting this in writing from your FSDO because what they say is what matters. I whole heartedly agree that what @B_Dawson stated makes complete sense but sometimes that's not how Govt Agencies operate.

From my basic understanding of Geometry it's very difficult to create circular boundaries using only square blocks LOL.

That's a great idea. If in doubt it can't hurt to have it in writing from the FSDO.

All I'm saying is there is no way I'd bet my wallet, company, RPIC on anything BigAl07 or anyone else on the forum says. I'd go straight to the main source of regulation/guidance every single time.

@BigAl07 brings up a good point. I would hope that people are taking the advice given here as a starting point and then verifying it within the rules and regulations. I've been trying to include references in other threads as required.

Reactions: BigAl07
Imho...until they include facility map questions on the part 107 test its safe to rely on the airspace map.

Reactions: BigAl07
Good to get as clear as we can on this.
I have asked the FAA the same question regarding Sectionals/airspace vs Facilities Maps.

I thought this was interesting.
This is from the FAA website on Facility Maps FAQ and the purpose of the Facilities Maps.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Facility Maps – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. What are UAS Facility Maps (UASFMs)? What data do they contain?
UASFMs are job aids used by FAA Part 107 processors to help them process airspace authorization requests. They depict the maximum altitude that may be assigned by a FAA processor without additional internal FAA coordination. UAS operators may use these altitudes as a guideline when submitting their UAS Airspace Authorization requests through the FAA DroneZone.

2. How do maps help me as a small UAS operator?
The maps are only meant to suggest altitudes operators may want to consider when submitting their airspace authorization requests; they do not create any new types of airspace or grant approval.

As Big Al stated, opinion only.....I just trained my folks on our Class D Authorization and this is how we taught it. Determine airspace and then only Grid Altitude if inside Controlled.

I had site to photograph that sat just outside of the class d ring, but when I look at the facility map, it's barely within a cell that extends beyond the the class D. Do we need to fly according to the facility maps in those areas where part of the cell is outside of the controlled space?
The Sectional is the final word on airspace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM