Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Where to start with Surveying & Mapping?

Flux

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a licensed drone op, but my background is purely in film making, but i'm looking to get into Aerial Surveying & Mapping also. Where is a good place to start learning about how to perform these types of services?

I have some contacts that are surveyors, and i'm hoping to pitch services to them once I can get up to speed on Aerials etc.

Thanks in advance!

@Flux I try to catalog online drone training and resources at Drone Outlook and I have a mapping category that includes several free courses. If you find other good courses in your search for mapping information please let me know so I can add it to the catalog. good luck!
I found this site totally by chance and luckily bookmarked it. Seemed like there was a lot of good information for somebody just starting out in mapping. I'm sure it would be beneficial if you wanted to add it. Hope it helps.....

I was introduced to mapping by using Drone Deploy. They have excellent tutorials and their support in great. I would take their trial offer and spend most of your time reviewing their tutorials and thin of course map a couple different areas.

Now if you can hook up with some surveyors that will be a big plus. Never refer to your mapping as a survey without a surveyors stamp of approval.

Hello!

I'm a licensed drone op, but my background is purely in film making, but i'm looking to get into Aerial Surveying & Mapping also. Where is a good place to start learning about how to perform these types of services?

I have some contacts that are surveyors, and i'm hoping to pitch services to them once I can get up to speed on Aerials etc.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to drone mapping! Here's a few resources. If you end up working towards centimeter accuracy grade capture and the use of GPS and Ground Control Points (GCP's) then spend some time learning about geodetic and cartesian coordinate systems. In my experience with consulting others wrapping their heads around the survey part and how to give people the correct data with localized accuracy took some time. It would be a good idea to spend a day in the field with your survey contacts just to understand how they are working with their data. Buy them lunch and I am sure they will give you more than you want to know. I help moderate the forums and am happy to help.

DroneDeploy Community Forum - Drone mapping focused community.

Emlid Community Forum - GNSS/GPS use, but there are quite a bit of threads trended towards drones.

DroneDeploy Mapping Documentation - Pay special attention to Analyzing Data as this is what your customers are going to be doing.

Land Surveying Overview - A good intro to understand the basics of different kinds of surveying.

Geographic Data (Advanced) - This is by far the best accumulation of research covering all the controls of capturing geographic data. This link is on coordinate systems, but as you get into accurate mapping the other chapters and topics are good references to have in your back pocket.

I found this site totally by chance and luckily bookmarked it. Seemed like there was a lot of good information for somebody just starting out in mapping. I'm sure it would be beneficial if you wanted to add it. Hope it helps.....

This is an amazing resource - great find @jjdun770 !

Hello!

Thanks in advance!
Before investing and talking with Licensed Surveyors, you may want to be informed about the level of accuracy which is available from the systems which I have been using, and why. If highest accuracy is essential, then additional investment may be required when compared to other approaches. Try to discover how what you want to do... can affect what a Licensed Surveyor's crew members and office staff do today in various sizes of shops, on jobs in the range that you are willing to travel. Your ability to make sufficient income will depend on actual market demand and many other factors which you can find discussed on many "getting started" threads on this forum. Lots of great advice from field and office experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM