Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Which Capture are you using With Micasense

Libitron

Reaction score
I have set up the Micasense MX as a custom camera in Pix4D and GSP. Strangely the GSD is calculated and displayed differently in the two apps. I have used exactly the same camera perimeters (using the numbers provided by Micasense) in both apps. So because of this, I cannot be sure of what GSD I am getting and if overlap is correct. The best I can do is trust the Micasense flight estimator. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I will be using the Micasense overlap trigger

How are you calculating your overlap using a two second timer? Have you figured it out based on speed of flight?
Pix won’t start a mission unless another camera is mounted in IOS. Won’t recognize the drone on Crystalsky. Can’t get maps to work in pilot on Crystalsky. So this is why I ask what app you fly with.

Are you trying to do single sensor/gimbal? We always utilize am X4S for mission planning... the Micasense is just along for the ride. After doing this for 5 years, and having many "not good" experiences with triggers and overlap settings, I have learned that just maximizing the multispec at 2secs gives plenty of overlap... as the apps control the speed for the RGB overlap.

I am not a fan of Pix4D for mission planning. Drone Deploy is the old reliable (but needs a visual camera as well). Dji Pilot is #2.

However... if you Just want to fly the micasense, their flight planning app does a good job with no visual camera. Atlas i think it's called? Used it several times.

How are you calculating your overlap using a two second timer? Have you figured it out based on speed of flight?
Pix won’t start a mission unless another camera is mounted in IOS. Won’t recognize the drone on Crystalsky. Can’t get maps to work in pilot on Crystalsky. So this is why I ask what app you fly with.
What bird are you using??

What hardware do you use? Is Micasense the only camera on board? I have not flown Micasense sensors but guess that their wi-fi interface allows for good mission planning as well as calculating GSD.
Otherwise mission planning for your drone and setting the Micasense could be meant separate issues. Plan you mission as though you were flying your drone's RGB camera to secure coverage of the plot/field and set your Micasense camera to trigger at e.g. 2 seconds or whatsoever and you are good.

What bird are you using??

M210v2. I will give DD a try. The micasense planner is great for planning at least for gsd, overlap and speed considerations. What’s interesting is that I have found that the GSD based on altitude is different in Micasense planner in comparison to other flight applications using same parameters. You should try it, or maybe you already know about that. I don’t mind flying with the X4S on board as well. I’m going to try strapping the XT on sometime very soon.

Thanks for the DroneDeploy suggestion. I just have not had tablets or iPads that are compatible with it. That includes an Air 2, mini 5, Tripltek pro and Crystalsky. I ordered a mini 5 a couple of days ago. That should take care of it.

I wouldn’t mind pushing this discussion a little to ask if anyone who is using the Pix4D linked Ctl+DJI and capture app on a Crystalsky or Tripltek Pro gets an unknown aircraft message in capture?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM