Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Who has received authorization in class D airspace - 2500 feet from the runway?

CactusJackSlade

Reaction score
I have a client that wants video/photos of a construction job that is only 2500 feet from the runway in class D airspace.

Obviously there is no automated LAANC waiver you can get. Has anyone flown this close, or even at an airport and gotten authorization and if so what steps did you take? I'm pretty much assuming you have to go the FAA paper waiver route?

Thanks in advance :)

CJS

It won't be a waiver; it will be an authorization. And it'll take at least 90 days to get it, if you submitted everything correctly.

When you try for a LAANC authorization for that area (via whatever phone app you normally use), you should get directions about what to do / links to websites you need to go to. Follow those directions and be prepared to waaaaiiiitttt!

My local class D airport doesn't have LAANC available (but it does have the "grid" that shows what altitudes you can fly), so I applied for an authorization. It ended up allowing me to fly up to the height stated in the "grid" as long as I coordinated with the tower. ??? I could do that *before* the auth, without contacting the tower! But, it also allowed me to coordinate with the tower to fly in the "zero" altitude areas, and the tower guys were aware of who I was when I called to coordinate a flight.

That was a couple of years ago, and I haven't applied again, so your mileage may vary.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
It won't be a waiver; it will be an authorization. And it'll take at least 90 days to get it, if you submitted everything correctly.

When you try for a LAANC authorization for that area (via whatever phone app you normally use), you should get directions about what to do / links to websites you need to go to. Follow those directions and be prepared to waaaaiiiitttt!

My local class D airport doesn't have LAANC available (but it does have the "grid" that shows what altitudes you can fly), so I applied for an authorization. It ended up allowing me to fly up to the height stated in the "grid" as long as I coordinated with the tower. ??? I could do that *before* the auth, without contacting the tower! But, it also allowed me to coordinate with the tower to fly in the "zero" altitude areas, and the tower guys were aware of who I was when I called to coordinate a flight.

That was a couple of years ago, and I haven't applied again, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks WildDoktor,

I kinda figured as much, I told my clients at least 2 months, I guess I was not far off! The project will be done by then.

Thanks for the help....

.... time to get my 30 foot pole camera rig out!

Cheers,

CJS

It is my understanding that it depends on the airport and the amount of air traffic at that airport. I recently got authorization at McClellan in Sacramento, it was an Air Force base but now private. Not much traffic so the clearance came fairly quickly.

Reactions: Recoveryone
It is my understanding that it depends on the airport and the amount of air traffic at that airport. I recently got authorization at McClellan in Sacramento, it was an Air Force base but now private. Not much traffic so the clearance came fairly quickly.
Cool, I'm actually just up in Folsom :)
How long did it take and where did you find the info on how to proceed with an authorization request?

Thx,
CJS

I used AirBus and LAANC and just took a few days. This authorization was close to the end of the runway so I was surprised that I got so quickly.

Now if you are flying a DJI drone you will also need to get them to authorize the flight by dropping their geo fence.

Other than that, just fly your mission and stay within the guidelines your authorization has given you.

Good luck

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I have a COA for Class D airspace in two different cities, one of the conditions of my COA is that I must call the tower before and after UAS operations.

Reactions: WildDoktor
I had a scheduled public evening event that was in controlled airspace but three miles from the airport. No LAANC available. I applied to FAA for waiver with all the mitigation etc and waited. And waited. Eventually a local pilot knew that I was waiting and he arranged for a conversation with the tower manager. The tower manager was most helpful. He asked about the location time max altitude (150) and duration. He authorized the operation and approved the event. He then thanked me for supplying the coverage of the event. A week AFTER the event the waiver for my flight for the next two years finally arrived. I do have a part 107. This did occur when it seemed that 107 pilots were NOT to be communicating with ATC. The flight was conducted with all expected safety measures in compliance with the eventual waiver. So Authorization may work and the tower folks were wonderful to work with. Good luck and stay safe

I used Drone Zone this spring to get authorization to fly 3,000 feet from the end of the runway at Detroit City Airport. They have LAANC, but this was in a 0 area on the grid. I asked for 50 feet to photograph the demolition of a building that was about that height. It took only a few days, and they gave me 100 feet. One condition was calling the tower before flying, and they asked me to call back when I was done. BUT, even if you get this approval, keep watching out for traffic. I had one guy come in at maybe 60 or 70', but I saw him in plenty of time.

I have a COA for Class D airspace in two different cities, one of the conditions of my COA is that I must call the tower before and after UAS operations.

Are you contacting the tower via radio or phone?

When I called Stockton tower on the phone the first thing they asked is if I have a radio. I confirmed I do and was told to use it for contact. I have also been told by others that some controllers don't want drone pilots contacting them via our radios.

I used Drone Zone this spring to get authorization to fly 3,000 feet from the end of the runway at Detroit City Airport. They have LAANC, but this was in a 0 area on the grid. I asked for 50 feet to photograph the demolition of a building that was about that height. It took only a few days, and they gave me 100 feet. One condition was calling the tower before flying, and they asked me to call back when I was done. BUT, even if you get this approval, keep watching out for traffic. I had one guy come in at maybe 60 or 70', but I saw him in plenty of time.
My COA only gave the phone number of the tower, and they were happy to talk on the phone. (I have a radio scanner only, cannot transmit.) Whichever way you contact them, keep it short and don't chit-chat.

Are you contacting the tower via radio or phone?

When I called Stockton tower on the phone the first thing they asked is if I have a radio. I confirmed I do and was told to use it for contact. I have also been told by others that some controllers don't want drone pilots contacting them via our radios.
In my COA it state I must contact the local ATC prior to all flight operations, it doesn't state how I need to contact them. I use phone

Reactions: AIA.AI
Whatever you do, don't piss off the controller, been there, done that, bad idea.
Also see if they there is a NOTAM posted for your flight.
If you are using a radio, make sure you have the right frequency.
If you aren't familiar with ATC communication protocol use the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donut