Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Who is S. Rose on Droners.io?

"Less wide open"? I don't quite understand what that means. I can assure you Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Houston are anything but wide open.
Yeah, but get just outside town and....Big Open Country! It's wonderful, beautiful, and filled with friendly country folk....where strangers wave as you drive by....locals talk to you like a friend when you stop for gas...locals driveing slow actually pull over on the shoulder and let you pass.

I may live in a congested urban metroplex, but just 45 minutes to the northeast, and I'm in the country, heading toward Abilene and the Big Country. You're in Austin? Lot's of big open country close by....Willow City Loop? Fredericksburg to Kerrville, down 16 toward Banderra then to Vanderpool and the Sisters.....Man I love it out there...The cities may be congested, but we don't have far to go to get...out there...

Yeah, but get just outside town and....Big Open Country! It's wonderful, beautiful, and filled with friendly country folk....where strangers wave as you drive by....locals talk to you like a friend when you stop for gas...locals driveing slow actually pull over on the shoulder and let you pass.

I may live in a congested urban metroplex, but just 45 minutes to the northeast, and I'm in the country, heading toward Abilene and the Big Country. You're in Austin? Lot's of big open country close by....Willow City Loop? Fredericksburg to Kerrville, down 16 toward Banderra then to Vanderpool and the Sisters.....Man I love it out there...The cities may be congested, but we don't have far to go to get...out there...
I totally agree with everything you said but I am speaking in terms of Dronebase specifically. Pretty much all of the work that I have done for them has been right off of major highways or in highly populated areas. My work in the construction company is also very close to populated areas because the type of work we do and development doesn't happen in the middle of nowhere and most of the flights recently have been in controlled airspace. The only flying I do in wide open areas is for fun.

Same here, but every couple months I get a rural property (acreage) to shoot. I was just taking the opportunity to crow about the beauty and "elbow room" we have so close to our cities. It's like having the best of both worlds. You have everything that the major metro areas offer while also having the wide open spaces just an easy drive away.

Reactions: adm_geomatics
Same here, but every couple months I get a rural property (acreage) to shoot. I was just taking the opportunity to crow about the beauty and "elbow room" we have so close to our cities. It's like having the best of both worlds. You have everything that the major metro areas offer while also having the wide open spaces just an easy drive away.
There's no doubt about that. Maybe that's the reason so many people are moving here, LOL. I do like the part that you bring up about the friendliness. I know there's bad apples in Texas but isn't that true of everywhere? I've been all over the United States and having someone actually look you in the eyes and say hi is not as commonplace as you would think it is.

Don’t anyone forget the ***10%***! PrecisionHawk/Droners.io takes off the top no matter the bid! Rock bottom prices skimmed even further. Thumbtack does similar work, though kinda apples to oranges there… I’ve gotten into the habit of charging clients an extra fee when they hire me through one of those platforms, a fee that’s made obvious. I do this not just to cover the added cost to me, but also with a small hope it will incentivize them and others to not use those platforms and contact me directly next time.

S. Rose is indeed Scott Rose of DroneVideos.com
Dont forget that by the end of the year, droners.io issue a 1099 form and you will need to pay tax for this money you earned!
so after all this you will get almost nothing!

I am arriving here late, but finding that the support folks at Dronebase clearly deal with a lot of interesting people because nothing else could explain their real condescending tone. Not impressed so far.

real condescending tone? I have not noticed that. They have been very understanding and kind for me.
They even paid 30.00 gas money for a mission I could not complete.

real condescending tone? I have not noticed that. They have been very understanding and kind for me.
They even paid 30.00 gas money for a mission I could not complete.
Yes. Your mileage may vary.

I think the way that they have configured their automation software and associated notifications strikes the wrong tone, so I can definitely see where the comment is coming from. The main issue is that anyone with a new drone and a tiny bit of skill can get jobs through DB (ask me how I know), so they very much cater to the noobs, who may sometimes need a "heavy-handed" approach.

I think the way that they have configured their automation software and associated notifications strikes the wrong tone, so I can definitely see where the comment is coming from. The main issue is that anyone with a new drone and a tiny bit of skill can get jobs through DB (ask me how I know), so they very much cater to the noobs, who may sometimes need a "heavy-handed" approach.
Lots of reasons why it does not work well. For example, "just show up onsite and no need to check in", when I know darn well the security guard won't even let you through the gate at a few of these customer sites.

what kinds of jobs are people getting through DB? CRE? Mapping? Other?

Lots of reasons why it does not work well. For example, "just show up onsite and no need to check in", when I know darn well the security guard won't even let you through the gate at a few of these customer sites.
I agree with your first mention about the condescending flavor of how they do thins but I also agree with @spamgnome that they are strict for a reason and they have a system that pilots need to adapt to. We have never had a problem with site access as it is our responsibility as the PIC's to make sure we have the necessary access and permissions. They always supply site contact information. What I have had trouble with a few times is the mission not really capturing what the client wanted. This is another situation where the pilot should be helpful and at least provide a double-check and mention potential deficiencies or if you have spoken with someone on site that wants something a little different or something in addition that we should note it and let DB know. This has helped form a good relationships with our contacts. They have never paid me specifically for gas but I have been able to negotiate on quick hitters that may be out of my area of interest or if the payout was just too low in the first case and the mission continues to pop up because noone will take it. I see that twice and I give them my best offer.

Roof and pavement inspection orthos and ground level. Lots of that going on.
I already fly full-time in construction so they have me on the track for construction and commercial Real Estate. I can't stand single family. Once they saw what I was providing they started sending a lot more requests.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I already fly full-time in construction so they have me on the track for construction and commercial Real Estate. I can't stand single family. Once they saw what I was providing they started sending a lot more requests.
Agreed. I noticed I am getting tons of jobs all the sudden on dronebase and it was cold for the first six months I was on there. Now, it's crazy busy.

Agreed. I noticed I am getting tons of jobs all the sudden on dronebase and it was cold for the first six months I was on there. Now, it's crazy busy.
Once I got the SiteTech and DroneDeploy badges is when it picked up for me. I try to schedule my regular routes around any DB flights that come up. Since my day job has gotten busier I end up declining a bunch that aren't efficient to cover so I hope that doesn't count against me. Where are you based?

I never decline I just don't accept. I don't think it counts against you. Have you ever seen a job NOT get taken?
A DroneDeploy badge from DB? Or did you mean the badges from DroneDeploy?

I never decline I just don't accept. I don't think it counts against you. Have you ever seen a job NOT get taken?
A DroneDeploy badge from DB? Or did you mean the badges from DroneDeploy?
I know that they have jobs occasionally slip through because I have seen the date due change. Like I said before though I usually contact them if I see it pop up a couple of times. The badge is for missions that require DroneDeploy for flight and uploading of the assets. DroneDeploy contracts Dronebase. We use DroneDeploy for our company so that was a no-brainer.

Interesting. What type of jobs do you get from DD?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku