Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Why a waiver for this?

Well if you guys really wanna know "why" anything, you don't have to look far. Yesterday after talking to you guys I created an account for a COA and the website was moving at 1990 speed. After about 20 minutes just to input basic information it got approved but trying to log in since has not been successful and the site has been sporadically crashing.

Thanks. Between all these replies I'm starting to paint a picture here. I've been out of government for 15 years and it's (choke) comforting to see that nothing has changed.

And they're worried about us?

Bing go, you catch on quick.

Ok, so you call say San Jose, CA tower, ask them for permission to fly up to 400 feet one mile south of runway 29. The controller say, sure, go ahead. You hit an aircraft on approach to 29. Controller forgot he ever talked to you, you are in big trouble.

Take the time and do it right. First of all they would never give you a waiver for the above flight. A waiver is for your protection and if you are flying in a heavy traffic area I would file a NOTAMS for the days and times you will be flying, and don't forget to close it when you are finished flying.

In fairness to the FAA, the addition of unmanned commercial air operations to their duties and responsibilities has been a sizable load. And I think it's fair to say that Congress's addition to their operating budget has been virtually zilch.

Rolling out the new LAANC program has gone a long way toward streamlining commercial flight authorizations in controlled airspace. But LAANC doesn't include fields with contracted (i.e., non-FAA) towers and military fields. It should be reasonable to expect that an application for a Part 107.41 Wide Area Airspace Authorization to operate in "military airspace" will take longer since we're dealing with two different government agencies (FAA and DoD). But, if we do our homework ahead of time, it all turns out in the end. (My last application took 124 days to process; but was, indeed, eventually approved.)

The FAA has even initiated a series of webinars covering the subject of waivers and authorizations for sUAS operators. (The next one will be a big one - BVLOS waivers - and I, for one, am looking forward to attending.)

We are all aware that things are rather chaotic at present - after all, commercial unmanned flight in the NAS is in its infancy (as was manned flight just a century ago.) But I'm confident that we'll see our integration into the NAS as full partners in far less time than it took the CAA/FAA to establish a smooth functioning system back then (especially if Congress eventually gives them the budget and staff they require.)

ATC is the network of controlled airspace you see on the WAC, Sectional, and IFR charts. Controlled airspace, per say, exists for safety to protect IFR traffic FROM VFR traffic ( which for this purpose, I will include from recreational and Part 107 drones).

The FAA made it confusing, even to us, old, not-bold pilots, years ago by removing the term ATA, which stood for Airport Traffic Area, meaning there is a tower where that staff can look out the window and see and therefore control by radio or light signal, the aircraft operating or intending to operate at its designated traffic area.

ATC hands off arriving IFR traffic to the tower and the tower authorizes the aircraft and other vehicles to land and/or operate on the airport property. Departing aircraft including IFR get permission to move around the airport surface area and get permission to take-off. Once they are off the ground, the tower hands them off to ATC for departure and enroute flight in controlled AIRSPACE.

Airports are not controlled airspace to keep it simple. Towers are not ATC. ATC is not control towers. So they both exist on separate plains (excuse the pun).

You need a WAIVER to mix it up in ATC airspace with the big boys that are IFR (good luck) and then PERMISSION from the operating airport control tower or NOTIFY the airport manager at an airport or heliport without a tower.

You need a WAIVER to mix it up in ATC airspace with the big boys that are IFR (good luck) and then PERMISSION from the operating airport control tower or NOTIFY the airport manager at an airport or heliport without a tower.

True, but not quite complete.

Airport Controlled Airspace is first and foremost a "transition zone" where aircraft routinely fly below the normal 500' minimum altitude as they "transition" to/from the airport. (The airport may or may not have a published instrument approach procedure.)

You'll need a LAANC clearance or Certificate of Authorization to fly in Controlled Airspace below the ceiling limitations published by the FAA in the UASFM - under VFR conditions during daylight hours. A waiver is required if you want to fly at altitudes above the published ceiling and/or at night (good luck, indeed) with IFR and SVFR or VFR manned traffic.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
"You need a WAIVER to mix it up in ATC airspace with the big boys that are IFR (good luck) and then PERMISSION from the operating airport control tower or NOTIFY the airport manager at an airport or heliport without a tower."

Are you sure you explained this correctly? A remote pilot needs AUTHORIZATION to fly in controlled airspace, either (1) via LAANC or (2) via the DroneZone portal. No need to contact any towers, it's included in the authorization process. Only hobby pilots need to call a control tower directly, but since this is a commercial drone forum I'm assuming we are all referring to part 107 operations.
I fly in class B airspace regularly via LAANC. Authorization is a one step process via Skyward or AirMap.

I just received authorization to exceed the FAM GRID 100 feet limit I'm working in to 250 feet overnight, via LAANC. NO control tower phone calls are required, those guys are busy enough.

Attachments

• LAANC authorization.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 8
"You need a WAIVER to mix it up in ATC airspace with the big boys that are IFR (good luck) and then PERMISSION from the operating airport control tower or NOTIFY the airport manager at an airport or heliport without a tower."

Are you sure you explained this correctly? A remote pilot needs AUTHORIZATION to fly in controlled airspace, either (1) via LAANC or (2) via the DroneZone portal. No need to contact any towers, it's included in the authorization process. Only hobby pilots need to call a control tower directly, but since this is a commercial drone forum I'm assuming we are all referring to part 107 operations.
I fly in class B airspace regularly via LAANC. Authorization is a one step process via Skyward or AirMap.

I just received authorization to exceed the FAM GRID 100 feet limit I'm working in to 250 feet overnight, via LAANC. NO control tower phone calls are required, those guys are busy enough.

I'm surprised that the LAANC system can/will authorize an altitude above the grid ceiling published in the UASFM. But you definitely seem to have it in writing. Very cool!

As to the "overnight", I don't see that. Your authorization is for one day (Sunday, Aug 26) from 0800 (8a.m.) to 1100 (11a.m.) Furthermore, during the FAA's Part 107.29 Waiver, Part 1 webinar (
) it was expressly stated that 107.29 waivers could not be combined with LAANC authorizations for night operations in controlled airspace. (see User 8's question at 15:25 in the video) For a combined night/airspace authorization, the FAA is saying a new combined waiver must be sought and received.

I'm surprised that the LAANC system can/will authorize an altitude above the grid ceiling published in the UASFM. But you definitely seem to have it in writing. Very cool!

As to the "overnight", I don't see that. Your authorization is for one day (Sunday, Aug 26) from 0800 (8a.m.) to 1100 (11a.m.) Furthermore, during the FAA's Part 107.29 Waiver, Part 1 webinar (
) it was expressly stated that 107.29 waivers could not be combined with LAANC authorizations for night operations in controlled airspace. (see User 8's question at 15:25 in the video) For a combined night/airspace authorization, the FAA is saying a new combined waiver must be sought and received.

You misread, I received the authorization "overnight" ....it is not a night waiver . BTW I received a phone call from ATC wanting some additional information.

You misread, I received the authorization "overnight" ....it is not a night waiver . BTW I received a phone call from ATC wanting some additional information.
Got it. You meant to say "[you] received authorization overnight to exceed the FAM GRID 100 feet limit [you're] working in to 250 feet." (Still cool.) :)

The Tucson ATC has never been "drone" friendly, and I have now submitted two requests in LAANC for zero grid flights, two weeks in advance, through Skyward, and both were canceled the night before due to no response from ATC. I have also had requests for small areas at specific locations denied pre-LAANC, although one that was the closest to the airport was approved.

The adjacent/overlapping airspace of Davis-Monthan Air Base has been much easier to work with, and they are not in LAANC or the Facility Map. I originally received a Wide Area Airspace Authorization for 100'. Then I got a recurring quarterly mapping job and submitted an AA request for 200' for just that specific location. In the meantime my original AA was expiring so I submitted for a renewal, and before that was addressed the earlier 200' request resulted in a new Wide Area Authorization for 400', not just the specific location requested! Of course, there is a lot of airspace excluded but it was enough to cover a new weekly job at the Amazon Fulfillment Center construction site.

FAA Form 7711-1 2017-P107-WSA-26211 DMA Night.jpg

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I'm surprised that the LAANC system can/will authorize an altitude above the grid ceiling published in the UASFM.

It has always been possible to ask for and receive authorization beyond the limits of the FM. It's also possible that they will deny them and even deny them for heights within the grid limit in cases where they have something going on. The limits have always been a general guideline and not "the rule".

The Tucson ATC has never been "drone" friendly, and I have now submitted two requests in LAANC for zero grid flights, two weeks in advance, through Skyward, and both were canceled the night before due to no response from ATC. I have also had requests for small areas at specific locations denied pre-LAANC, although one that was the closest to the airport was approved.

The adjacent/overlapping airspace of Davis-Monthan Air Base has been much easier to work with, and they are not in LAANC or the Facility Map. I originally received a Wide Area Airspace Authorization for 100'. Then I got a recurring quarterly mapping job and submitted an AA request for 200' for just that specific location. In the meantime my original AA was expiring so I submitted for a renewal, and before that was addressed the earlier 200' request resulted in a new Wide Area Authorization for 400', not just the specific location requested! Of course, there is a lot of airspace excluded but it was enough to cover a new weekly job at the Amazon Fulfillment Center construction site.

View attachment 788
Sky Harbor is easy to work with......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy