Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Why are my photos bad?

401 Feet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Seeking help here. My employer approached me about taking a weeklong training and then getting my 107. Thought drones were cool and since they approached me, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Since attending the class, I study and passed my 107. Did a few easy jobs for my work but really saw a chance to take this farther on my own. Met a few people who have approached me about doing some mapping and will have some documentation photos for my employer soon, once a building project is completed. With all this being said, I have a mavic pro I've really been working with to improve my angles and colors in the photos and videos I'm taking. I know the mavic pro is not the latest and greatest but I've seen some really impressive video and photos that burst with color. I'm pleased with the ease of use of the mavic pro but can't seem to get the most out of the photo ability of this drone. I am versed in photography and camera settings from DSLR and also underwater photos. (Much different environments, I know) so I know what the settings do, and have watched numerous tutorials on line about good settings for the MP but my results are less than stellar. Usually too dark when cloudy and too white when sunny. I do adjust each flight based on conditions and even with editing I can't get the colors to pop like I have seen online. I'm editing with lightroom, free version. Is there something better to try for free that is as easy as lightroom or is my issue better fine tuning of the settings? I don't want to commit to anything software wise before I find out if I like it. Any help and positive input would help greatly. Don't want to commit to any work before I'm confident in my ability top be top quality. Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Seeking help here. My employer approached me about taking a weeklong training and then getting my 107. Thought drones were cool and since they approached me, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. Since attending the class, I study and passed my 107. Did a few easy jobs for my work but really saw a chance to take this farther on my own. Met a few people who have approached me about doing some mapping and will have some documentation photos for my employer soon, once a building project is completed. With all this being said, I have a mavic pro I've really been working with to improve my angles and colors in the photos and videos I'm taking. I know the mavic pro is not the latest and greatest but I've seen some really impressive video and photos that burst with color. I'm pleased with the ease of use of the mavic pro but can't seem to get the most out of the photo ability of this drone. I am versed in photography and camera settings from DSLR and also underwater photos. (Much different environments, I know) so I know what the settings do, and have watched numerous tutorials on line about good settings for the MP but my results are less than stellar. Usually too dark when cloudy and too white when sunny. I do adjust each flight based on conditions and even with editing I can't get the colors to pop like I have seen online. I'm editing with lightroom, free version. Is there something better to try for free that is as easy as lightroom or is my issue better fine tuning of the settings? I don't want to commit to anything software wise before I find out if I like it. Any help and positive input would help greatly. Don't want to commit to any work before I'm confident in my ability top be top quality. Thanks in advance

Can you post a shot?

Sure, here are a few that have been edited to the next of my ability. The boat was too bright to begin start and the other was too dark. Just expect more colors to pop especially in the house shot over the field and the trees around the building, as we were at peak foliage this weekend in my area. Also, I do have ND filters and tried them to begin but stopped using them however. My thinking was it was busy one more thing for me to correct for the camera settings when I'm trying to figure it out in the first place. LRM_EXPORT_77064979533254_20181102_114221142.jpegLRM_EXPORT_237966894558432_20181104_184243541.jpegdji1541190335310.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pictures ... but:
They all seem not very sharp, I am convinced MP can normally do better.
Do you remember to focus?
Do you use a reasonable shutter speed?
I put your middle photo into DarkTable and what caught my eye was the histogram. I normally spread it out, so the whole dynamic range is used. The attached example is not very good, as I only have your JPEG version of the photo.
Another point you mention, is the use of ND filter. I normally only use ND filter to make shutter speed twice the frame rate, without setting the aperture to a too high value. However, ND might also be useful when you want to reduce depth of field for both photo and video.
LRM_EXPORT_237966894558432_20181104_184243541.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. From an online tutorial I viewed several on toms tech they stated to have the mountains of your histogram in the middle of your graph. So your review of the photo would be spot on because that is what I was aiming for. I will try to spread it out and see how that goes.
As far as the nd filters go, I was feeling like it was just another variable to adjust and overcome. I will work on them more and try to tune them up but if anyone finds some better tutorials on settings it would be appreciated if you could reply with the link.
It seems like it should not be as hard as underwater photography but I find it tougher. I think because of the distance involved in order to capture the colors. Kind of the opposite as underwater.

Last edited:
Here are the photos (or at least some taken at the same time) in what I believe to be their original format. Again, not pleased with the brightness and sharpness of the photos. Any breakdown toy can give on these would be appreciatedorg_fb19c1783274e1d2_1541368834000.jpegorg_f6f82ac254d00332_1541368818000.jpeg

Attachments

• org_9c2c5e8c97974339_1541368800000.jpeg
    org_9c2c5e8c97974339_1541368800000.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 7
Where are you getting these photos from? 39 kb is definitely not an original JPG or DNG/RAW photo. These all look like low rez thumbnails cached on your mobile device. Can you grab an original from the MP SD card and upload that? It should be about 8 mb for a JPG and 10-11 for a RAW/DNG (if you were shooting DNG).

Dear "401 Feet",
most of us are glad to help, but your entries approaches trolling. I asked you for an original image and you gave me down scaled image with no EXIF data, thus I have no idea how the photo is taken and no way of giving you any tips.
May I suggest that you read some articles about photography in general, and additional exercise taking photos with the MP on the ground. Not taking off with the MP, but just taking pictures with it, gives you amber time to get used to the adjustments and test out the result.
For widest possible post processing capabilities, use RAW format (guess it is .DNG format on the MP).
A last point: I prefer to converse with people having a more sensible name than "401 Feet". I can understand where you got it from, but it is not very convenient.
Kind regards
Carl Friis-Hansen

Sure, here are a few that have been edited to the next of my ability. The boat was too bright to begin start and the other was too dark. I do have ND filters and tried them to begin but stopped using them however. My thinking was it was busy one more thing for me to correct for the camera settings when I'm trying to figure it out in the first place.
That shot with the boat was never going to be very special because of the lighting.
You are shooting towards the sun and half of the image is a bright overcast sky - much brighter than the foreground.
The composition is pretty uninspiring too.
I get great shots by concentrating on the lighting and much of the time I try to shoot with the sun more or less behind the drone so it's lighting the subject and the sky and I'd avoid leaving so much of the image to a bright sky.
Here's an example:
DJI_0761aa-X2.jpg

I do have ND filters and tried them to begin but stopped using them however. My thinking was it was busy one more thing for me to correct for the camera settings when I'm trying to figure it out in the first place.
Unless you have a particular reason to want use slower shutter speeds, ND filters have no place in drone still photography.

Reactions: Teelions
All,
I appreciate the input on the photos and the info on the boat shot. The ship photo from above is what I strive to achieve one day! It's absolutely amazing!! I will definitely keep in mind about the sunlight into the lens. I'm not a professional photographer by any means but the farthest thing from a troller. I have been a major online contributor to an outdoor forum, like this one, for many years and came here looking for help, as I have helped many others with outdoor type questions. That being said I would like to stay on topic as I do know how these forums can de-rail but my name should have zero to do with my question. I selected my name based on the fact that I push the limit in all things that I do to ensure that the job is completed to the best of my ability and that I went to the limit and worked hard to ensure my greatest effort was put into the job. That being said, since I never met the commenter or anyone else here, I highly doubt the poster knew why I have my name.
Additionally, I do appreciate people trying to analyze my pictures and yes I did post the pictures in the wrong format and for that I apologize. I went to my photo app and thought i selected the pictures that were labeled "original". I'm learning this forum and seeking help at the same time. I'm a new member and new to this drone photography, I clearly have given my background and asked for help. Trolling with cruddy pictures that were too dark or too bright, please!
If we could just stay on topic and try to assist me and others who are learning this great new technology. I think I should at least get some credit for saying, hey I'm having an issue, not doing something very well and need help. All to often people will post their successes and not their failures, when we can all learn from others mistakes.
Thanks to all who have been willing to help and when I figure out how to get up the raw images I will get them up!

Last edited:
Hi 401 Feet,
I was anxious to help, but had just been speaking to a bad customer, really sorry for my hard tone.
Regarding the raw DNG images. They may or may not be on your SD card. It depends of your settings in the DJI Go application. The DNG format is not a must, in particular not if your picture is perfectly exposed to begin with. Where DNG helps the most, is if the dark is too dark or too bright. In your particular case it looked like the dark was not dark enough, so in the picture I sent back, with all the houses, there was room to widen the histogram in the dark end, and thereby giving it a little more contrast. It is all a matter of taste of cause.
Looking forward to see one of your shots from the SD card :)

Last edited:
Is it possible the OP is pulling the Low Res images from the device as opposed to the SD card images?

@401 Feet as you have already noticed this group takes the industry VERY serious and are quick to condemn someone who is willingly (and bragging about it) to bust the regulations. Additional regulations cause great grief and financial hardships. This is our bread & butter and we don't need it getting any tougher to make a living.

Allen

Good gravy my friends!!! Where did i brag that i broke rules? I thought I explained this already. I'm just saying I work hard at what I do and want the best out of what I do. (Kind of like going the extra mile) In no way shape or form did I imply that I'm condoning breaking the rules or do I break any while flying. I see what you contribute to this forum and have learned from you already but can we please move on from this name thing? It seemed like it was water under under the bridge with me and the poster of the comment. If you know of a way to change my name to something like 399 feet or 399 feet 8 inches or whatever you guys see fit, I will gladly do so. I think I take safety and this industry safely as I have taken upon myself to learn as much as possible in order to be well informed and professional. Again, the reason I posted this in the first place. No offense to anyone and none taken by anyone for i'm just looking for help.

Last edited:
Good gravy my friends!!! Where did i brag that i broke rules? I thought I explained this already. I'm just saying I work hard at what I do and want the best out of what I do. (Kind of like going the extra mile) In no way shape or form did I imply that I'm condoning breaking the rules or do I break any while flying. I see what you contribute to this forum and have learned from you already but can we please move on from this name thing? It seemed like it was water under under the bridge with me and the poster of the comment. If you know of a way to change my name to something like 399 feet of 399 feet 8 inches or whatever you guys see fit,I will gladly do so. I think I take safety and this industry safely as I have taken upon myself to learn as much as possible in order to be well informed and professional. Again, the reason I posted this in the first place. No offense to anyone and none taken by anyone for i'm just looking for help.

Water under the bridge and well said. *Group Hug*

That would be correct. I'm pulling these from the dji app and they are labeled original. I'm away for extended work until at least tonight possibly through tomorrow but at first chance I will get those up directly from the SD card. Again, not really well versed in the backend of these drones. I simply thought that if the file said original then it was the file as taken by the camera. Thanks cle all of the patience and insight.

That would be correct. I'm pulling these from the dji app and they are labeled original. I'm away for extended work until at least tonight possibly through tomorrow but at first chance I will get those up directly from the SD card. Again, not really well versed in the backend of these drones. I simply thought that if the file said original then it was the file as taken by the camera. Thanks cle all of the patience and insight.

The DEVICE saves a Low Resolution "copy" of the High Resolution file on your SD card. It would take a LOT of signal to transfer each image over the air to your display device. I consider the "Device Copy" to be a last resort or even for forensic use.

Hi all,

Are you shooting in Dlog or jpg. ?

I am as critical of rule breakers as anyone but c'mon guys give him a break - he came here for help!

Sounds like the issue has a lot to do with the source of the pictures that were provided. But my first thought was wondering if you use the histogram in the app as you are taking the picture. If you can't change the settings to get a good histogram then try shooting from a different angle - with the sun more behind you.

I am pretty new to this too but finding that trying to get pictures in the middle of a clear sunny day is very challenging. I have gotten really good results lately by shooting during the Blue and Golden hours. Not always convenient or logisticaly possible depending on the subject but much easier to get great results.

For me I always shoot in RAW and use AEB for every image I create. As for the aesthetics that is something that comes with time. The images above have been recognised as low rez so hopefully 401 can take that and make changes. However, I think this post illustrates something really important for those of us on the commercial side of these craft, that is how much knowledge we must possess to get the image the customer wants. Be it flying the aircraft, framing and making images, post processing etc. We should all remember our learning process, and charge the customer on the basis of what we know and what we can achieve, not how much does it cost to throw a drone in the air and press the shutter button. Without our hard work learning our trade how can we get the first class results all customers want?
401 you will make it happen , and coming to this place will help you learn others others as I did as a pro photographer. One day everything will click into place.

Reactions: Rudder Bug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann