Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Why is the real estate industry so chintzy?

That is sort of why I wonder if the for sale by owner crowd might be interesting to look at.
They are going against big relators with big marketing budgets.
I also wonder about some of the home listing sites, is there avenue with someone like trulia.

Years ago I knew a guy who basically made a living going around and photographing cars for a publication that sold owner vehicles
Instead of relying on the seller to provide inconsistent photos, they would send a guy around to do the photos
I did a job recently for a couple selling about 30 acres and their home. They wanted it in the Fall as they were going to list after Jan. 1. They wanted to give the realtor a great video to promote their property. They paid a nice sum for it and were very happy to have it (I had to edit it once to add in the sign as I think they wanted it more for keep sake memories than the realtor). Currently it is the banner video on my website.

One thing I tell realtors is to offer my services as an add-on. And to tell the client they don't pay unless they sell their home. I charge a premium (to cover the pay later option) and they don't mind it so much as they just got a check for their home.

Haha funny, even NZ the market is exactly the same!! So many unlicensed pilots willing to do it for $100. Good luck building a sustainable business. My beef is also they always want the blue sky background. Not wasting the best day of the week on a couple of $100 invoices lol.

Commercial, that's where it's at and that's all about networking

Here is my beef about some "cheap realtors". Let's take your numbers, 1.5% of $300,000 home, $4,500.00 of personal commission earned.
So how much of this is fixed and variable income for the listed property?
Again this will vary from realtor to realtor, so let's say 38% on taxes, expenses, and unknowns = $1,710.00 leaving $2,790.00 in their pocket.
How much actual time is a realtor spending on your property, another variable, lets say 25 hours, that's $103.60 per hour.
And that's on a $300,000 house at 1.5% earned commission.
Point is, I don't think the average realtor looks at the numbers this way.
It's also a tax write off to hire an aerial pilot. So in reality they can afford to hire us!:rolleyes:

Ok. I have to chime in. As you did these numbers you left out something... remember realtors don’t sell every house they list. So you have to take in to account that loss of time as well. I am a land surveyor and we got out of the residential business years ago because other surveyors were willing to do the work cheap. That is your best bet. For anyone looking to make real money flying your drone look for surveyors wanting to get in to the close range photogrammetry business without the hassle of drone licensing. You will never win the realtor argument. They are advocating for cheap prices not for themselves but so they can tell their customers what a good job they did by keeping costs down. It is one of their duties.

Reactions: BigAl07
Ok. I have to chime in. As you did these numbers you left out something... remember realtors don’t sell every house they list. So you have to take in to account that loss of time as well. I am a land surveyor and we got out of the residential business years ago because other surveyors were willing to do the work cheap. That is your best bet. For anyone looking to make real money flying your drone look for surveyors wanting to get in to the close range photogrammetry business without the hassle of drone licensing. You will never win the realtor argument. They are advocating for cheap prices not for themselves but so they can tell their customers what a good job they did by keeping costs down. It is one of their duties.
Ouch, I forgot about no productive results. :oops:

Because of all the issues already covered, the best opportunities are in the market over $500k, and really over $750k. Greater revenue for agent, more to spend. Also, target Top Selling agents. They are at the top for a reason. They better understand the business model of success. Bottom line is that it is not the best market for fair & reasonable profit, as evidenced by all of the posts not only here, but also on the Real Estate forum. Also interesting is that is seems to be the same in other countries as well. Here in the north part of the country, we also have a short window of opportunity. Most realtors want aerials when the leaves and grass are green, and flowers are blooming......not when there are no leaves, no green, no bloom, snow and ice on lakes and ponds. Tough market.

I try and cover my costs wherever I go.

1. Insurance
2. Mileage - Addtl due to 110v availability for battery recharge from my diesel truck (4 batteries for P4A)
3. Maint. Costs/hr (my own number)
4. My time.

Short trips with just a few photos; quick in/out; special deals exist.

Every business is looking for a way to get the most for almost nothing.
To be successful you have to establish yourself as a professional and deliver! I'm 77 years old and have declined many multi-thousands of dollars jobs as I built a reputation as a could-do professional who could and would deliver! If you needed brain surgery would you look for the cheapest price or best neurosurgeon. Establish yourself as the best!

Reactions: Mike Nevins
For perspective, my realtor bought his own drone so he could take his own aerial shots and save the money on the 10 or so luxury properties he markets a year.
That's certainly an option available to real estate brokers/agents. However, if they do that they're taking time away from marketing or other promotional activities they could be doing which might pay off with many more dollars than they're saving by doing their own videos and photos. Just my $0.02.

That's certainly an option available to real estate brokers/agents. However, if they do that they're taking time away from marketing or other promotional activities they could be doing which might pay off with many more dollars than they're saving by doing their own videos and photos. Just my $0.02.

BINGO! I tell them, "Let me do what I do great (help you sell more homes) and this frees you up to do what you do great... Selling more homes!"

Reactions: Outta Control
As a professional architectural photographer for more years than I want to admit, there are many things that never change. Human nature is one of them. One can argue that realtors are not human, but that is a different discussion.

There are only two relevant factors - photography has an abnormal number of practitioners who will work for nothing, and realtors live in a feast-or-famine world. The successful realtors (very small percentage) think they're geniuses and likewise know who will give it away for free. The less-successful can only afford free (or nearly free).

Unfortunately, the wannabe photographers leave piles of money on the table, and wannabe realtors are happy to rake it back. This is called "honor among thieves."

As a professional architectural photographer for more years than I want to admit, there are many things that never change. Human nature is one of them. One can argue that realtors are not human, but that is a different discussion.

There are only two relevant factors - photography has an abnormal number of practitioners who will work for nothing, and realtors live in a feast-or-famine world. The successful realtors (very small percentage) think they're geniuses and likewise know who will give it away for free. The less-successful can only afford free (or nearly free).

Unfortunately, the wannabe photographers leave piles of money on the table, and wannabe realtors are happy to rake it back. This is called "honor among thieves."

That's one of the best "Why" posts to date. Very well said sir.

It's a matter of being a business. The goal is to make money ... EVERYTHING else is secondary. The vast emphasis or time spent by the business owner should be on maximizing gross profits, not on expenses. Sell a lot of high-margin products. I've done business consulting, and this is fundamental to success. Like you say, though, it's human nature. It's needs to be drummed into their heads.

EDIT: Time and effort should be put on optimizing/maximizing pricing and selling as many as you can (volume). If you can't think of anything else to do, go fly your drone. Ha ha!

Last edited:
Realtors are very cheap as someone else noted. The money comes out of their pockets. Many realtors in my area bought drones before the 107 rules went into effect and ignore the fact that their using them now for commercial purposes is illegal. No enforcement by the FAA leads to widespread ignoring of the laws.

Reactions: Delta Blue
I believe most of the replies have been about individual realtors but aren't most associated with an agency? Has anyone tried (or is it possible) to create a contract with an agency to do all or a percent of their aerial media?

I believe most of the replies have been about individual realtors but aren't most associated with an agency? Has anyone tried (or is it possible) to create a contract with an agency to do all or a percent of their aerial media?
The answer is yes, I looked into that, the problem was negotiating what my fee should be per property. They looked at it as, we will try to keep you busy, thus giving me a lot less money per property. Not worth it!

I got my 107 in August 2017, I finally got my Phantom 4 this month. Real estate is one of the markets I hope to get into. Sounds like it could be a tough nut to crack. I get fliers in the mail from people wanting to sell my land for me and they have aerial photos on the cards. 6 months ago, they didn't. Have you tried talking to other drone pilots in the area to see what they charge? Call as a client. I hope to get started marketing my services soon.
I also got my 107 in August, will most likely get my first "pro" drone(not counting the toys I learned on) in a few weeks. Maybe get a spark in-between.

Been studying the commercial drone market, and it seems that people are getting paid because of 1) the authorizations they hold(I've seen countless requests in various drone forums/groups for anyone authorized in this/that area), 2) The drone capabilities, plus the PILOT's capabilities with editing/post(it's becoming clear that P4P and above is what you need except for low-level stuff), 3) your part 107, and finally 4) your actual flying skills. That is sadly last, because the higher-level drones make it pretty **** easy.

I'm just gonna grind $$$ for an Inspire 1 and save myself some nonsense lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905