Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Will the new FAA Remote ID rule make our current drones obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjc1103

Reaction score
The FAA just released the proposed Remote ID rule for drones, which when adopted has a three year window for implementation. That means our current drones will be obsolete and illegal to use after three years. Some people are saying that three years is too long, it should be implemented sooner, but there are thousands of very expensive drones that will have to be modified or replaced to make this work. You can't expect everyone to replace their equipment overnight, some commercial drones cost upwards of $10,000, so commercial operators are not going to like shortening the deadline. I'm just an independent contractor, and have two drones, a Phantom 4 Professional ($1600) and an Inspire 1 V2 with an Zenmuse X5 ($3000), but even this is prohibitively expensive for me to replace. There may be an opportunity for third parties to modify existing drones for Remote ID, but a drone is complicated, integrating a computer, radio, GPS navigation, and sensors into a small autonomous aircraft, and changing one thing could affect something else, so I don't see retrofitting an existing drone by anyone other than the original manufacturer, and only economically practical for the more expensive commercial drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC