Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Window Washing

mystic1906

Reaction score
Website
www.cynosureaerial.com
Just got contacted by a company that is looking to lease a drone that can do window washing for a high rise. They want me to fly the drone as they don't have anyone who is Part 107 certified and they don't sound like they want to have any of their current staff get certified.

Has anyone here ever done anything like this? I'm pretty confident after looking in to it that I can fly the drone. It's basically a Matrice sized drone with a water spout. I wouldn't even know how to price a service like that but I am compiling a list of questions with which to use to calculate how much liability, time, training, etc I will have to put in..

Dumb question - will you just be spraying water/cleaning solution on the window or will there be some type of contact with a cleaning utensil, i.e. sponge, squeegee or whatever ?

Sounds interesting! Ask if they have control over any public streets or sidewalks around the building too S you would have to avoid flying over people and cars.

There are a lot of different types of tethered drones for this, they are expensive! Lucid leases them for $3000/month. Ive seen some DIY tethered models, but they are not waterproof.

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Can you share a pix or model type of the drone. The window washers just let their ropes dangle on the busy sidewalk with nothing but a single yellow caution cone. You would have to block off sections of any walking area below

I'm pretty confident after looking in to it that I can fly the drone.

PRETTY confident? You'd better be VERY confident. Wind around high-risers can change direction very quickly and be unpredictable. Sounds like you will be flying in close proximity to large glass windows with a fairly large drone that can easily drop out of GPS mode due to half of the sky being blocked by the building. Personally, not something I would sign up for.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
Very interesting. Let us know what comes of this, we'd love to see the drone system being used. Very curious to know as well if it has an attachment, or is simply using a spray solution that would dry without streaks.

Reactions: mystic1906
First off WELCOME to the forum.

This project sounds VERY interesting but make sure you know exactly what you're getting into with such a project. Keep in mind RISK mitigation, FAA rules (flying over people/cars), and just your own moral compass. It sounds like it could have a LOT of risk and remember if you bust the Regs it's YOUR Part 107 on the line without the support of a Corp Entity to back you up. As a subcontractor you'll be carrying ALL the risks so make sure the compensation more than covers it. Also make sure you're FULLY insured.

Dumb question - will you just be spraying water/cleaning solution on the window or will there be some type of contact with a cleaning utensil, i.e. sponge, squeegee or whatever ?

Basically its sprays a cleaning solution that dissolves over time yeah. From what they are telling me I could have the drone 20ft away from the building but I haven't confirmed that yet.

PRETTY confident? You'd better be VERY confident. Wind around high-risers can change direction very quickly and be unpredictable. Sounds like you will be flying in close proximity to large glass windows with a fairly large drone that can easily drop out of GPS mode due to half of the sky being blocked by the building. Personally, not something I would sign up for.

Yeah I'm not risking my name, 107 license, or company if I'm not 100% comfortable with the drone and its ability to handle what they are asking me to do. It's a big difference flying the construction/commercial projects I'm accustomed to but they are telling me that the company (Lucid) that produces the drone has a training program. Not going to pass up a lucrative business opportunity out of fear but I'm also a cautious pilot who believes in safety and planning first. The technology is here and someone will take it on if not me.

First off WELCOME to the forum.

This project sounds VERY interesting but make sure you know exactly what you're getting into with such a project. Keep in mind RISK mitigation, FAA rules (flying over people/cars), and just your own moral compass. It sounds like it could have a LOT of risk and remember if you bust the Regs it's YOUR Part 107 on the line without the support of a Corp Entity to back you up. As a subcontractor you'll be carrying ALL the risks so make sure the compensation more than covers it. Also make sure you're FULLY insured.

Thanks for the welcome @BigAl07

I have started to formulate all of my questions and concerns for our next conversation/meeting. If I go forward with it I'll be treating it the same as my construction projects - do the work on the weekends to minimize the risk to people and vehicles. I've already told them that it would involve blocking off streets around the buildings. Don't think they considered all of the safety issues. They were thinking it would be better than having people on the side of the building in scaffolding given the recent accidents and I agree in that regard but it's a whole different beast of issues operating a drone in close quarters. They are not pilots so they don't understand any of it. Just sounded cheaper, less risky, and cool to them.

Still a long way to go before any of this becomes a reality but I since this is a new thing I was looking for some input as to how to even formulate a pricing plan. Just thinking about the risk alone gave me pause and would definitely entail a significantly higher price than I currently charge.

If, and probably a big IF at this stage, I hope you have somebody take some video of it. Sounds like an interesting project.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for the welcome @BigAl07

I have started to formulate all of my questions and concerns for our next conversation/meeting. If I go forward with it I'll be treating it the same as my construction projects - do the work on the weekends to minimize the risk to people and vehicles. I've already told them that it would involve blocking off streets around the buildings. Don't think they considered all of the safety issues. They were thinking it would be better than having people on the side of the building in scaffolding given the recent accidents and I agree in that regard but it's a whole different beast of issues operating a drone in close quarters. They are not pilots so they don't understand any of it. Just sounded cheaper, less risky, and cool to them.

Still a long way to go before any of this becomes a reality but I since this is a new thing I was looking for some input as to how to even formulate a pricing plan. Just thinking about the risk alone gave me pause and would definitely entail a significantly higher price than I currently charge.
Has the concept been tested, thoroughly? (by the company).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku