Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Windows 11 installing idea is needed.

ben price

Reaction score
I am using the Dell Inspiron series, Which has a core i3 10th gen and only 120 GB SATA SSD. Now I am using win10, Is it ideal to install win11 on this device with 120GB SSD.

It's a new operating system from a company that has a track record of releasing a far from ideal version of their OS every other time. Windows 10, while not perfect, has been out for a relatively long time and unless there are specific features that you need from W11, I'd say stay on W10, at least until they do an inevitable Windows 11.1 update down the line that actually works.

Windows 11 is basically a Win10 core with updates shell (icons, etc), other than cosmetic and some menu changes, haven't noticed any compatibility or significant bugs.

It does have a TPM2 requirement, which a lot of existing hardware doesn't contain or provide... thus not updatable to Win11.

Does your system under Setting / Update, indicate your system meets minimal requirements for Win11? Many older hardware does not.

As far as hardware, personal opinion... an i3 and unspecified RAM & GPU would likely be subpar in performance & satisfaction. The 120GB SSD is minimal for Win10 & Win11 but also the easiest to upgrade.

If your system is meeting your needs, I'd stay with current setup.

Windows 11 is basically a Win10 core with updates shell (icons, etc), other than cosmetic and some menu changes, haven't noticed any compatibility or significant bugs.

It does have a TPM2 requirement, which a lot of existing hardware doesn't contain or provide... thus not updatable to Win11.

Does your system under Setting / Update, indicate your system meets minimal requirements for Win11? Many older hardware does not.

As far as hardware, personal opinion... an i3 and unspecified RAM & GPU would likely be subpar in performance & satisfaction. The 120GB SSD is minimal for Win10 & Win11 but also the easiest to upgrade.

If your system is meeting your needs, I'd stay with current setup.
Thanks for your informative suggestion.

I just purchased a Dell with Windows 11 and don't like Win 11 so far. It has crashed on me twice. I do love the SSD drive for its speed, but I have heard long term reliability it questionable with the SSD drives. I keep most of my data on a cloud and I have a 2TB external HD for backups. I also use Office 365 and it won't allow me to place the various 365 shortcuts on the desktop. I'm considering doing a refresh and installing Win10.

Reactions: GFields
I just purchased a Dell with Windows 11 and don't like Win 11 so far. It has crashed on me twice. I do love the SSD drive for its speed, but I have heard long term reliability it questionable with the SSD drives. I keep most of my data on a cloud and I have a 2TB external HD for backups. I also use Office 365 and it won't allow me to place the various 365 shortcuts on the desktop. I'm considering doing a refresh and installing Win10.
As with many MS OS, the initial releases aren't that stable in all hardware.
There have been many Win11 Updates, some almost weekly.
Check for Updates and allow all the updates, it may improve your stability.

I've updated or rebuilt multiple Business AMD & Intel Systems, MacPro Intel BootCamp Native Boot & VM's, and Mac M1 using ARM version of Win11 within a Parallels VM.

Win11, The early versions were buggy, slow, cpu intensive... newer versions much cleaner. They improved the hardware drivers for GPU, On-board NVME SSD's, Card Readers, etc. These early drivers were hanging Win11 at times.

If you don't like the Win10/Win11 Tile "Start" Menu... for a few bucks you can get a "Win7 Menu" that is promptly supported with all the Win10/Win11 updates. Provides an improved "Feel" for those accustomed to Win7 & Older Menu systems. Much better and stable than free or open SW.

Start11 is for both Win10 & Win11.

They also provide many tweaks, icons, and customization products: The Object Desktop provides all their products in 1 Suite.

Good Luck, I was there with ya on initial release... I so disliked Win11. Now I find it even more stable than Win10.

Thanks for the information. I have checked and have the latest updates. Will check out the classic start menu.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC