Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Windows vs Mac

Hi Fred, I have two screens currently on my desktop. Sometimes I wonder what for because I'm not very good at multitasking.
The only reason I have an I pad is Multivista has it setup for the work that I do for them, I do prefer my Android tablets. I suppose it is what a person gets use to using, and are comfortable with. Besides I keep saying I'm really going to retire, maybe I really will someday. Since the jobs I have open right now only take me seven to eight days each month it's almost like being retired.
Best of luck to you, and happy new year.

Thank you all for responding. There's a lot of terrific insights in your posts. I used Windows PCs for years until I got a MacBook from work. I've actually had 3 over the years.

All the software I use runs on both Windows and Mac. I've been looking at using WebODM for photogrammetry which runs in a docker container on both.

I've ordered a MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16" with 32GB memory a 1TB SSD. It has 10 core CPU and 16 core GPU. I also got a 32" 4K HDR monitor from LG.

I was looking at a Windows custom build but quickly became confused by the subtle differences between all the options. I felt like there were too many ways for me to make a mistake.

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting caught up with editing that I've left idle.

Thanks again to everyone for responding.

...... I was looking at a Windows custom build but quickly became confused by the subtle differences between all the options. I felt like there were too many ways for me to make a mistake.

Having just designed and ordered a new Windows laptop I have to agree there. It was a daunting task to sort through all the myriad of options and end up with a system I HOPE performs at the level I need and that my wallet can handle LOL!

It was so perplexing that I built and ordered 3 different units changing my mind canceling and reordering LOL! I finally got it like I want and it should be here next week. MAC is a LOT easier to just pick and order for sure.

Tough decision, right? I've been down this road. For photo/video editing, Mac's M1 Pro is a powerhouse, especially on the go. Windows desktops offer more raw power, but a laptop's portability factor is unmatched, especially with windows 11 (you can get it here: Windows 11 Professional (Retail)). Consider your workflow and lifestyle. Good luck!

Last edited:
Just like SnowGhost I used to own a network solutions firm and was 100% Microsoft. I had a client that wanted to move to Macs so I started learning and using them back in 2005. I now have a creative firm and only use Apple computers. Not only do they just work, they last for freaking ever. I still do most of my work on a late 2015 iMac. All I had to do was add memory to 32gb and it is still going strong. If you are going to go laptop, go with macbook pro and get as much as you can, especially if you are doing anything in 5k video. The extra investment will help your new machine last for years to come.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services