Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Working with your local TV network affiliates

AerialZ

Reaction score
Are you a talented operator with the skillset to provide smooth aerial video? You may want to consider submitting relevant video to your local TV network affiliates, even if they have 'their own drone.' Not only is it free advertising for you, but could lead to bigger and better things down the road. People will take notice of your talent and creativity and you will develop relationships. You just might be offered a position or a contract relationship to become their exclusive aerial media provider. Working in broadcast TV was not something I planned on being closely involved in, but I can share that the experience over the past 1-1/2 years has been fantastic. While only a portion of my regular work, the experience gained from working with the talent in the broadcast industry has been irreplacable. There is no hiding mistakes when broadcasting live from the drone!

I'd be happy to try and help answer questions for anyone considering getting in to this industry.
Here's a small sampling of stories and events I shot over 2017.

Good post @AerialZ

We used to do work for WLOS13 in Asheville. They used a good bit of our material until their Corp went and created their own UAS dept. It was great exposure while it lasted LOL.

Reactions: AerialZ
Good post @AerialZ

We used to do work for WLOS13 in Asheville. They used a good bit of our material until their Corp went and created their own UAS dept. It was great exposure while it lasted LOL.
Thanks Al! Yes, it seems to be the way that many network corps are going. It is well worth the small effort for operators to show off their skill. It could lead to long-term relationships and jump start a commercial flying venture. There are more affiliates working-out contracts with established local operators as it's MUCH easier for them to maintain a high level of service without all of the associated liabilities.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for sharing... I find it interesting since it's not something I would have considered. Our local paper has been downsized considerably, so I could see where they could have cut any UAS section and simply gone to outsourcing for UAS footage. I'll give it a shot.

Reactions: AerialZ
So what is the average pay for a gig like this?
I wouldn't even know how to describe an 'average' pay in this industry. This is something where developing a relationship and showing them the quality of your work dictates what you are worth to them. Is it worth free advertising to you? Exposure? Paid per shoot? A commercial spot about your business? There are many dynamics involved with becoming affiliated with a broadcast outlet and I would recommend doing what you think is best to solidify a long-term relationship.

Are you a talented operator with the skillset to provide smooth aerial video? You may want to consider submitting relevant video to your local TV network affiliates, even if they have 'their own drone.' Not only is it free advertising for you, but could lead to bigger and better things down the road. People will take notice of your talent and creativity and you will develop relationships. You just might be offered a position or a contract relationship to become their exclusive aerial media provider. Working in broadcast TV was not something I planned on being closely involved in, but I can share that the experience over the past 1-1/2 years has been fantastic. While only a portion of my regular work, the experience gained from working with the talent in the broadcast industry has been irreplacable. There is no hiding mistakes when broadcasting live from the drone!

I'd be happy to try and help answer questions for anyone considering getting in to this industry.

What bird and camera are you shooting with? I was mainly curious about which zoom lens you were using (water skiing) .

What bird and camera are you shooting with? I was mainly curious about which zoom lens you were using (water skiing) .
In this case, everything was shot on a P4P in 4K (UHD), cropped to 1080. That is one of the advantages to filming in 4K. Not only will your HD footage be better, but you have creative options to zoom and provide additional movement in post production.

I work for a local news station and almost daily use their MP for live beauty shots of the bay for news and weather.
Here are a few samples, more in my FB page.
Make sure to turn on the audio button.

facebook.com/3sproDrones/

Many news groups are not set for 4K.
Shoot in 1080p. Contact news desks with your story.
Best opportunity is the long range story that calls for the reuse of your special viewpoint.

There is no hiding mistakes when broadcasting live from the drone!

Thanks for posting your experience. I work for a global, US based oil and gas corporation. Have about a thousand questions on how best to transmit UAV video from the vehicle or monitor to a location several miles away. Possibly cellular network or otherwise live stream to a website, etc.

I'm interested in the components required to do this effectively and reliably. I'll send a private message.

Thanks in advance!

I have a question, probably more than just one. I live in a remote area, between Sacramento Ca, and Fresno, CA, in the Sierra foothills. Also live next to two major lakes.
Question one, what are the news folks looking for? Beauty shots, action such as fires, accidents, crime footage. Reason I ask, I know nothing about the broadcast industry and how do you get your foot in the door?

Great information!
Let me also add another outlet that people don't think about too often and that is public broadcasting in your area. My film company has worked with Peninsula Area Public Access TV in Port Angeles (PAPA TV), Washington now for about 2 years. Through the Clallam County lodging tax fund we were able to acquire grant money to create a series called On the Road. Each 30-minute episode took about 3 months to make. (We've made four episodes so far).
The On the Road - The Olympic Discovery Trail won the best documentary and informative feature at this month's Alliance for Community Media - Northwest Region, which encompasses Alaska, Alberta, Canada, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. No lack of people entering the film festival. We at PAPA TV were thrilled that a little public access station could produce two winning entries!
Public broadcasting stations are not traditional television and are always looking for folks that would produce content to be aired on their stations. Especially local content. This is where a drone really shines and you can learn about television broadcasting without too much effort. You may not make a ton of money …… but it is a way to get your foot in the door, experience wise and you can get your content on air fairly easily.
While most people do not have 30-minutes to watch a video, I am including the Olympic Discovery Trail below. It follows Dave LaSorsa, USA Triathlon bike racer (he won 10th in the world last year) along the North Olympic Discovery Marathon route from the tribal center at Blyn, Washington north to the Port Angeles Waterfront trail along the beautiful Strait of Juan de Fuca. We stop at interesting spots and do interviews with people along the route. There are some pretty cool drone shots along the way as well. If you do watch, let me know what you think ok? Thanks!

Reactions: John Githens
Yep, the network affiliates are definitely moving in the direction of corporate oversight of UAS ops. FOX, for example, uses Gold Seal exclusively. All their RPICs, nationwide, are required to go through the Gold Seal program.

Reactions: BigAl07
What camera and lens would you advise on the Inspire 2 for video production, or should I say, what can you get away with?

Great information!
Let me also add another outlet that people don't think about too often and that is public broadcasting in your area. My film company has worked with Peninsula Area Public Access TV in Port Angeles (PAPA TV), Washington now for about 2 years. Through the Clallam County lodging tax fund we were able to acquire grant money to create a series called On the Road. Each 30-minute episode took about 3 months to make. (We've made four episodes so far).
The On the Road - The Olympic Discovery Trail won the best documentary and informative feature at this month's Alliance for Community Media - Northwest Region, which encompasses Alaska, Alberta, Canada, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. No lack of people entering the film festival. We at PAPA TV were thrilled that a little public access station could produce two winning entries!
Public broadcasting stations are not traditional television and are always looking for folks that would produce content to be aired on their stations. Especially local content. This is where a drone really shines and you can learn about television broadcasting without too much effort. You may not make a ton of money …… but it is a way to get your foot in the door, experience wise and you can get your content on air fairly easily.
While most people do not have 30-minutes to watch a video, I am including the Olympic Discovery Trail below. It follows Dave LaSorsa, USA Triathlon bike racer (he won 10th in the world last year) along the North Olympic Discovery Marathon route from the tribal center at Blyn, Washington north to the Port Angeles Waterfront trail along the beautiful Strait of Juan de Fuca. We stop at interesting spots and do interviews with people along the route. There are some pretty cool drone shots along the way as well. If you do watch, let me know what you think ok? Thanks!

Impressive work! I can see why this was one of the winning entries. Nice mix of stills, interviews, eye-level video scenes, soundtrack and of course, aerial scenes. Were there any entries from WhidbeyTV?

Impressive work! I can see why this was one of the winning entries. Nice mix of stills, interviews, eye-level video scenes, soundtrack and of course, aerial scenes. Were there any entries from WhidbeyTV?
Thank you John for your kind words. It was a collaborative work for sure, with more than just aerials in this one.
I don't remember seeing anything from WhidbeyTV John. That doesn't mean that they did not enter one of the 18 categories that were available. Thanks again.

Yep, the network affiliates are definitely moving in the direction of corporate oversight of UAS ops. FOX, for example, uses Gold Seal exclusively. All their RPICs, nationwide, are required to go through the Gold Seal program.

What does gold seal offer if you already have your part 107.

What does gold seal offer if you already have your part 107.

I can't answer for @Russ Still but I can tell you I've been pleased with Gold Seal UAV Ground school over the last few years with how they are constantly tweaking their program to stay ahead of FAA changes. For instance when ~107.29 became available for us they already had a Night Flying module ready to go. We also use it to study for recert testing and it's a ONE TIME fee so it keeps on giving year after year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM