Join our growing community today!

Would like some pricing suggestions on a project

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
“He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.”
― Benjamin Franklin
My man Benjamin

Reactions: AH-1G
Acquiring a none FDOT permit in the state of California through CalTrans (with LE cooperation) is not as easy as it was before. Last year, I turned down a contract by "Build San Jose" because the pit was dead smack right in the heart of downtown and the city of San Jose cannot give me the permit that I asked for and in return asked me to figure things out as a contractor. I could easily have figured things out because this is not my first rodeo, but I also do not what it to be my last. Through the years, I have been spoiled by having my paper COA and permits provided to me by my main client. Thus, I no longer care about how much is being offered if my client(s) has no concerns about safety.

Evaluating the PO's post, and putting myself in his shoes, and if I'm to use common sense, I would not take this contract.

Don't be like this guy.

Take note of the operator in the video. Why is he not wearing his minimum PPE? Hardhat, boots, and safety aids? cones and VO. Dude like this is sloppy and is probably a flyby with a rich quick mentality, undermining safety.

As a previous general contractor in California, the list of permits can be endless. In California anything not specifically permitted is prohibited, and if prohibited can become permitted if you find a politician with a family member or close friend that needs a well compensated job they don’t have to show up for, or provide the basis for creating another government agency.

Reactions: R.P..R
If this was a California gig (I am aware it’s not) he would have to submit an application for permit to CalTrans and pay the cost for a CalTrans rep to remain on site for the duration of the shoot monitoring traffic conditions and safety.

I’m actually more than a little surprised any legitimate engineering firm would initiate any kind of project without first establishing precisely how it would be done, along with establishing various risk factors. Company insurance carriers are very big at eliminating any activity that could incur financial liability. Public relations departments can be equally restrictive when it comes to preserving a company reputation.

I don't know about liability, but seems to me if they contract someone to do a job, the liability lies on the contractor, just as it does for me and my current jobs.

Reactions: dronecyclops
Deep pocket principle. Go after whomever has the most $ while showing how each participant was or should have been aware of the risks. In this case the city could be held liable as well as they are responsible for the public safety at an intersection. If they allowed the activity they bear responsibility for an accident in addition to the contracting firms that performed the work.

Any personal injury attorney reading this thread has to be salivating over the prospect of a personal injury suit induced by the OP’s intended method of operation. If anything happened the case is already won as the OP has openly indicated his contempt and disregard for the law, along with those that obey the law.

I don't know about liability, but seems to me if they contract someone to do a job, the liability lies on the contractor, just as it does for me and my current jobs.
You be right, the client is paying for the knowledge, certification, judgment, and expertise of the UAS operator. So yes, in an accident "most " of the liability will be on the UAS operator.... but not all necessarily. Depends on Cali civil law. It gets complicated, that's how lawyers get rich.:)

Merk, you are getting hammered because most of us here want to live by the rules. It's kind of like sports, you either play by the rules or get kicked out of the game.
First you need to check your airspace.
Find another 107 pilot, and I would recommend an observer.
What is the environment like on these intersections? Can you fly without overflying people?
It sounds like an interesting job, I would think that a thousand isn't enough for two pilots and an observer.

I agree. Charge what it costs to do it right/legally/safely. Stop thinking like a non-professional.

Great another guy giving good drone pilots a bad name! Don´t forget to mention the nice little fines that the FAA would love to issue. ;)

Take note of the operator in the video. Why is he not wearing his minimum PPE? Hardhat, boots, and safety aids? cones and VO. Dude like this is sloppy and is probably a flyby with a rich quick mentality, undermining safety.

The sad part is he was working for one the richest and best known construction defects attorneys in the US. Guy owns a huge firm but seems to have gone low ball on the drone work.

"So you're telling me you NEVER jaywalk? you NEVER go over the speed limit when driving? You always report any items you buy online that you dont get charged sales tax?"
Disrespect towards an experienced administrator of the forum is not smart, nor nice.

The FAA does not care if you "see any issue." The 107 rules are for everyone. We see a lot of folks arrive on this forum with their minds already made up to break a few rules, they are just looking for confirmation and support. Since this is a PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL REMOTE PILOTS forum, you will not find it here.

May I suggest a hobbyist forum? They seem to be a bit more laissez-faire about those pesky FAA regulations.

"Maybe I am being arrogant"...well, you said it:oops:
I'm not disrespecting anyone, I'm disagreeing and trying to make a point. I never said the FAA would care about my opinion. Nor was i looking for confirmation or support. My original question was about pricing. Someone else mentioned needing multiple pilots and i replied to that. I just find it odd that people can be so intent on following every law in one area, but then they are ok ignoring laws in other areas. I don't understand that reasoning.

I'm not disrespecting anyone, I'm disagreeing and trying to make a point. I never said the FAA would care about my opinion. Nor was i looking for confirmation or support. My original question was about pricing. Someone else mentioned needing multiple pilots and i replied to that. I just find it odd that people can be so intent on following every law in one area, but then they are ok ignoring laws in other areas. I don't understand that reasoning.

Taking unnecessary risk, dooms any business. No one is against you, bro and if you carefully read all the replies they are advices from folks who has done more and some in this industry. I for one has learned a thing or two by reading your thread.

Your rate is good, specially for the allotted time, just be safe and plan your mission.

I just find it odd that people can be so intent on following every law in one area, but then they are ok ignoring laws in other areas. I don't understand that reasoning.

Most of us may drive 5 or 10 over the speed limit, and yes we are breaking the law. We have direct control of the car, we do not have direct control of our drones. What you are failing to understand is when you put something in the air you are entering the world of aviation, the rules are much different and much stricter and for good reason.
I do understand that they are not enforced as they should be, but have an accident and the FAA and NTSB will be all over you. People here are attempting to make you understand the importance of playing by the rules. I isn't to harass you, it is to make you a better and wiser drone operator.

Go with God. But when you come to a forum of professionals and state your intent to ignore regulations, expect pushback.
ps- have you informed your client you are planning to ignore FAA regulations during the job?

Reactions: PatR and Tgleason

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215