Join our growing community today!

Yuneec H520 Payload Drop System "Simple"

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
We designed this to replace our DJI Inspire we use for Search & Rescue. This could be used for many reasons in Search & Rescue as well as other aspects of Public Safety. We are using a fairly new Yuneec H520 w/CGOET camera.

Ok I made (4) test drops this evening.

1. 2-way radio, PEX rod, with a 3' string (lots of wobble/rotation of payload) dropped from 10'
  2. 2-way radio, PEX rod, solid mount to PEX dropped from 10'
  3. 2-way radio, PEX rod, solid mount to PEX dropped from 60' and using a "target" for the drop area
  4. 2X-Large Full Rain Suit (aprox 2lbs), PEX rod, solid mount dropped from 15'

Here's a video we slammed together showing today's testing:

I own the same rig, and would love to hear more about battery drain, handling characteristics and the view from the ST16 controller. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: BigAl07
I own the same rig, and would love to hear more about battery drain, handling characteristics and the view from the ST16 controller. Thanks for sharing!

battery drain: This depends on weight of payload as well as "stability" of the attachment to the aircraft. The less the payload rocks/swings the better. If the payload swings the motors work harder to offset it so keep the payload tight and close to the aircraft. I would cut flight time/distance in HALF (or less) when delivering a payload.

handling characteristics: Pretty much same as above. Lighter & tighter payloads have minimal effect on handling. The heavier the load the more thrust will be needed to lift off. The more the load wings the harder the motors will work to keep the aircraft stable. A heavy swinging load will be more work to lift off and stabilize.

view from the ST16 controller: The view is as expected... you look straight down and see over/around the payload when you're pretty much directly over the target. Simply rotate camera straight down when you're in position and make fine adjustments to position (I rotate the speed control to TURTLE position to no over shoot my target) and when you're on target raise the landing gear. I think I shot some video of one of the drops. I'll pull the SD card and if so I'll upload that video and leave a link here.

I think I shot some video of one of the drops. I'll pull the SD card and if so I'll upload that video and leave a link here.

I just pulled my SD card and apparently I did NOT hit record because there are no video files on it. I'll try and get some video this week of it.

Doh!!!! Welp, just another opportunity to practice. o_O

Thanks for the detailed explanations. This is really interesting.

In about 8 - 10 years, this kind of thing is going to be routine.

Reactions: BigAl07
Doh!!!! Welp, just another opportunity to practice. o_O

Thanks for the detailed explanations. This is really interesting.

In about 8 - 10 years, this kind of thing is going to be routine.

Apparently I was looking at the wrong SD card LOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM